Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a decent printer

Options
  • 04-04-2016 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

I'd really appreciate some advice on this, my current printer (kodak esp c315) seems to run out of ink extremely quickly. Its not being used constantly either, maybe once or twice a month there will be a max of 5 pages printed.

The annoying thing is, as of right now that colour ink is empty and the black ink is half full. It will still not allow me to carry out any black and white printing.

I'm not sure if its a case the ink is drying out due to lack of use or if its just a printer that uses alot of it for single prints.

I'd lke something economical. It would not be used every day, rather for the odd typed single page document (black and white) or the odd ticket print out (would be nice to have colour but not fussed).

What would be a good recommendation for someone using it sparringly enough? once or twice a month or so

Budget would be up to say €80 max. Thanks a million in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,635 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It does sound like your ink is drying out, which unfortunately is one of the cons of inkjet printers. Only laser toner can sit an indefinite amount of time and not dry up afaik.

Maybe it would be better economically to just print the odd test page every week or so to keep the printer and ink in use? Rather than go out and spend 80 on a new printer which may well suffer the same problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

If you're not fussed about having colour then a mono laser printer might be your best bet.

As NIMAN said, the toner won't dry up over time and laser toners are more cost-effective than ink. The initial cost will be higher than inkjet but they're more economical and you can just let it sit in the printer until you want to use it.

Would you be looking for scanning / photocopying etc? Do you want wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,635 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If a mono laser would suit you, and you are a light user, there's a fair chance you could get a LONG time out of the toner cartridge that comes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

NIMAN wrote: »
    If a mono laser would suit you, and you are a light user, there's a fair chance you could get a LONG time out of the toner cartridge that comes with it.

Definitely. I work for a printer supplies company. Even our smallest laser toners will last for a few hundred pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

If you have a budget in mind, someone can point you to the best value for that money.
    I recently changed to a colour laser, won't be going back to inkjets again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement