Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun holiday single person in May

Options
  • 04-04-2016 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi
    Im keen to take a solo sun holiday in Spain or Portugal in May after an illness
    Problen is im single so most travel agents, holiday packages only have the based on pp sharing or single supplement scandalous price.
    Can anyone point me in right direction of a decent hotel and flight preferably Shannon or Cork that doesnt seem to fleece me.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ryan Mac Sweeney

Hi there
    I have read your post. I am sorry to hear about your illness. If you are thinking of travelling solo I would suggest Malaga in Spain as a great place to go as its a great city and its only a 2hr 30 min flight from Cork or Shannon with Aer Lingus or Ryanair. Malaga city is quite undiscovered and there is lots to see and do such as Malaga Castle to which you climb to the top and you then have panaromaic views of the Costa Del Sol and there is also Malaga Cathedral Museo de Picasso Malaga Automobile Museum if youre a car fan and also lots of bars and restaurants and sightseeing. May is a lovely time to go as its not too hot yet and as its low season its also nice and quiet. There are also lots of hotels in Malaga City you just log onto travigo and you will get some really good deals there. There is also a good train service from Malaga airport to the centre of Malaga. You could even go for a weekend break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭pebbletroy

Thank you much appreciated

Hey OP, I have taken solo trips before, usually city breaks.
    I would recommend Barcelona, great city lots to see & do, and there's a beach. So best of both!
    Just stay in a nice hotel in a nice area would be my advice.

If I was going for a week in the sun alone I think I would go on an all inclusive hotel package, I think I would feel safer, also it might be easier for dinner alone etc. It probably would be more expensive, but feck it OP, if you have been unwell, treat yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

pebbletroy wrote: »
    Hi
    Im keen to take a solo sun holiday in Spain or Portugal in May after an illness
    Problen is im single so most travel agents, holiday packages only have the based on pp sharing or single supplement scandalous price.
    Can anyone point me in right direction of a decent hotel and flight preferably Shannon or Cork that doesnt seem to fleece me.
    Thanks

Cambrils in Spain might work.
    Its only few minutes on bus from Salou but worlds apart.
    Nice area.
    Loads of restaurants.
    Reasonably senic.
    Long long promenade for walking - can literally walk whole way into Salou (too much of a walk post op) or in the opposite direction where it gets nice and quiet.
    Very safe/quite as not that many bars - if anything might be overly boring as solo traveller.

Was there in July and got really busy in the evenings with Spanish tourist just walking up and down and up and down and giving very little space to the wobbly Irish man!
    Wouldn't expect it to be as busy in May - I think if looking for serious sun would leave it till end of May in that area, but open to correction.

Edit: You would be looking at Ryanair into Barcelona Reus (Ryanair use names fairly loosely - Reus is nearly 100km from Barcelona) which I think is Dublin only.
    Aer Lingus fly to main airport of Barcelona EL Prat - but would be a very very long transfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Port de Pollence on the island of Majorca is gorgeous. A lovely Pine Walk with lots of seating benches to sit on if you get tired walking, right beside the water. Plenty of restaurants where you can just sit and watch. You don't have to have a meal, just a fizzy water or beer etc. You can hop on the local bus and visit the old town of Pollenca and the old town of Alcudia. Two nice day trips from your base in Port de Pollenca for a lunch and stroll. Have a look at the Dania apartments, part of the Dania Hotel. Fly with Ryanair to Palma. Go to the local bus station in Palma centre at Plaza Espana and get the local bus to Port de Pollenca for about €6. If you stay in the Dania apartments, you have all the facilities of the hotel to hand. Including a lovely swimming pool area that juts out in to the sea. Lots of sunbeds to sit and relax. We went last May. One of the best places we have visited. It's a nice upmarket resort. Not much nightlife.

• Advertisement
Advertisement