Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesla/Lithium stocks discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

It regularly tries to drive people into medians, under trucks, and into fire engines. But impressive spin has people thinking Tesla is a leader in the field and months away from Robotaxis.

It's pretty new technology and more cutting edge than any other being developed at the moment, don't be ridiculous in claiming you don't understand why things like those accidents happen. There's a reason it took until apollo 11 to get to the moon.

They way it is learning is completely unlike what any other company is doing ( I suggest taking a look at their autonomy presentation where they lay out why pure radar assisted driving wont work in the long run), and the team have literally years of a head start in terms of software and hardware.

If you wantto be bearish pick apart the customer support, replacement times, prices, and actual look and hardware of the car itself. But to really be critical of the software is insane.

Also to note plenty of other software companies are struggling with self driving too such as Uber which has killed an innocent bystander. There are a lot lot more self driving Teslas on the road than Ubers.

Also would love to know how many people were saved by the self driving features? We will never have stats on this. Teslas overall have a lower rate of incident per mile driven than any other cars.

https://electrek.co/2018/10/07/tesla-model-3-lowest-probability-of-injury-nhtsa/

https://www.tesla.com/blog/q3-2018-vehicle-safety-report

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Kilboor wrote: »
    They way it is learning is completely unlike what any other company is doing ( I suggest taking a look at their autonomy presentation where they lay out why pure radar assisted driving wont work in the long run), and the team have literally years of a head start in terms of software and hardware.

I had never any intention in buying Tesla shares, I've said it here before. But that presentation changed my mind. It blew me away. It all made perfect sense. The ease with which Musk dismissed using lidar (used by every other company), the big data and machine learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

unkel wrote: »
    I had never any intention in buying Tesla shares, I've said it here before. But that presentation changed my mind. It blew me away. It all made perfect sense. The ease with which Musk dismissed using lidar (used by every other company), the big data and machine learning.

He did a great presentation too on solar tiles, what ever happened them?

Also to note plenty of other software companies are struggling with self driving too such as Uber which has killed an innocent bystander. There are a lot lot more self driving Teslas on the road than Ubers.
    Yeah it's very difficult to solve. But only Tesla are out there selling beta software that will decapitate their users. Everyone else is still in testing, but Tesla is so desperate for cash that they were selling FSD packages,
    It's pretty new technology and more cutting edge than any other being developed at the moment, don't be ridiculous in claiming you don't understand why things like those accidents happen. There's a reason it took until apollo 11 to get to the moon.

Yeah they're doing a completely different approach and they're last.

cache.php?img=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FlRnBxgx.jpg

While other companies are reducing disengagements Tesla aren't even conducting any testing in California

https://electrek.co/2019/02/13/tesla-autonomous-mileage-california-report-full-self-driving/

Other companies are pumping billions into this, "Tesla is collecting data".
    Let's see how that's going?
    https://twitter.com/kapitalny/status/1117923230189281281
    https://twitter.com/PlugInFUD/status/1106002538887872512

Tesla's fail even in basic situations, their approach has zero chance at getting to level 4 never mind 5

Tesla fans think Musk is a genius. What kinda genius waits until the share price is at 2 year lows to raise money? And only raises a quarters worth of cash burn? What kinda genius sells software to the public that kills people?

I've never had any intention of buying Tesla, but now looks be an opportune moment
    There'll be plenty of opportunities to buy lower

AS I said before :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

He done a great job of shoving the autopilot law suit way down the headlines, wonder how many hours that buys shareholders to get out.

If I take an electric knife and cut my arm open it's pointless suing Kenwood.

• Advertisement

He did a great presentation too on solar tiles, what ever happened them?

Yeah it's very difficult to solve. But only Tesla are out there selling beta software that will decapitate their users. Everyone else is still in testing, but Tesla is so desperate for cash that they were selling FSD packages,

Yeah they're doing a completely different approach and they're last.

cache.php?img=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FlRnBxgx.jpg

While other companies are reducing disengagements Tesla aren't even conducting any testing in California

https://electrek.co/2019/02/13/tesla-autonomous-mileage-california-report-full-self-driving/

Other companies are pumping billions into this, "Tesla is collecting data".
    Let's see how that's going?
    https://twitter.com/kapitalny/status/1117923230189281281
    https://twitter.com/PlugInFUD/status/1106002538887872512

Tesla's fail even in basic situations, their approach has zero chance at getting to level 4 never mind 5

Tesla fans think Musk is a genius. What kinda genius waits until the share price is at 2 year lows to raise money? And only raises a quarters worth of cash burn? What kinda genius sells software to the public that kills people?

Not a Tesla fan boy and despise blind loyalty, but also despise blind hatred too. What did Musk do to hurt you?

He is selling 45000 dollar cars with the promise of FULL SELF DRIVING CAPABILITIES

Any of the other players are not offering this at such a cost, in fact most don't have a viable consumer product. You can literally go buy a cutting edge technology car when you buy a Tesla, this isn't possible from any other manufacturer currently.

"Software that kills people" Most parts of a car have software in them, so your claim can reach as far as most mishaps in cars...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

He was stupid to throw in the software comment. He's right about self driving though. All indications are that Waymo is very far ahead.

The software is driving people into trucks, into concrete medians, what would you describe that as other than killing people.
    OwlsZat wrote: »
    If I take an electric knife and cut my arm open it's pointless suing Kenwood.
    Tesla are selling this as autopilot when it can't even handle not driving into stationary trucks.

Not a Tesla fan boy and despise blind loyalty, but also despise blind hatred too. What did Musk do to hurt you?

He is selling 45000 dollar cars with the promise of FULL SELF DRIVING CAPABILITIES

Only the promise though. He's been promising FSD in a couple of months for years now. It's never going to happen, they're not capable of it.
    despise blind hatred too. What did Musk do to hurt you?
    Nothing. I don't blindly hate Tesla, they do do some things well, but Musk is a charlatan. He keeps promising things he can't deliver, in order to keep his company alive. It's Theranos and Enron all over again in plain sight and Tesla fans are buying into it (think it's funny that Larry Ellison lost a bunch in Theranos, and then went and invested in Tesla and repeated his mistake).

Only the promise though. He's been promising FSD in a couple of months for years now. It's never going to happen, they're not capable of it.

Nothing. I don't blindly hate Tesla, they do do some things well, but Musk is a charlatan. He keeps promising things he can't deliver, in order to keep his company alive. It's Theranos and Enron all over again in plain sight and Tesla fans are buying into it (think it's funny that Larry Ellison lost a bunch in Theranos, and then went and invested in Tesla and repeated his mistake).

You make good points then you go claiming Musk is a Charlatan hahaha and compare Tesla to Theranos?!??!

Do you follow SpaceX? That's groundbreaking stuff, to call him a charlatan is laughable. Theranos had no product, Tesla is a company making money and with multiple products and already delivering the majority of its promises.

You're ridiculous.

• Advertisement

A charlatan who managed to land a rocket back onto a drone ship in the sea?

It's not making money, depending on sales this year it'll burn through it's current cash this year. The raise will keep it going another few months.

He is a charlatan, he's been selling FSD upgrades with no intention to deliver. He said he was going private funding secured. He presented solar tiles as a fully functioning available product which subsequently disappeared. He bought out his cousins company using Telsa cash to bail him and his cousin out. He's defrauded the US government multiple times. He fraudulently funded the Boring Company using SpaceX funds with no authorisation. He's constantly lied about deliveries. He says and does anything to keep the stock price high. He sells software that he knows has huge bugs that cause the car to drive into stationary objects. He's promising robotaxis when there's zero chance of it happening.

A charlatan who managed to land a rocket back onto a drone ship in the sea?

Yeah that was Larry Ellisons reason for putting a billion into Telsa at 300+, hasn't worked out.

It's not making money, depending on sales this year it'll burn through it's current cash this year. The raise will keep it going another few months.

He is a charlatan, he's been selling FSD upgrades with no intention to deliver. He said he was going private funding secured. He presented solar tiles as a fully functioning available product which subsequently disappeared. He bought out his cousins company using Telsa cash to bail him and his cousin out. He's defrauded the US government multiple times. He fraudulently funded the Boring Company using SpaceX funds with no authorisation. He's constantly lied about deliveries. He says and does anything to keep the stock price high. He sells software that he knows has huge bugs that cause the car to drive into stationary objects. He's promising robotaxis when there's zero chance of it happening.

:D Seriously deluded, he has a proven track record of delivering results and developing ground breaking technology. Look up cognitive bias, you're suffering badly, really badly nearly the worst case I've seen.

Charlatan and Theranos, that's insane :D

Ford driving in the snow. Vs Tesla who stated in their autonomy presentation that they haven't even started training their cars for that.

Ford are way ahead of Tesla and they're tempering expectations. Meanwhile Musk is promising level 5 robotaxis that will make money while you sleep by 2020. Who is more credible?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-09/ford-ceo-tamps-down-expectations-for-first-autonomous-vehicles

Ford driving in the snow. Vs Tesla who stated in their autonomy presentation that they haven't even started training their cars for that.

Ford are way ahead of Tesla and they're tempering expectations. Meanwhile Musk is promising level 5 robotaxis that will make money while you sleep by 2020.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-09/ford-ceo-tamps-down-expectations-for-first-autonomous-vehicles

Enjoy your Ford anyway! Your argument is dying

You believe Musk has a proven track record of delivering results and Tesla is making money, I don't think you've a great grasp of the situation.

You believe Musk has a proven track record of delivering results and Tesla is making money, I don't think you've a great grasp of the situation.

Paypal, SpaceX, Revitalises Tesla, changing the Motor Industry.

Bore off man. You can't deny facts he's a billionaire self made, not gifted it.

THey have made a profit before and have a constant revenue stream, you compared it to Thernaos and called a Billionaire who has funded and created self driving long range electric cars available to buy and rockets that can be reused (and are being used by NASA and other agencies) a charlatan. Your arguments are weak and you're a clear FUDDER for a bizarre cognitive bias reason.

You haven't challenged any of my arguments about Telsa. That another company is owns builds rockets isn't a valid point about what we're discussing.
    Paypal, SpaceX, Revitalises Tesla, changing the Motor Industry.
    He didn't build Paypal, out of the guys that got rich from that he contributed the least.
    You can't deny facts he's a billionaire self made, not gifted it.
    He's self made on the back of his dads money, he had to bail him out of his first venture and hire coders to redo the mess that Elon created. You've a misguided view of the man. You probably don't even know that he's mortgaged up to his eyeballs and had to take loans out against all his properties. A big deal was made of the fact he's putting 10m into the next capital raise, but to prevent dilution of his shares he'd really have to put in 125m. How serious is he?
    Revitalises Tesla, changing the Motor Industry.

He hasn't changed the motor industry, he built sports cars for rich people using government subsidies and investors money. They've burned about 10bn dollars. Electric cars are going to take over when it's viable for the majors to switch en mass, Tesla putting a few hundred k on the road didn't change that road map.

You haven't challenged any of my arguments about Telsa. That another company is owns builds rockets isn't a valid point about what we're discussing.

He didn't build Paypal, out of the guys that got rich from that he contributed the least.

He's self made on the back of his dads money, he had to bail him out of his first venture and hire coders to redo the mess that Elon created. You've a misguided view of the man. You probably don't even know that he's mortgaged up to his eyeballs and had to take loans out against all his properties. A big deal was made of the fact he's putting 10m into the next capital raise, but to prevent dilution of his shares he'd really have to put in 125m. How serious is he?

He hasn't changed the motor industry, he built sports cars for rich people using government subsidies and investors money. They've burned about 10bn dollars. Electric cars are going to take over when it's viable for the majors to switch en mass, Tesla putting a few hundred k on the road didn't change that road map.

I think you're being narrow minded on your view of the company. You completely ignore all its massive positives and achievements and came in here shouting that Musk is a charlatan which is quite frankly factually incorrect given he set out to create a great electric car used to finance a more affordable version ( the model 3) with self driving capabilities and ota updates. He has and its selling quite well for a company that's basically a baby in the motor world.

There's no denying that Tesla has spurred on other companies to produce electric cars but they have yet to match the capabilities of the Tesla vehicles in terms of range, charging network, software, and a host of other features. I wouldn't brush tesla sales off as "a minor few thousand" it's a lot more impactful and you know that. There's a reason that since the model s came out other companies are seeing EV is the future and ploughing more money into it.

Now you also claimed Tesla is another Theranos, so a company that claimed to have invented a way to analyse blood using only a drop and never proved nor showed anything is the same as a billionaire who has already built a company that said it would develop reusable rockets -and has, and said it will develop electric cars with cutting edge software- and has. And one that has products its selling that are approved by the various bodies they're sold in with extremely solid safety ratings.

So don't be saying I haven't countered your arguments which fall into the bracket of you throwing wild accusations around that are factually incorrect. I'd rather talk fundamentals of you want to be bearish.

Go back to the drawing board and present more meaningful arguments or at least focus on valid ones like cash flow and perhaps competition.

The product itself is widely acclaimed and rated. You can bleat on about software killing people all you want but once again when you press the accelerator of any car software is being used and this malfunctions so your argument that his software is killing people could be applied to all mechanical car fault crashes in the world. Furthermore I have also provided statistics that show tesla cars are safe in comparison to traditional cars on the road.

**** you're actually making me a tesla fan boy with how much blind hatred you have for the company. Here's a guy literally developing cutting edge cars, spaceships, and autonomous driving present in the vehicles being sold for 40k right now and you want to call him a charlatan all because he has the balls to go and disrupt everything. The funniest part of all this is I wouldn't even buy a tesla, I like traditional motors and I'd love nothing more than a big gas guzzling car that I can drive myself.

• Advertisement

Tesla Model 3 is now the best selling car in countries like Norway, the Netherlands and Switzerland

Nothing short of phenomenal. I guess I'm starting to become a Tesla fanboi myself :p

came in here shouting that Musk is a charlatan which is quite frankly factually incorrect

I gave you a list of items regarding how he is a charlatan. FSD which he's been selling as an upgrade for years is his blood test that is never going to happen.
    you throwing wild accusations around that are factually incorrect.

Nothing I've said is factually incorrect. Tesla are miles behind in competition in autonomous and have no chance of catching up. Other companies are putting billions in to testing, and driving millions of miles. Tesla is just collecting data. It's just like the solar tiles, it's a lie.
    frankly factually incorrect given he set out to create a great electric car used to finance a more affordable version ( the model 3) with self driving capabilities and ota updates.

He promised a 35k which he's never actually built. He made promises about their production numbers which he never reached.

Tesla do things better than other companies but overall it's woefully mismanaged. Musk burned 100s of millions with his machine that builds the machine nonsense and his fixation on vertical integration. Musk is a massive liability but because he does PR well he has believers in the company. There's tons of people who actually believe that Tesla is a leader in autonomous driving because of Musk PR act. There's people buying Teslas because they think they're going to be a robotaxis in a year.
    You can bleat on about software killing people all you want but once again when you press the accelerator of any car software is being used and this malfunctions so your argument that his software is killing people could be applied to all mechanical car fault crashes in the world.

Are you missing that the software is literally turning out of a lane into an object and killing the driver. The software thinks it can drive under trucks. It's decapitated multiple drivers. It's a world a part from pressing the accelerator and getting into an
    accident, the Tesla is causing the accident.
    Furthermore I have also provided statistics that show tesla cars are safe in comparison to traditional cars on the road.
    “Our vehicle autonomy reduces the probability of a death by 30%,” CEO Elon Musk claimed on the company’s a May 2 earnings call, according to Sentieo. ”The statistics are unequivocal that Autopilot improves safety.”

Both those statements are misleading, argues Steven Shladover, a research engineer at the University of California, Berkeley. Tesla’s claims were “pretty outrageous” since they do not appear to be based on a statistically valid analysis, Shladover told Quartz. Tesla has not released its data for independent analysis, and was not immediately available for comment.

https://qz.com/1414132/teslas-first-accident-report-claims-its-four-times-safer-than-the-us-average/
    Even without making any adjustment whatsoever for missing fatality data, Tesla drivers are much more likely to die than their peers driving other luxury cars. Eleven deaths in 265,290 vehicle-years is a stunningly high driver fatality rate of 41.46. That’s quadruple the rate of Audi and BMW, and more than triple the rate of all luxury cars combined.

Tesla’s mortality rate (41 deaths per million vehicle years) is so much higher than the average luxury car (13 deaths per million vehicle years) that when comparing the two, the difference is hugely statistically significant. The difference is 28 additional deaths per million vehicle years, with a confidence interval of 11 to 63, and a p-value of 0.0001.

Musk’s assertions that Tesla is the “safest vehicle” on the road or “four times better than average” are ridiculous untruths. Tesla’s driver fatality rate was massively higher than luxury peers, and at least 37% higher than the average 2011–2014 car. Musk’s “safest vehicle” on the road claim is as phony as his 2016 solar neighborhood.

https://medium.com/@MidwesternHedgi/teslas-driver-fatality-rate-is-more-than-triple-that-of-luxury-cars-and-likely-even-higher-433670ddde17

I gave you a list of items regarding how he is a charlatan. FSD which he's been selling as an upgrade for years is his blood test that is never going to happen.

Nothing I've said is factually incorrect. Tesla are miles behind in competition in autonomous and have no chance of catching up. Other companies are putting billions in to testing, and driving millions of miles. Tesla is just collecting data. It's just like the solar tiles, it's a lie.

He promised a 35k which he's never actually built. He made promises about their production numbers which he never reached.

Tesla do things better than other companies but overall it's woefully mismanaged. Musk burned 100s of millions with his machine that builds the machine nonsense and his fixation on vertical integration. Musk is a massive liability but because he does PR well he has believers in the company. There's tons of people who actually believe that Tesla is a leader in autonomous driving because of Musk PR act. There's people buying Teslas because they think they're going to be a robotaxis in a year.

Are you missing that the software is literally turning out of a lane into an object and killing the driver. The software thinks it can drive under trucks. It's decapitated multiple drivers. It's a world a part from pressing the accelerator and getting into an
    accident, the Tesla is causing the accident.

https://medium.com/@MidwesternHedgi/teslas-driver-fatality-rate-is-more-than-triple-that-of-luxury-cars-and-likely-even-higher-433670ddde17

Do you understand why tesla is collecting data? They explained it pretty well on their autonomous driving video.

Once again you said he was a complete charlatan and said Tesla is theranos do you want to admit you're wrong or ignore how there's a complete factual difference ? There are videos of tesla cars right now driving on ramp around a motorway and back btw. There's little reason to believe the company is not capable of it.

Medium isn't a valid source, I take on board the stats written but tesla have their stats too and the fact is the cars themeselves are extremely fast and also have high safety ratings. Without autopilot and speeding the medium stats would differ.

Yes tesla are miles behind the competition that's why my 192 Audi or Mercedes has self driving? Oh wait. If you didn't realise tesla are making cars for 40k with this tech. You can buy a tesla in the states and it will be able to drive itself, it can already do on and off ramp too.

Finally,he actually did deliver some 35k cars, they were built. Not enough yes I expected the car to always be available at that price. oh and you claim he's a liability for Tesla? You mean the dude who saved the company and is the hype machine as you said yourself behind its massive valuation and "shoddy software" and cars that are selling well is a liability. The company would die without innovation and a man willing to throw his money at it, that's the appeal. It's a bonkers company quickly delivering ground breaking changes. We've been driving the same cars for the last 50 years, now in the space of 10 musk is introducing cars that drive you.

He promised a 35k which he's never actually built.

He actually did. $35k Model 3

Linky

That was a few months ago, I think it has gone up now because Autopilot is now standard and not a $2k optional extra. And of course the Tesla pricing has been all over the shop, which I find pretty bizarre :rolleyes:
    Tesla are miles behind in competition in autonomous and have no chance of catching up.

Miles behind? Then what about this. Current Model 3, all hardware is there on all models, for this one they just enabled a beta version of the FSD software. This is not geo-fenced. The car can do this anywhere

Linky

That was a few months ago, I think it has gone up now because Autopilot is now standard and not a $2k optional extra. And of course the Tesla pricing has been all over the shop, which I find pretty bizarre :rolleyes:

Pretty sure they never actually delivered the 35k or at least made it extremely difficult. It's certainly never been mass produced.

The pricing is all over the place because Musk can't run a company properly.
    Miles behind? Then what about this. Current Model 3, all hardware is there on all models, for this one they just enabled a beta version of the FSD software. This is not geo-fenced. The car can do this anywhere

Yes they're way behind. GM Waymo and Fords videos are more impressive, as are their disengagement stats. Tesla can't do that everywhere, they've said so.
    Once again you said he was a complete charlatan and said Tesla is theranos do you want to admit you're wrong or ignore how there's a complete factual difference
    Tesla is on the same path as Enron and Thernos. He's promising products he can't deliver. Solar tiles was exactly like Theranos. As is FSD. He misled the public about the product to bail him and family out.

You don't think any of this makes him a charlatan?
    buy a tesla in the states and it will be able to drive itself,

Drive itself into a truck.
    musk is introducing cars that drive you.
    His company is nearly last in autonomous driving. Other companies are ahead in tech but aren't putting in their cars yet because it isn't ready. They don't want to decapitate their customers.

Pretty sure they never actually delivered the 35k or at least made it extremely difficult. It's certainly never been mass produced.

You're back tracking. Digging a hole. The $35k actually was for sale. You claimed it never was. I've proven you wrong.

You keep repeating yourself on all your points, you are very ill informed yet you try and make your statements come over as so certain. Not really sure what made you so irrational, care to share?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,532 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Linky

I always wondered how these vehicles are meant to cope with our back roads in Ireland, some of which don't even have proper road markings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Lidar will be the death of his self driving Tesla

Tesla don't have the cash to put Lidar in cars, if they had, they would

Google and everyother company with unlimited resources all can't be wrong and Elon right

Elon is trying to solve vision for his autopilot to work

His robotaxi thing is like his London to New York in 30 mins fantasy he was on about a few years ago, travelling at Mach 15 in a rocket

He talks more crap than I do

You're back tracking. Digging a hole. The $35k actually was for sale. You claimed it never was. I've proven you wrong.

Ha! Ok so it was for sale. How many were built? How many did they actually sell and deliver? By all accounts it wasn't the available base model. I said it was never produced.

Tesla announced on February 28th that it was finally taking orders for the long-promised $35,000 (or “Standard Range”) version of the Model 3, and at the time, the company estimated customers would need to wait about two to four weeks to take delivery. It’s now just shy of four weeks later, and it appears the company may not have shipped a single one, while customers who placed orders are being told those cars have been delayed indefinitely, according to new reports in The Drive and Tesla fan blog Electrek.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/26/18282810/tesla-model-3-standard-range-35000-delays
    In the 21 months since Tesla announced the Model 3, there have been approximately zero $35,000 entry-level Model 3s sold. Now, six weeks after Elon Musk said the stripper Model 3 was becoming available, it isn’t. Not any more. Tesla this week announced on its blog that the least expensive Model 3 you can buy will cost $39,500. Plus a $1,200 destination & documents fee.

You keep repeating yourself on all your points, you are very ill informed yet you try and make your statements come over as so certain. Not really sure what made you so irrational, care to share?

What am I ill informed on? What am I irrational about? When you thought it was a good time to buy in at 310 I told you you'd be able to buy in lower. I was totally correct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Tesla aren't just in the car/AI business. Their in the manufacturing industry. It's the 5th largest supplier of Lithium Ion batteries in the world. Their deal with Panasonic and the dedicated factories are what keeps them well ahead of anyone else. The top three electric cars by range are Tesla models. The idea that Tesla is way behind every other car manufacturer just because the others have a great autodrive system ready to be rolled out is nonsense. The autodrive is a nice addition but it's the always improving range and fuel savings from their batteries that will keep their market share rising.

Advertisement