Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesla/Lithium stocks discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/16/business/elon-musk-interview-tesla.html

"He said he was bracing for “at least a few months of extreme torture from the short-sellers, who are desperately pushing a narrative that will possibly result in Tesla’s destruction.”"

If i was a bull that statement would scare the bejesus out of me. Sounds like he's readying to shift blame.

"In the interview on Thursday, Mr. Musk alternated between laughter and tears."

Translation: Musk is unhinged.

"In the interview, Mr. Musk added that he did not regret his Twitter post — “Why would I?”"

I could think of a few reasons. :rolleyes: Seriously for such a smart guy Musk really lacks common sense. Even with the SEC at his door he still continues to bait them. Maybe it comes back to the "shifting blame" point above.

The entire article reads like a guy who feels like he has done all he can and if it turns south then it won't be his fault. Musk the blameless narcissist!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

can someone give a link for either tesla or a lithium mining company

i'm clueless to shares & markets, whats the minimum investment ??

thank you,

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

fryup wrote: »

thank you,

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/tsla

That's the details on Tesla's publicly traded stock, traded under the ticker symbol TSLA. I guess the minimum would be one share which is the price you see on that link. $~315 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

thank you,

With DeGiro the minimum investment is one share and the transaction fees are very low.

In addition to Tesla, I'm invested in Albemarle (ALB), the world's top lithium producer. The shares have taken a beating lately but I think it's a good long term holding.

https://www.albemarle.com/

If you really are clueless about shares and markets, I would recommend reading up a bit before parting with any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

but Lithium is the way to go yes?? with electric cars and the like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭denismc

Lithium is in oversupply at the minute so not really, the people betting on Lithium are looking several years down the line I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's kind of stuck they haven't perfected it in 100 years, some interesting things happening with it but maybe better look at some companies working on it, Sony, Panasonic, LG etc. Or play it another way buy caterpillar shares going take a lot of digging equipment to get all this lithium out of the ground.

It's kind of stuck they haven't perfected it in 100 years, some interesting things happening with it but maybe better look at some companies working on it, Sony, Panasonic, LG etc. Or play it another way buy caterpillar shares going take a lot of digging equipment to get all this lithium out of the ground.

I have no opinion on Caterpillar shares but how much of their sales is related to lithium do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Just be ready to sell all when the hydrogen engine comes.

Sabre Man wrote: »
    I have no opinion on Caterpillar shares but how much of their sales is related to lithium do you think?

Couldn't even guess maybe less than .3%, old article but they do seem to have patents and are working on the technology for themselves http://www.mining.com/web/caterpillar-develops-proof-concept-battery-electric-lhd/

• Advertisement

Capture17.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

Kuva wrote: »

Or when they can extract infinite amounts of lithium from sea water.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

At least he wasn't smoking weed, phew.

Have to laugh (not literally, figuratively) at this bullsh1t of how hard he works. All these rich lads getting up at 5 o clock, some of them go to the gym, or swim in their pools, god love them.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45218935
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/17/business/tesla-elon-musk-interview-takeaways.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

If you are looking at the material supply chain Spherical Graphite manufacturers and Nickel are the places the smart money should go.
    Lithium is only 3-4% by weight of the pack and not exactly rare, el diablo's sea water extraction is too expensive right now... but wouldn't be far off viability for lithium produced as a byproduct at existing sea-water desalination plants if it came to it. Cobalt is a component of most energy-dense chemistries but there are low and no-cobalt chemistries suitable for many markets like Lithium Iron Phosphate and Lithium Manganese Oxide.

Spherical graphite used in battery anodes is a highly processed material with lots of supply of the raw material but a limited number of companies and production facilities available to make the product to the specs required.

Nickel is used in the cathode to enhance the energy per unit mass of the pack. Most current nickel-based chemistries use nickel in ratios of 1-1-1, 5-3-2 or 6-2-2 of nickel-manganese-cobalt. Many manufacturers next-gen batteries are moving to 8-1-1 ratio and slightly increasing the amount of these materials in the cathode at the same time. Nickel is also well priced at the moment: http://www.infomine.com/investment/metal-prices/nickel/5-year/
    Kuva wrote: »

As an engineer who has worked with deployable H2 production and fuel cells, I'd bet several body parts on that being less likely than invasion by pigs with jet packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

denismc wrote: »
    Lithium is in oversupply at the minute so not really, the people betting on Lithium are looking several years down the line I would have thought.
    The price of lithium hydroxide and the higher purity grades coming out of Australia has stayed fairly stable, compared to the brine stuff from Chile and other places which has dropped a lot. The global lithium ETF is bearish at the minute though. Morgan Stanley kicked off the current bearishness with an oversupply warning then a few weeks later took a big position in Galaxy Minerals. I read up on the Australian companies every morning and they're all sold out, cant produce enough for even current demand, things should turn soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

Elon rejects the idea of taking things easy after another all nighter.

https://www.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1031111742103814144

gcf96anh8xg11.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Elon Musk drops Tesla take-private idea

https://www.ft.com/content/012303ca-a81c-11e8-8ecf-a7ae1beff35b

What a shock. NOT!!! This guy is the Lance Armstrong of the tech world. Do your job SEC.

Skelet0n wrote: »

Would that be Ryan Brinkman?

https://www.tipranks.com/analysts/ryan-brinkman

If you click on TSLA you can see that he has a very poor track record.

Success Rate on Stock
    8 out of 25 ratings were profitable

Average Profit on Stock
    Average return per rating on TSLA -17.3%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ha:

wqg9yennf7j11.png

Seriously what is he smoking? Why pick this target? Just because the guy said a massive rigid metal tube couldnt fit around underwater turns that divers had to remove their air tanks and contort their bodies to get around?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,470 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Thargor wrote: »
    Just because the guy said a massive rigid metal tube couldnt fit around underwater turns

Well he actually told Musk to stick the submarine up his hole. He's a dick.

Not that that is in anyway an excuse for what Musk told him in return. That man shouldn't be near twitter, he's clearly under so much pressure he's having mental problems.

I guess the dick will come out of this a rich man though!

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/inside-albemarles-quest-reinvent-lithium-050430271.html

Interesting article about Albemarle.

Key takeaway:
    While solid-state batteries are not expected to replace lithium ion batteries as the industry standard, they are seen as a promising technological evolution. And importantly for Albemarle, they will consume even more lithium.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

unkel wrote: »
    Well he actually told Musk to stick the submarine up his hole. He's a dick.

Musk turned up out of no where to get in the way of the operation to get himself some free PR while the rest of the crew rescued the kids. Don't think he came across as a dick at all.
    That man shouldn't be near twitter
    He shouldn't be running a company.

Musk turned up out of no where to get in the way of the operation to get himself some free PR while the rest of the crew rescued the kids.

Blatantly untrue.

Elon Musk said on Twitter July 4 he was "happy to help" the Thai government in its rescue effort "if there is a way to do so", and continued to post about the rescue mission over the coming days.

Thai authorities and representatives for Musk begin discussing the possibility of using resources from Musk's companies to help rescue the boys' in the cave, including using technology from SpaceX, Tesla, or The Boring Company.

Source:
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/thai-cave-rescue-timeline-how-it-unfolded-2018-7?r=US&IR=T/#monday-july-9-5-am-tesla-and-spacex-ceo-elon-musk-posts-photos-and-video-from-inside-the-cave-14

Musk at it again, I think at this stage he has something on the Brit, either that or he's completely lost it but he's started attacking him again with stronger language.
    I've been to the area he lives in so i'm kinda thinking along the same line Elon is so I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt until this is resolved
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/05/tesla-ceo-elon-musk-calls-british-cave-diver-child-rapist.html

I reckon longterm Tesla shares are not a great proposition but at the current $290 ish or whatever they are there's a very decent chance there's a quick 10% or so to be made. 3rd quarter results will be decent / on target I expect :)
    Also, Elon's verbose will get them up too you'd expect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭b4bmm

Augeo wrote: »
    I reckon longterm Tesla shares are not a great proposition but at the current $290 ish or whatever they are there's a very decent chance there's a quick 10% or so to be made. 3rd quarter results will be decent / on target I expect :)
    Also, Elon's verbose will get them up too you'd expect :)

I’m the opposite, I think Q3 will be ok maybe lower end of guidance targets (huge growth compared to any other automaker) and over the long term the growth is phenomenal. There has already been 1.72Km2 of land allocated in Shanghai for Tesla gigafactory with many banks vying for finance solutions which will break ground next year.

The growth in storage will go through the roof over the next couple of years. It’s an absolute bargain with a investment timeframe out to 2025. Audi/BMW and Mercedes still making a half hearted effort of an EV solution. Tesla will continue to capitalise. The gigafactory in US and upcoming one in China is the jewel in the crown while bottlenecks continue throughout the EV supply chain for all other players (and even Tesla) with little chance to ramp up to Tesla levels due to lack of investment.

• Advertisement

b4bmm wrote: »
    I’m the opposite,............

Fair play, I hope you are correct :)
    I'll be happy with a quick 10% though. I bought a decent lash late last week.

Advertisement