Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant after IVF / ICSI / IUI assited

Options
  • 04-04-2016 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

Hi girls,

Just wondering is there many mammy's to be here who have conceived through assisted fertility? We got out positive after 3 rounds ( 2 frozen and 1 fresh cycle).

I am sure everyone is nervous, but is it normal to be really scared something will go wrong? I am literally in shock firstly that we were lucky enough to get here and terrified that something is going to happen? Every time I feel a little twinge or have any type of discharge I am convinced something is gone wrong. Just wondering is this normal? And will it go away?

Thanks so much xxx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

So with fear and panic we did a test. Pregnant 2/3 weeks. Feel a huge sense of relief :)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

You know the most of my story at this stage, but my experience is that the nerves are completely normal.

I am at 20 weeks now and I still spend some part of every day panicking that I am having a miscarriage.

It is lessening over time, but I am not sure that it will ever go away for me. Also, the time I had spent panicking about a miscarriage I now spend panicking about fetal abnormalities and all the other stuff that can go wrong!

brokensoul wrote: »
    You know the most of my story at this stage, but my experience is that the nerves are completely normal.

I am at 20 weeks now and I still spend some part of every day panicking that I am having a miscarriage.

It is lessening over time, but I am not sure that it will ever go away for me. Also, the time I had spent panicking about a miscarriage I now spend panicking about fetal abnormalities and all the other stuff that can go wrong!

Thank you for your message broken soul. Wow I can't believe it's 20 weeks for you already that's amazing.

I think taking the test ourselves yesterday has calmed us both a little. Up until then we only had the hospitals word that the blood test was positive. But seeing it in the hand was amazing.

I suppose no matter what stage you are you always have the panic set in the back of your mind. Just need to quieten it down so I can enjoy where we are X

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

stickybean wrote: »
    Hi girls,

Just wondering is there many mammy's to be here who have conceived through assisted fertility? We got out positive after 3 rounds ( 2 frozen and 1 fresh cycle).

I am sure everyone is nervous, but is it normal to be really scared something will go wrong? I am literally in shock firstly that we were lucky enough to get here and terrified that something is going to happen? Every time I feel a little twinge or have any type of discharge I am convinced something is gone wrong. Just wondering is this normal? And will it go away?

Thanks so much xxx

Congratulations! I am 27 weeks pregnant after 1 round of IUI! We still have to pinch ourselves that we were so lucky! We were trying for a baby naturally for 6 1/2 years when we did IUI. I was so nervous, and now I have the nerves of actually having a baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

Congrats Stickybean!!

Yes it is sooo normal to still be nervous at least it was for me! I had my first after IVF & FET in 2014 and I thought the hard bit would be getting pregnant (well it was lol) but the worry didn't go away when I saw that positive test. And to make you feel better, once the baby arrives you'll be worrying about all sorts then too!! :p

I am 8 weeks pregnant now on my 2nd after another FET and just had our first scan at the clinic last week, saw a good strong heartbeat thank god but of course still nervous of something going wrong. Even though I think I read somewhere that if you see a heartbeat early on the miscarriage chances reduce a lot but I wouldn't take it for granted either so please god all goes well.

I think it's just from years of failure of infertility that it's imprinted on your brain to expect the worst. Hopefully after a while you'll be able to relax and trust it and before you know it that little bundle will be in your arms and keeping you up all night for weeks on end. And it's the best thing ever :) x

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply genie_us. And huge congratulations to you too x

I've my early scan in 11 days (not counting or anything :D ). I think I will be able to relax a little then. At least I hope.

I agree, years of failed attempts have made me assume this won't work too. But I've been doing some really good meditations the last few days. They were recommended to me by a girl on here. They are just loads of positive messages and thoughts. Can't do any harm I guess.

Also I must confess, I did buy some clear blue test and have done two since I found out. I know, it's a really bad idea, but I do feel it has given me some comfort...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I think everyone worries. Maybe it's much worse (the worry) if you have tried for a long time or have ivf because you know how long it took to get here. I felt good after my early scan even though things can still go wrong. I'm trying to tell myself that while some people have MC after seeing the heartbeat, many many more at my stage go on to have successful pregnancies.

The Headspace app is free and good for clearing your head.

stickybean wrote: »

Also I must confess, I did buy some clear blue test and have done two since I found out. I know, it's a really bad idea, but I do feel it has given me some comfort...

I got my positive after our FET on Paddy's day and I tested every week until the first scan last week! I just needed the reassurance I was terrified of it being a chemical pregnancy or a false positive or the progesterone... I don't think I'll ever fully relax :o

Beanybabog wrote: »

The Headspace app is free and good for clearing your head.

I must look it up, thank you :)

genie_us wrote: »
    I got my positive after our FET on Paddy's day and I tested every week until the first scan last week! I just needed the reassurance I was terrified of it being a chemical pregnancy or a false positive or the progesterone... I don't think I'll ever fully relax :o

I have one test left. And 10 days to my scan. I think I will do it over the weekend. I really wish I could just throw it out.

Those three minutes sitting on the loo, moping the pee from your hand, the seat, the specimen jar, trying to compose yourself knowing the OH is the other side of the door dying to hear. Then trying to find a place to balance the test where you can see it, but you're trying not to look, just incase... those 3 minutes last FOREVER!!!!

• Advertisement

Oh god I know, it's the worst.

My clinic don't do blood results at the end of the tww, it's a normal preg test. Scariest 3 minutes of life, I could barely do it my hands were shaking so much!

We got the blood test, did it at 8am, then they didn't ring until 2.20pm. I honestly thought I was going to go mad.

Then 2 days later the OH said, what if they got it wrong. Or what if they lied? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Talk about getting someones mind racing. :eek: Then he proceeded to tell me about this clinic in the US he read about where they gave the the wrong results to up their numbers. I literally could of hit him... and then the testing started....

Oh god I'd kill him!!!

I restrained myself... just about :D

Advertisement