Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refund in the pharmacy (Question)

Options
  • 04-04-2016 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,

I am writing regarding the vitamin K I have bought from the pharmacy. I have bought that bottle a few days ago. I don't want it now and I want to return it back to the chemists’. They have refused to refund despite that the package is still sealed and not damaged. It is still brand new. I have a receipt with the item and they have seen it. So my question is have they the right to refuse the refund?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

zenga.m wrote: »
    Hi,

I am writing regarding the vitamin K I have bought from the pharmacy. I have bought that bottle a few days ago. I don't want it now and I want to return it back to the chemists’. They have refused to refund despite that the package is still sealed and not damaged. It is still brand new. I have a receipt with the item and they have seen it. So my question is have they the right to refuse the refund?

Thanks

Yes they do. Change of mind is not a reason to refund you.
    In addition there is the risk that you could have tampered with the contents...it can be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

If there's no problem with it you have no right to refund if you simply change your mind. Also, very wrong place for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Moved to consumer issues. Please read the local charter before posting. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

zenga.m wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

You have zero right to a refund here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

A tamper proof seal doesn't mean that the item in question hasn't been exposed to environment that could damage the contents inside.

I certainly wouldn't like the thought of my chemist taking back drugs that were already dispensed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Zero comeback. First off it is change of mind not faulty. Second, pharmacies cannot accept medication back no matter how sealed it is. They have to dispose of them. If the pharmacy take them back they have to bin them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

returned medicines are disposed of, at considerable cost due to regulations.

I assume you haven't though about this from the point of view of the pharmacy. It would be economic suicide for them to have a change your mind policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Maybe someone else would take it off your hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lux23 wrote: »
    Maybe someone else would take it off your hands?

How much off would you need to buy second-hand tablets from someone?

90 are 5.49 in Boots.

Tampered but appearing normal medicines have killed people before - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Tylenol_murders

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭palmcut

returned medicines are disposed of, at considerable cost due to regulations.

I assume you haven't though about this from the point of view of the pharmacy. It would be economic suicide for them to have a change your mind policy.

It would also be illegal.
    The pharmacy must pay for the disposal of such medicines and in reality they should be charging you for the disposal of these medicines.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

L1011 wrote: »
    Tampered but appearing normal medicines have killed people before - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Tylenol_murders

I know the point your making. But to be fair you've a far far higher chance of dieing from a simple overdose of Tylenol and by right it should be banned.

The difference between a safe dose of the stuff and a unsafe dose is around 3 tablets. 1,500 Americans died between 2001-2010 due to overdosing of this specific drug, this far outweighs the 9 that happened in the early 80's.

Risk of dieing due to tamper versus risk of dieing due to overdosing, the overdosing wins by miles

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cabaal wrote: »
    To be fair you've a far far higher chance of dieing from a simple overdose of Tylenol and by right it should be banned.

The difference between a safe dose of the stuff and a killer dose is around 3 tablets. 1,500 Americans die a year due to overdosing, this far outweighs the 9 that happened in the early 80's.

I know the point your making. But risk of dieing due to tamper versus risk of dieing due to overdosing, the overdosing wins by miles

Proof for this claim that 5 (recommended dose + 3) paracetemol tablets are "killer", please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Cabaal wrote: »
    I know the point your making. But to be fair you've a far far higher chance of dieing from a simple overdose of Tylenol and by right it should be banned.

The difference between a safe dose of the stuff and a unsafe dose is around 3 tablets. 1,500 Americans died between 2001-2010 due to overdosing of this specific drug, this far outweighs the 9 that happened in the early 80's.

Risk of dieing due to tamper versus risk of dieing due to overdosing, the overdosing wins by miles

Extra strength Tylenol is 500mg, of which 325mg is the active ingredient. 7000mg leads to increased risk. Hence at least 21 tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

90 are 5.49 in Boots.

Adverts.ie have lots of "second hand" stuff being sold which is ingested, including vitamins. They even have a supplements section.

I would guess the poster you quoted was thinking of giving/selling it to family or friends. But people certainly do take the risk and buy or ingest potentially poisoned/tampered substances all the time. e.g. sample bars handed out at traffic lights.

Tesco accept back food items which could have been poisoned.

90 are 5.49 in Boots.

Well maybe they could give them to someone. I do know all about the Tylenol murders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

rubadub wrote: »
    Tesco accept back food items which could have been poisoned.

Most likely put straight into a bin as there are no legally binding disposal regulations that apply there.

sconhome wrote: »
    Most likely put straight into a bin as there are no legally binding disposal regulations that apply there.

And they probably refund on food because there was something wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Lux23 wrote: »
    And they probably refund on food because there was something wrong with it.
    They have a no quibble return policy. I remember meeting someone returning bottles of beer and the customer service person asking why and they said since it was cheaper in the offie next door. Bottled beer is relatively easy to open and recap.

If they do not resell it and there are no regulations I wonder what else they would not resell, if the worry is about posioning. People could easily put posionous substances into clothing. Many electrical goods would be used with ingestible substances, as would things like a chopping board.

Advertisement