Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox neXt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Both Sony and Microsoft seem intent on shooting themselves in the foot by rushing new comsoles to the market.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Both Sony and Microsoft seem intent on shooting themselves in the foot by rushing new comsoles to the market.

They probably have been in the pipe line since the launch of the Xbox One/PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Could it be what the One should have been from the get go?

I don't think MS or Sony should be looking to upgrade at this stage, it will piss a huge amount off even if it is fully "backwards compatible" or whatever way they are spouting it....

Gonna just wait and see, I have a PC, I don't want my consoles to be continually upgraded like phones...

godtabh wrote: »
    They probably have been in the pipe line since the launch of the Xbox One/PS4

I can't honestly imagine either company foresaw or intended to bring another platform to market in less than five years of their last release. I think both have walked into the trap of allowing high end PC gaming to dominate the conversation and make it all about resolution and frame rate. It should have been about quality exclusives.

Nintendo are probably sitting on the sidelines watching all this unfold and not quite believing their good luck as their main competition runs headlong towards a cliff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I can't honestly imagine either company foresaw or intended to bring another platform to market in less than five years of their last release. I think both have walked into the trap of allowing high end PC gaming to dominate the conversation and make it all about resolution and frame rate. It should have been about quality exclusives.

Nintendo are probably sitting on the sidelines watching all this unfold and not quite believing their good luck as their main competition runs headlong towards a cliff.

My guess is that they want to control VR on consoles, and while the PSVR is looking good, the PS4 will get left behind very quickly in comparison to PC VR games.

I'd expect the next consoles to be better at driving VR games, and that'll probably be the main difference between this generation and next.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Nah, it'll just mean the NX will be completely outclassed spec wise when it hits the shelves (it indeed these rumours are true).
    CatInABox wrote: »
    My guess is that they want to control VR on consoles, and while the PSVR is looking good, the PS4 will get left behind very quickly in comparison to PC VR games.

I'd expect the next consoles to be better at driving VR games, and that'll probably be the main difference between this generation and next.

This. Not sure about MS, but Sony seem to be vying for VR...& the PS4K looks to be the way to do it. I'd imagine XB will push hololens on the successor to the XBO

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Myrddin wrote: »
    This. Not sure about MS, but Sony seem to be vying for VR...& the PS4K looks to be the way to do it. I'd imagine XB will push hololens on the successor to the XBO

I'd say MS are realising that they're behind, and are going to try to leverage their close relationship with Oculus/Facebook, and make the Xbox neXt compatible with the rift.

Interesting times at least, no idea if any of this will play out.

CatInABox wrote: »
    I'd say MS are realising that they're behind, and are going to try to leverage their close relationship with Oculus/Facebook, and make the Xbox neXt compatible with the rift.

That'd be interesting, but given the specs needed to run the Rift (a €1k pc roughly), is it possible to do on a revised Xbox One?

That'd be interesting, but given the specs needed to run the Rift (a €1k pc roughly), is it possible to do on a revised Xbox One?

Hmm.... if you sell it for 600, then it's possible. Economies of scale will reduce the cost to build it, not massively, but perhaps enough. Coupled with the fact that a console will allow greater efficiencies in development, maybe you could get away with parts that wouldn't work for the rift on PC.

Whole lot of ifs and maybes. Still don't know if it would work at all. They'd be back to selling at a massive loss in that case though, and I can't see that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I have a PC that I was gaming on for the past few years and a 360 before that. I only just got a Xbox One before Christmas and have been drawn back to gamerscore. I have a gamerscore of just under 40000 and I see people on my friends list who I had a massive gamerscore above them and now they are now massively ahead of me.

So I would be interested in a more powerful Xbox just so i can play games as good as they look on PC and still increase my gamerscore while I am at it.

• Advertisement

As someone who just only upgrade from a 360 to the xbox one, I am relieved to hear this...

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2016/04/05/microsoft-debunks-xbox-next-rumor

As someone who just only upgrade from a 360 to the xbox one, I am relieved to hear this...

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2016/04/05/microsoft-debunks-xbox-next-rumor

All that refutes is the codename 'Xbox neXt', it doesn't really mean something new isn't planned...am I clutching at straws? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

All that refutes is the codename 'Xbox neXt', it doesn't really mean something new isn't planned...am I clutching at straws? :D

I wouldn't think you are at all, as you say, they've only debunked the codename.

If anything its a trickle of information to gauge public reception to it, Phil Spencers comments at GDC or wherever got people talking, and the notions of a ps4.5 all but confirm that both manufacturers are considering an upgrade.

personally, I'd be all over a new xbox that lets me hold onto all my games, friends / achievements and is compatible with any peripherals i have.

As for a price point - €500 would probably be my upper limit without some sort of trade in option.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Phil Spencer was talking about this last month at the Spring Showcase before word got out about the PS4K, he was saying that this could be the end of traditional console generations.
    http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/1/11121666/xbox-one-hardware-upgrades-phil-spencer-microsoft

He has since backed away from the prospect of an xb1 hardware upgrade last week when asked about the possible release of a 4k capable ps4.

Are they thinking about what comes arter the xb1? Of course, but i doubt you'll see it before at least 2018 - probably a bit longer. People need to remember that MSFT see the xbox as more than a gaming machine. This summer alone more features being rolled out to enhance it as an experience. I think those looking for drastically better graphics as an absolute must have already been politely pointed in the direction of a Windows 10 PC by Spencer himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

He has since backed away from the prospect of an xb1 hardware upgrade last week when asked about the possible release of a 4k capable ps4.

Are they thinking about what comes arter the xb1? Of course, but i doubt you'll see it before at least 2018 - probably a bit longer. People need to remember that MSFT see the xbox as more than a gaming machine. This summer alone more features being rolled out to enhance it as an experience. I think those looking for drastically better graphics as an absolute must have already been politely pointed in the direction of a Windows 10 PC by Spencer himself.

what he has actually said is that he doesn't like the idea of a half step (xbox 1.5) and wants to see a significant performance boost. whether or not thats a thinly veiled dig at sonys plans is up for debate.

Either way I reckon that the xbox one with its current hardware will still be their flagship console this time next year. Maybe a slim, or perhaps, even another hard drive upgrade at the most. But we shall see.

Advertisement