Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovating a 90sqm 100 year old house

Options
  • 04-04-2016 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Hi All,

We are looking to put a bid on a 100 year old house, in a nice part of North Dublin. We went to a viewing and basically there is no part of the house that wouldn't need fixing. It's about 90 square metres, and it looks like it will need the following:

- dry lining
    - under-floor insulation downstairs (I can do the donkey-work on that, like lifting and moving the floor boards)
    - at least 4 new windows out front, we would like to go for the swankiest if budget allows!
    - re-plumbed
    - re-wired
    - knock down all internal walls downstairs and open up the hall, dining room and living room into one space with the stairs in the same place (but now in the same room)
    - there is a small kitchen and out-house at the back, and we would want to knock through the kitchen wall, to turn the kitchen+out-house into one slightly larger kitchen, with a glass wall or very large window facing the garden
    - upstairs there are 2 bedrooms, and a smaller bedroom and toilet (above the kitchen+out-house) that we want to turn into a larger bathroom. We don't mind losing a bedroom.

That's the major work needed. Easier (i.e. less skilled) jobs like sanding floors, painting etc we are happy to do ourselves. It has some original features like fire-places and plasterwork which we can spruce up, and I think the finished result will look great.

So my question is - is 100k enough for all that? We also want to budget 10k for a nice-looking kitchen and bathroom.

Are we crazy? Has someone done anything similar?

For what it's worth, the roof looks ok!

Thanks in advance, and apologies if that's not enough info, but we are just looking for a rough yes or no. Then we will decide on getting a surveyor in for a more accurate idea of costs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭husq

If you're willing to muck in, and round up a few mates, you should do it, it's not a big area

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Floodzie

Thanks for the reply! Have you done anything similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Have you had an engineer look it over? 100k would certainly appear to be enough on paper given the size, however something this old could have unseen damage that structurally could be quite significant cost wise.

Hi - we are hoping to get a full survey done on the place. It will cost a bit, so I am just checking to see if there is any point, or whether the above mentioned work will cost more than our budget. Out of interest, do you know how much would a roof cost to replace, in a worst case scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Floodzie wrote: »
    Hi - we are hoping to get a full survey done on the place. It will cost a bit, so I am just checking to see if there is any point, or whether the above mentioned work will cost more than our budget. Out of interest, do you know how much would a roof cost to replace, in a worst case scenario?

got a pic of the existing one?

• Advertisement

Unfortunately no. But it's about 35 sq metres in a 100 year old house. There are no dips in the roof so structurally it looks ok, but not sure how much replacing it would be. I'm guessing most of the slates would be re-useable. If I was to budget 10k for a worst-case scenario, does that sound right?

Advertisement