Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loss after shoulder operation

• 04-04-2016 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have been lifting for just over a year now having previously been a Gaa player around 8 years ago. I had got very out of shape(22stone at one stage) now at 17 stone and lifting and running several times a week.I had a shoulder operation at the weekend to fix a few issues, the main one being a rotator cuff tear from a few years ago. The general instruction from the hospital is 3 to 6 weeks in a sling, then physio for a few weeks and then build up the exercise. Just wondering if anyone here had that type job done before and what the recovery time looked like?
    I will watch what I eat but really frustrated that I can't lift for a fair few weeks and afraid I will loose the gains I have made.
    Anyone any idea what muscle loss I can expect over the next good few weeks and any ideas around things I could do to limit the damage?
    Initial plan is to walk a few miles each day.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭slowjoe17

Mauser 308 wrote: »
    Hi all, I have been lifting for just over a year now having previously been a Gaa player around 8 years ago. I had got very out of shape(22stone at one stage) now at 17 stone and lifting and running several times a week.I had a shoulder operation at the weekend to fix a few issues, the main one being a rotator cuff tear from a few years ago. The general instruction from the hospital is 3 to 6 weeks in a sling, then physio for a few weeks and then build up the exercise. Just wondering if anyone here had that type job done before and what the recovery time looked like?
    I will watch what I eat but really frustrated that I can't lift for a fair few weeks and afraid I will loose the gains I have made.
    Anyone any idea what muscle loss I can expect over the next good few weeks and any ideas around things I could do to limit the damage?
    Initial plan is to walk a few miles each day.

A very contrarian approach is detailed at [HTML]http://startingstrength.com/video/shoulder_rehab[/HTML].

This is almost always against standard medical advice, so be careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

slowjoe17 wrote: »
    A very contrarian approach is detailed at [HTML]http://startingstrength.com/video/shoulder_rehab[/HTML].

This is almost always against standard medical advice, so be careful.

Thanks for the post, found that very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

Guys, for anyone interested or facing a similar situation.

Deadlifting - tried it after 3 weeks post operation and no issue once using decent form, mind you I went to 65% 1 rep max, but no issue at all, so think I can go much further. Will see how it goes.
    Back Squat - (using a towel wrapped around the bar for grip on bad arm) - no issue.
    Single arm dumbbell rows - no issue again, once I use good form.
    Chest supported dumbbell rows - no issue, once I use good form.
    Bent over barbell rows - no issue, once I use good form.

Standing dumbell bicep hammer curls - Started at 5kg on bad arm 10 reps x 5 sets, now at 10kg x 15 reps x 6 sets. Pre Op was doing 15kg dumbbell hammer curls x 20 reps x 5/6 sets.
    I tried barbell curls at 20kg bar only, and had a lot of pain after so left it alone for now.

Advertisement