Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meter tails over 3m

Options
  • 04-04-2016 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Just curious lads what the regs say about tails over 3 meters in a domestic property I'm an industrial spark so not up to scratch on the regs,

My understanding is its a 80A isolator to replace the 63A switch fuse in the customers board and a 63 A Mcb type B for the tails located in the esb meter cabinet ?

If correct just wondering what benfit it is to install it this way,cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Just curious lads what the regs say about tails over 3 meters in a domestic property I'm an industrial spark so not up to scratch on the regs,

My understanding is its a 80A isolator to replace the 63A switch fuse in the customers board and a 63 A Mcb type B for the tails located in the esb meter cabinet ?

If correct just wondering what benfit it is to install it this way,cheers.

Yes you are correct good sir.The reason why I think it's done, depending on what size your meter tails are for example take 16mm2, you will want to protect the cable correctly with the right size overcurrent device a 80amp HBC is not ideal on a 16mm2 cable over 5 meters long let's say.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sparkobrien77

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Yes you are correct good sir.The reason why I think it's done, depending on what size your meter tails are for example take 16mm2, you will want to protect the cable correctly with the right size overcurrent device a 80amp HBC is not ideal on a 16mm2 cable over 5 meters long let's say.

Ya I suppose it makes more sense alright rather than relying on the main incoming fuse,thanks for the response,the only thing is tho why would you have a 63 amp breaker feeding into a 80 amp isolator

Advertisement