Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can you buy Wheat Gluten flour in Dublin?

Options
  • 04-04-2016 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I am baking brown bread but unless I use considerable amounts of white flour, the bread crumbles when cutting it. I read that what you need to use to give brown bread more elasticity is a product called wheat gluten. I want to try it in my bread baking but nobody here knows what it is or where to buy it. Anyone?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Gluten is a protein composite found in wheat. Normally when making bread, the kneading action stimulates gluten production which gives stretch and elasticity to the dough. The more you knead, the more gluten is formed. What you're looking for is basically gluten that has been isolated and dehydrated to form a powder. According to Google, you should look for "Vital Wheat Gluten". My best guess would be a health food store like Holland and Barrett. However, it does look very difficult to find for most people.

It might look something like this:

506a12b1fb04d60a65000d37._w.344_h.412_s.fit_.jpg

edit: Seems you can get it on Amazon.co.uk:http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=vital+wheat+gluten

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

Faith wrote: »
    Gluten is a protein composite found in wheat. Normally when making bread, the kneading action stimulates gluten production which gives stretch and elasticity to the dough. The more you knead, the more gluten is formed. What you're looking for is basically gluten that has been isolated and dehydrated to form a powder. According to Google, you should look for "Vital Wheat Gluten". My best guess would be a health food store like Holland and Barrett. However, it does look very difficult to find for most people.

It might look something like this:

506a12b1fb04d60a65000d37._w.344_h.412_s.fit_.jpg

edit: Seems you can get it on Amazon.co.uk:http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=vital+wheat+gluten

Thanks! I asked health stores. People don't know what it is. I could order online but was hoping I could find locally. Appreciate your post

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Check one of the asian markets. Gluten is the main ingredient for making seitan.

ARe you making yeast bread or soda bread? Soda bread is usually crumlby, but contains a proportion of white flour. For yeast bread, odlums (and probably other brands), do a strong brown flour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Advertisement