Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesla/Lithium stocks discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I assume that tesla are too big at the moment, (or at least too valuable) to to be either bought or merge with a more mainstream auto company.. If the gloss starts to come off their future prospects....
    But all these potential tesla killers have a serious issue, where will they get their batteries from.. Its all very well having the capacity in a growing market to produce loads of cars, but if you can't get the batteries at scale, and the right price...

Of course because the battery tech is changing so fast this could be a huge leveler ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

It'll get back to the mid 30's alright, I hope that's a short position. Can't see them surving the next 12/24mts as a business even if they do reality has to come into the share price at some stage.
    Porsche has doubled production target with their first EV who's mission is to kill the model S. I'd expect the Polestar 2 and Golf ID to kick the model 3 where it hurts.

Fools gold. Any actual evidence these cars are any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

It'll get back to the mid 30's alright, I hope that's a short position. Can't see them surving the next 12/24mts as a business even if they do reality has to come into the share price at some stage.
    Porsche has doubled production target with their first EV who's mission is to kill the model S. I'd expect the Polestar 2 and Golf ID to kick the model 3 where it hurts.

I'm up 33% in total, between getting in and out at the right time so I'm cosy for now. I think the fanboys will keep it pumped for longer than most think.

I'd take the Porsche any day, but watching the Porsche share price would put you to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Panasonic/LG

EV's are dead in the water if the future is dependent on Tesla batteries. Why would any manufacturer even bother making an EV.

Tesla have no leaver, they had first mover advantage and made a complete balls of it.

OwlsZat wrote: »

Mmmm...let me see. No evidence just a hunch based on the 80yrs + of manufacturing at Porsche and sure what do Volvo know about making electric vehicles.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I'd take the Porsche any day, but watching the Porsche share price would put you to sleep.

Keep an eye on it heading into end of Feburary.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Markcheese wrote: »
    I assume that tesla are too big at the moment, (or at least too valuable) to to be either bought or merge with a more mainstream auto company.. If the gloss starts to come off their future prospects....
    But all these potential tesla killers have a serious issue, where will they get their batteries from.. Its all very well having the capacity in a growing market to produce loads of cars, but if you can't get the batteries at scale, and the right price...

Of course because the battery tech is changing so fast this could be a huge leveler ...
    https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadgets/news/130380-future-batteries-coming-soon-charge-in-seconds-last-months-and-power-over-the-air

Graphene battery, aluminium air seem out of prototype land, poxy lithium needs to go anyway.

Saying that another version of Lithium oxygen will probably be it for the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Great analysis by Rob Maurer

http://techcastdaily.com/

OwlsZat wrote: »

Have you ever driven a Tesla or even an EV?

Model 3 is getting great reviews, even from Top Gear: https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/tesla/model-3

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

This film below "Revenge of the electric car" is well worth a watch if you have an interest in where EV's revolution started.

Some very familiar faces feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru89x1jmpq4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Have you ever driven a Tesla or even an EV?

Model 3 is getting great reviews, even from Top Gear: https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/tesla/model-3

The build quality of the Model 3 is ridiculously bad though and Tesla's quality control department are their customers.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    The build quality of the Model 3 is ridiculously bad though and Tesla's quality control department are their customers.

That's just one data point. Quality is improving all the time.

All they need now is to give the AA portable battery packs..

Screenshot-20190131-182605-2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

He hated it so much he got rid of it,
    and got another tesla.... (the more premium model 3)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 23,508 ✭✭✭✭ted1

All they need now is to give the AA portable battery packs..

Screenshot-20190131-182605-2.png

They have portable battery packs!!

Markcheese wrote: »
    He hated it so much he got rid of it,
    and got another tesla.... (the more premium model 3)

And this is what he thought of it. Much better quality and amazing to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

It really isn't, it's a huge issue, and there's a massive lack of spare parts for the required repairs.

It really isn't, it's a huge issue, and there's a massive lack of spare parts for the required repairs.

Do you have any data to back it up?

Ahh come on your can't be following Tesla and aren't aware of any issues besides one data point.

Ahh come on your can't be following Tesla and aren't aware of any issues besides one data point.

I have heard of issues, but the fact is that quality is improving all the time. Any issues on delivery are usually dealt with quickly as far as I am aware.

• Advertisement

Where's the data that quality is improving?

Surely if you look at the data you have you will see the improving quality.

The rocketing sales alone tell all that needs to be known.

It's fascinating to see the naysayers looking for something to criticize as Tesla goes from strength to strength. Not so long ago it was the hope of bankruptcy they clung to, now its 10mm paint scratches.

It's also interesting watching every car with more than 1 battery been called a "Tesla Killer". Musk is blue in the face saying he wants all cars to be EVs. He has led the way and created a market for every auto maker to sell EVs. Just look at EV sales in Ireland. Up almost 700% in January. On small numbers yet admittedly but from 1% to 2.6% of the market. Diesel down 8%. The tide has turned.

Look at what data?

Look at what data?

As it happens we have facts. The US consumer car report for 2018 as just been released today.
    Overall Top of the pile, is Tesla M3 with 92% owner satisfaction. The Porsche 911 is slightly behind but also with 92%. 3rd is the Genesis G90 at 90%.

In the compact luxury car section the Tesla M3 it top with 92% with the Audi A4 3rd with 80%

Unfortunately the info is from a photo of pages from the report on twitter and I can't figure out how to link them.

lucky john wrote: »
    As it happens we have facts. The US consumer car report for 2018 as just been released today.
    Overall Top of the pile, is Tesla M3 with 92% owner satisfaction. The Porsche 911 is slightly behind but also with 92%. 3rd is the Genesis G90 at 90%.

In the compact luxury car section the Tesla M3 it top with 92% with the Audi A4 3rd with 80%

Unfortunately the info is from a photo of pages from the report on twitter and I can't figure out how to link them.

And that's even with a few quality issues. Mighty impressive. I think we can safely say that any quality issues are simply irrelevant if that's all you guys are basing your short thesis on.

Tesla fell six spots from last year and now ranks third-worst (27 out of 29). The Model S dropped to “Below Average” this year, and its Overall Score is no longer high enough to be “Recommended” by CR. Owners reported suspension problems and other issues that included the extending door handle. (Please see chart below.) The Model X SUV remained “Much-Worse-Than-Average” for reliability, with ongoing problems including the falcon-wing doors and center display screen. On the flip side, the Model 3 sedan has “Average” predicted reliability based on owner feedback.

Has its reliability rating improved from the last survey?

Has its reliability rating improved from the last survey?

Apparently not according to this study, but it doesn't seem to impact owner satisfaction, so I think it can safely be ignored for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

reliability <> owner satisfaction

It's all about expectations. That's why over the years some makes have scored exceptionally well on the satisfaction ratings. Like Subarus of old. Rugged spartan cars that had nothing in them to go wrong once serviced regularly. After that Skodas in the late 90s and early 00s. Solid well built reliable cars that were sold for thousands cheaper than almost identical cars with different badges. Of course the owners were happy with that :) Same now with Dacias. Even better value for money. And of late Hyundais and Kias with very long warranties, great customer service and very high spec vehicles for less money than bare spec Toyotas that aren't as good and reliable as they used to be

Owners of BMWs, Mercedes and Porsches are far more demanding and if anything goes wrong they will be extremely vocal. Teslas up to now are largely owned by fans, who are most forgiving.

Expectations...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/teslas-maxwell-deal-is-about-lowering-costs-and-keeping-a-battery-moat-2019-02-04?siteid=yhoof2&yptr=yahoo

I wonder what tech do Maxwell have to make them worth buying out?

Its been said that its related to cold weather performance.
    i.e. You dont lose as much range just because its cold. That would be welcome.

Advertisement