Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesla/Lithium stocks discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

lol, Imagine they could be bigger than VW in 10 years time, looks like Elon isn't the only one on the hippie cabbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

lol, Imagine they could be bigger than VW in 10 years time, looks like Elon isn't the only one on the hippie cabbage.

Still buying Hive? I wouldn't throw stones from glass houses when you've acted like someone on drugs yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Apple and Amazon are heavier shorted, it isn't holding them back. I can see apple falling from grace once the next big thing comes and hopefully Samsung or Motorola pull it off this year. They've got away with no innovation over the last few years, pretty much a one trick pony.

Tesla has been a volatile stock yet the trajectory has been upwards. Ideal stock for shorters with a short term game....many of which are playing with previous profit now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Looks like Elon's getting sued. I hope he can back up his claims. If not, he deserves to lose.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/17/telsa-ceo-elon-musk-sued-by-thai-rescue-diver-vernon-unsworth.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Bizarre claims by Musk, as if he knows something. Naturally I hope he's wrong but just all very odd to me. I can think of better names to call people than Pedo Guy. Swamp Donkey for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If Musk did know something the next question would be why he didnt act on it, he's clearly bullsh*tting. I must admit that the cave divers silence was making me bit suspicious recently though, shows how easy it is to destroy someone nowadays, glad to see this, hope he crucifies him.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Tesla Said to Face Criminal Probe over Musk Statements - Bloomberg

zpehtsfd wrote: »

I was wondering what the sudden drop was all about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭dickface

The news is about the taking private at 420 tweet...arguably more serious than the pedo comments. SEC aren't happy i am sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

Elon's losing the plot. Doubt we'll ever see $420 again.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

el diablo wrote: »
    Doubt we'll ever see $420 again.

Wouldn't bet against it. In fact I find both going long or short in Tesla extremely dangerous and speculative. I can half understand the irrational reason why a fanboi / admirer would buy and hold stock as in to support "the cause"

But why otherwise serious investers go short? Seriously? Why not put a large chunk of your money on red on a roulette table?

unkel wrote: »
    ...Why not put a large chunk of your money on red on a roulette table?

As you probably know there's a 51+% chance that won't yield a good result for you.

There is way more likelihood that Tesla will be worth more than it is now in the near future ...

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭b4bmm

Update: A Tesla spokesperson sent us the following statement:

“Last month, following Elon’s announcement that he was considering taking the company private, Tesla received a voluntary request for documents from the DOJ and has been cooperative in responding to it. We have not received a subpoena, a request for testimony, or any other formal process. We respect the DOJ’s desire to get information about this and believe that the matter should be quickly resolved as they review the information they have received.”

Augeo wrote: »
    There is way more likelihood that Tesla will be worth more than it is now in the near future ...

The shorters say the opposite...

The shorters say the opposite...

Of course they do, we'll see who is correct :) they said the opposite before we recently saw $400 too and for the last 18/24 months also.
    Time will tell.

Aye. But it is a very risky investment either way imho. You can put our money on red and "see who is correct" and claim victory when red comes up :p

Aye. But it is a very risky investment either way imho. ...............

It's a volatile share, no doubt.
    I don't think buying in at sub $300 is very risky.

........You can put our money on red and "see who is correct" and claim victory when red comes up :p

not really a great analogy IMO but each to their own..........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Sabre Man wrote: »
    I was wondering what the sudden drop was all about.
    dickface wrote: »
    The news is about the taking private at 420 tweet...arguably more serious than the pedo comments. SEC aren't happy i am sure.
    el diablo wrote: »
    Elon's losing the plot. Doubt we'll ever see $420 again.

Arent Musk's tweets all a bit of a sideshow really in the bigger picture?

Worst case scenario the SEC find against him and fine him... he'll write the cheque and apologise and move on... no?

If his pedo comment gets to court he could again lose that and will simply write another cheque and move on.... the guy is a billionaire so he can probably pull the money from his petty cash!

I can't see either of those two controversies affecting Tesla and peoples appetite for buying his products.

Surely the bigger picture here is, will Tesla post a profit in Q3 and Q4. If he delivers on that, which he seems confident about, that will matter ALOT more than the two tweets and a bit of weed.

Until we see Q3 and Q4 earnings all this other crap is just a sideshow.

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »

Until we see Q3 and Q4 earnings all this other crap is just a sideshow.

Indeed, the market seems to react to the sideshow though :)
    I expect it will react to the Q3 figures very positively.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

b4bmm wrote: »
    An employee resigned after a month because he didnt like the job, holy **** this is unbelievable news.

"Since I joined Tesla on August 6, the level of public attention placed on the company, as well as the pace within the company, have exceeded my expectations," Morton said in the filing. "As a result, this caused me to reconsider my future. I want to be clear that I believe strongly in Tesla, its mission and its future prospects, and I have no disagreements with Tesla's leadership or its financial reporting."

I have never read a headline ever before about an accountant retiring in any other major company, wonder why that is. The smear campaign continues. TBH im surprised they haven't actually found some proper dirt on Musk, he would have private investigators following him day and night to try get some dirt on him, this tells me he is pretty legit, chances are he works so much he doesnt have the time to do anything dirty. If taking a puff of a joint on the worlds biggest podcast is dirt, then things aren't too bad.

More left this week:

Global head of supply chain management
    VP of supply chain management
    Canada sales chief
    Northeast America sales chief

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

More left this week:

Global head of supply chain management
    VP of supply chain management
    Canada sales chief
    Northeast America sales chief

Tesla employees. 2008 = 252. 2012 =2964 2016 =17782 2017 =37543
    2018 = 46000 after letting go 4000 this year. It's a fast growing company. Way more are coming than going and Some just can't hack it but their shoes will be filled by even better people.

Ford 2007 =246000 2017 =202000 2018 ?? but they plan to cut jobs "quite significantly" and that hardly made a headline.

Average employees last 1.8 years at UBER. 2.1 years at DropBox. 2.1 years at Tesla. 2.3 years at Square. 2.5 at Facebook. Why is it just every person leaving Tesla headline news? http://uk.businessinsider.com/average-employee-tenure-retention-at-top-tech-companies-2018-4?r=US&IR=T

Firstly it's because it's higher level people leaving Tesla, a significant portion of their finance teams have left (one of whom left as most as soon as he got a look a the books) which doesn't bode well. Secondly, the execs tend to be paid higher than at other firms, with significant options that they're leaving behind. We're not talking about people on the factory floor (or in the tent).
    Some just can't hack it but their shoes will be filled by even better people.

Will they? Would you sign up to be chief accounting oficier after the previous one left after month? And that was before the company was being investigated by the SEC and DOJ.

Firstly it's because it's higher level people leaving Tesla, a significant portion of their finance teams have left (one of whom left as most as soon as he got a look a the books) which doesn't bode well. Secondly, the execs tend to be paid higher than at other firms, with significant options that they're leaving behind. We're not talking about people on the factory floor (or in the tent).

Will they? Would you sign up to be chief accounting oficier after the previous one left after month? And that was before the company was being investigated by the SEC and DOJ.

I would like a shot. My CV might let me down a touch though:(

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/20/the-25-most-attractive-employers-in-america-according-to-linkedin.html

PS you are totally missing the leasons learned in the famous tent that will reap many times its value when the new productions lines are build in GF1

https://insideevs.com/tesla-prepping-7000-model-3-deliveries-week/amp/

"A trusted source that works at Tesla and requested to remain anonymous contacted InsideEVs with some inside information. Makes sense right? Anyhow, they shared that Tesla Service Center techs are being pulled from their usual duties over the next week or so to help with deliveries. Apparently, Tesla has readied some 7,000 Model 3 vehicles to be delivered just in the San Francisco Bay Area over the course of seven days. We hear that the specific goal is for the automaker to deliver 1,000 Model 3s each day for the last week of the month in the Bay Area alone."

"In addition to the above reports – and possibly as an accelerated path toward profitability – we were also told that Tesla is prepping thousands of Model S, Model X, and Model 3 vehicles for delivery in China. Not surprisingly, most of the S and X cars appear to be 100Ds, though the Model 3s are primarily single-motor.

The source revealed that these Model S and X vehicles are mostly low-mileage loaners or recent trade-ins from people that have now taken delivery of a Model 3. Reportedly, they have already been sold to Chinese customers. While they may not count as deliveries, it surely looks like a monumental source of additional revenue."

lucky john wrote: »

PS you are totally missing the leasons learned in the famous tent that will reap many times its value when the new productions lines are build in GF1
    lucky john wrote: »
    https://insideevs.com/tesla-prepping-7000-model-3-deliveries-week/amp/

"A trusted source that works at Tesla and requested to remain anonymous contacted InsideEVs with some inside information. Makes sense right? Anyhow, they shared that Tesla Service Center techs are being pulled from their usual duties over the next week or so to help with deliveries. Apparently, Tesla has readied some 7,000 Model 3 vehicles to be delivered just in the San Francisco Bay Area over the course of seven days. We hear that the specific goal is for the automaker to deliver 1,000 Model 3s each day for the last week of the month in the Bay Area alone."

"In addition to the above reports – and possibly as an accelerated path toward profitability – we were also told that Tesla is prepping thousands of Model S, Model X, and Model 3 vehicles for delivery in China. Not surprisingly, most of the S and X cars appear to be 100Ds, though the Model 3s are primarily single-motor.

The source revealed that these Model S and X vehicles are mostly low-mileage loaners or recent trade-ins from people that have now taken delivery of a Model 3. Reportedly, they have already been sold to Chinese customers. While they may not count as deliveries, it surely looks like a monumental source of additional revenue."

I'll believe it when i see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Markcheese

How recyclable are tesla batteries (or anyone else's lithium batteries for that matter)?
    As In if they're completely broken down can the lithium be reused in batteries or is it degraded

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    How recyclable are tesla batteries (or anyone else's lithium batteries for that matter)?
    As In if they're completely broken down can the lithium be reused in batteries or is it degraded

First 15-20 years in the car (until the car is a economical or physical write off) then next 15-20 years as home or grid attached storage (batteries still intact, just having less capacity than they had originally because of slow degradation over time)

After that, probably dismantling of batteries and recycling of materials. Nobody knows yet.

Advertisement