Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesla/Lithium stocks discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sabre Man wrote: »
    The money for the Chinese factory is coming from Chinese loans.

The shares Elon is buying are newly issued shares. I presume he already bought them.

I haven't seen anywhere the funding is secured only that he was thinking of raising money from Chinese loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

funding is secured

Be careful saying that! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Only Tesla could get away with selling on add-on that they could never actually deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

For the doubters. tesla started construction in China 10days ago and GF3 has already bee constructed. So there!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dp6xlScUcAAvhHm.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

• Advertisement

Tesla has just surpassed Mercedes-Benz to become the world’s most followed car brand on Twitter.

https://insideevs.com/tesla-most-followed-car-brand-twitter/

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Lewis Hamilton's dog has more followers than most F1 drivers. That whole follower business is utter bollocks. Or am I getting old? :p

Q3 RESULTS THIS WEDNESDAY 24TH AT CLOSE.

Short seller who is suing Tesla changes his mind: 'Tesla is destroying the competition'

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/23/short-seller-who-is-suing-tesla-changes-his-mind-tesla-is-destroying-the-competition.html

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Short seller who is suing Tesla changes his mind: 'Tesla is destroying the competition'

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/23/short-seller-who-is-suing-tesla-changes-his-mind-tesla-is-destroying-the-competition.html

He's not the only one

https://citronresearch.com/citron-reverses-opinion-on-tesla/

"As much as you can’t believe you are reading this, we can’t believe we are writing this!

The most challenging part of being a short seller is to constantly check your thesis to make sure nothing has changed. You must let all predispositions and prejudices disappear and stay focused on only the facts.

It is in that spirit and with a great deal of analysis and due diligence that we can say for the first time, Citron is long Tesla as the Model 3 is a proven hit and many of the TSLA warning signs have proven not to be significant.

It has been almost 5 years since Citron published the following line:

“By the time this product is even approaching market, there will be multiple other 200-mile range plug-ins that have been out for years.”

• Advertisement

+11% as of now. Shorts caught on the hop by Tesla this morning. Covering their asses before tomorrow evening.

lucky john wrote: »
    He's not the only one

https://citronresearch.com/citron-reverses-opinion-on-tesla/

"As much as you can’t believe you are reading this, we can’t believe we are writing this!

The most challenging part of being a short seller is to constantly check your thesis to make sure nothing has changed. You must let all predispositions and prejudices disappear and stay focused on only the facts.

It is in that spirit and with a great deal of analysis and due diligence that we can say for the first time, Citron is long Tesla as the Model 3 is a proven hit and many of the TSLA warning signs have proven not to be significant.

It has been almost 5 years since Citron published the following line:

“By the time this product is even approaching market, there will be multiple other 200-mile range plug-ins that have been out for years.”

Actually it's the same guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭KCross

What a crazy stock.... smoke and mirrors on all sides!

Q3 report will be interesting. If its cash positive the stock will soar.

From CNBC
    The stock was rated "outperform" in new coverage at JMP Securities, which said Tesla is developing key aspects of electric vehicle development and manufacturing which will be very hard for rivals to duplicate. Separately, Tesla said it increased the price for its new Model 3 sedan launched last week by $1,000 to $46,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mach 3

Mach 3 wrote: »
    On that logic - surely it is a short term buy into Q3#'s? Maybe a case of buy the rumour sell the news.

Nice 25% for a short term buy. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭JaimeLannister

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Fly baby fly

Tesla crushes Wall Street expectations but what do they know anyway?

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/24/tesla-earnings-q3-2018.html

Adjusted earnings: $2.90 a share vs. an expected loss of 19 cents per share
    Revenue: $6.82 billion vs. an expected $6.33 billion

After today's increased short interest Musk will be grinning like a Cheshire cat :D

Outstanding results. Happy for Musk.

The doubters are very quiet tonight. Taking a bit of time to spin this one I suppose. That 900mil of retained deposits must be a real killer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

lucky john wrote: »
    Outstanding results. Happy for Musk.

The doubters are very quiet tonight. Taking a bit of time to spin this one I suppose. That 900mil of retained deposits must be a real killer.

Some people almost owe you an apology

From Twitter:

@Model3VINs
    #Tesla registered 13,629 new #Model3 VINs. ~0% estimated to be dual motor. Highest VIN is 169791.

Augeo wrote: »
    I reckon longterm Tesla shares are not a great proposition but at the current $290 ish or whatever they are there's a very decent chance there's a quick 10% or so to be made. 3rd quarter results will be decent / on target I expect :)
    Also, Elon's verbose will get them up too you'd expect :)

A strange ole share IMO but I'll take my 10% and walk away wishing Elon the very best for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Horrible price action for LT Bulls considering Musk just threw everything at the Q. Overall market sentiment is changing and Musk continues to remain adamant that he doesn't need to raise. :confused:

Let's not even mention the CC where the CFO basically said nothing and did not even allow for a informative Q&A. Can't wait to read the 10Q.

zpehtsfd wrote: »
    Overall market sentiment is changing and Musk continues to remain adamant that he doesn't need to raise. :confused:

In what way? Are you talking about tech stocks in general or TSLA?

It doesnt really matter if he needs to raise money now as its not for day to day running costs assuming he turns in more profitable quarters. Q2 was a $700m loss and Q3 was a $300m profit. Even throwing "everything at it" as you say, surely that has to be applauded and acknowledged as a good forward sign showing a ~$1b turnaround in one quarter. If he ramps production up further (no reason to believe he wont/cant based on the last few quarters), that profitability should go up.... no?

I know there is debt falling due (particularly Q1 2019) but still?

If (more likely when) he raises more money it will be for expansion of new product lines (Semi, Y etc)... do you see that as an issue for its long term future? Surely any capital raises for setting up those lines is money well spent to grow the business?

KCross wrote: »
    In what way? Are you talking about tech stocks in general or TSLA?

Yes stocks in general. The last decade has seen an orgy of cheap money, amongst others things, help inflate the stock market to unsustainable levels. This risk on environment enabled companies like Tesla to prosper. When this leverage starts to unwind it makes it much harder for growth companies to raise cash plus the impact to the consumer economy will be substantial. Musk is clearly missing the big picture and his lack of foresight is going to bite shareholders in the azz. imo.
    It doesnt really matter if he needs to raise money now as its not for day to day running costs assuming he turns in more profitable quarters. Q2 was a $700m loss and Q3 was a $300m profit. Even throwing "everything at it" as you say, surely that has to be applauded and acknowledged as a good forward sign showing a ~$1b turnaround in one quarter. If he ramps production up further (no reason to believe he wont/cant based on the last few quarters), that profitability should go up.... no?

Yes they worked some magic alright. You'd need 10 pairs of hands to wave all the red flags. Let's wait till the 10Q is out for more visibility.

Musk is clearly missing the big picture and his lack of foresight is going to bite shareholders in the azz. imo.

What should he be doing to get the big picture? Raising capital before the market crashes?
    Lets be honest, if he raised more capital people would be shouting that Tesla is screwed because it needs more capital for day to day running. The whole point of him tightening the belt over the last few Q's was to show the company can stand on its own two feet now and start to pay down the debt related to the current product lines. It appears to have got to that point but obviously needs to keep doing so... one Q doesnt make a profitable year.

New product lines are clearly going to need new capital though but thats not a deal breaker, imo, for the company to succeed.

Yes they worked some magic alright. You'd need 10 pairs of hands to wave all the red flags. Let's wait till the 10Q is out for more visibility.

What red flags do you see?
    The 10Q will confirm or rubbish your claims but be a man of your conviction here and let us know what the issues are since you are saying there are so many red flags to wave.

What have the big shorts been saying since the results? Has anyone poked any big holes in the results yet?

KCross wrote: »
    What should he be doing to get the big picture? Raising capital before the market crashes? Lets be honest, if he raised more capital people would be shouting that Tesla is screwed because it needs more capital for day to day running. The whole point of him tightening the belt over the last few Q's was to show the company can stand on its own two feet now and start to pay down the debt related to the current product lines. It appears to have got to that point but obviously needs to keep doing so... one Q doesnt make a profitable year.

Yes they should raise now or in a few months time when the stock is at $250. I'm highlighting this because Musk is clearly incompetent and he wear this "no need to raise" like a badge of honor. And why would a shareholder think the company is screwed if they have to raise cash? :confused:
    New product lines are clearly going to need new capital though but thats not a deal breaker, imo, for the company to succeed.

They sell a luxury sedan with an ASP of over $50K. You honestly think the market for this will continue to grow exponentially? So with no new products they can sustain a market cap of $50B? For most shorts this isn't about whether they can succeed, it's about valuation.
    What red flags do you see? The 10Q will confirm or rubbish your claims but be a man of your conviction here and let us know what the issues are since you are saying there are so many red flags to wave. What have the big shorts been saying since the results? Has anyone poked any big holes in the results yet?

You're asking me to "be a man of conviction" and you don't even have a position yourself? :p

Check out this thread (not a radical short) for some legitimate questions:

https://twitter.com/Badger24/status/1055359876430319617

Yes they should raise now or in a few months time when the stock is at $250. I'm highlighting this because Musk is clearly incompetent and he wear this "no need to raise" like a badge of honor.

You see, its statements like "Musk is clearly incompetent" that makes me roll my eyes a bit. He has created several multi-billion dollar companies. Thats some incompetence! He is far from incompetent. You might not like his style and he has made many mistakes but thats business. You think other companies dont "dress things up"!?

And why would a shareholder think the company is screwed if they have to raise cash? :confused:

Simple. The narrative was that the company is bleeding cash (which it was) and they will never make the Model 3 profitable and will need more cash to stay afloat. If he raised more capital over the last few months it would have further fuelled that narrative.

He is almost certainly going to raise more cash, but it will be on the back of several profitable quarters first, imo.

They sell a luxury sedan with an ASP of over $50K. You honestly think the market for this will continue to grow exponentially? So with no new products they can sustain a market cap of $50B? For most shorts this isn't about whether they can succeed, it's about valuation.

Exponentially, no. But with significant growth, yes. They havent really tapped the market yet.... just US and Canada and with the most expensive version only. Cheaper versions and expansion to Europe and China will show significant growth potential in the medium term.

Also bear in mind that govts around the world are banning diesel so that will push more people to electric and the customers they are currently selling to are tending to trade up from much cheaper cars so they are not just tapping the luxury sedan market.... unless you consider the Prius and Civic as luxury! :)

You're asking me to "be a man of conviction" and you don't even have a position yourself? :p

I was asking because you tend to make "short" like statements that are just to create FUD, imo.

My "position" is that I want Tesla to succeed. Nothing more or less.
    Its an overvalued stock but thats the stock market for ya.

Check out this thread (not a radical short) for some legitimate questions:

Thanks, at least there isnt any FUD in that, just some unanswered questions.
    Some of the questions (european homolgation, governance etc) were a bit meh. Not really red flags. Some others require answers alright.

I too was perplexed by the 30% labour hours gain in one quarter. Its hard to see how that magically happened.

• Advertisement

From the Q3 report:
    Based on trade-ins received from customers since the start of Model 3 production, more than half of those trade-in vehicles were priced below $35,000 when new. It is clear that customers are trading up their relatively cheaper vehicles to buy a Model 3 even though there is not yet a
    leasing option and the Q3 starting price of a Model 3 was $49,000.

That's a huge market even before leasing is available. I don't think they need to raise money.

Advertisement