Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Movies **Use Spoiler Tags**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

A deal won't happen as FOX are having decent success with their IP's on their own, but I actually think the MCU could be perfectly set up to introduce X-men after Infinity War.

Obviously as a full on reboot of X-men, leaving everything in the Fox universe behind.

The normal people of MCU's earth have seen enough from super-powered beings over the last decade or so to make a world where the mutants of X-men are not accepted even more believable. I also think it's a position you as the viewer could sympathize a little with, as we'll have seen the damage and destruction. It would be a great way for them to continue the universe post RDJ and Evans.

I'd love it but I won't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I really hope Marvel don't get the X-Men. Fox struggle to juggle them, I can't imagine it diffcult it would be to juggle them AND the rest of Marvel's line-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

Id be happy to leave X men out of it but I would love if the Guardian's of the galaxy had access to the silver surfer and Galactus. I think they could something really good there as the silver surfers back story is brilliant from when he was Norrin Radd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I totally agree that not being able to use the X-Men is a blessing in disguise for Marvel. It'd just be too much. However, I'd love to see Marvel get the rights back to FF and all that goes with them. It'd really open up a whole new set of storylines for the MCU and would perfectly fill a Stark shaped void.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,698 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm conflicted about whether it'd be good or bad for the MCU to get X-Men back. On the one hand I agree that it's a lot of characters to juggle etc. But at the same time, big-name characters in the MCU are likely to start dropping off by 2020 (Iron Man, Cap, Thor and Hulk maybe just making small appearances). Spider-Man isn't even fully under the MCU so who knows what'll happen there in 5 years.

Marvel are already rolling out less well-known names like Dr.Strange, Black Panther and Captain Marvel, but will it be enough to sustain them? Bringing in the X-Men opens up the likes of Wolverine & Beast who have been regular Avengers members, it opens Storm to becoming Black Panther's wife, and could lead to an Avengers V X-Men story.

I'd much rather Marvel got the X-Men than FF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Reviews are starting to come in for GoTG 2 and it's looking like they have make a great film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This. I'd imagine they're going to play it as a three act story. Three phases of The Infinity War Saga and then on to a brand new three phase saga. No reboot, just the end of "season one", as it were.

It won't happen but I think Marvel should just back off from movies for a few years. There's no doubt the MCU has been a rip-roaring success & then some, but there's always the risk the audience will dwindle or simply that Marvel will flood their own market and choke off interest.

Maybe instead they could focus more on TV productions, grow a new audience through that medium - one that historically supports and feeds off long-term fandom - then when the time was right they could branch back out into movies again. The inescapable fact of today's fandom is that Marvels own consists of people who have only ever enjoyed their TV & film productions & that might be where the new 'lifers' come from.

Of course, that's never going to happen because there's no greedier monolith than the Hollywood Blockbuster, but seems to me (you know, the embodiment of business and film expertise that I am! :rolleyes:) the smart move would be to take a break and leave your audience a little hungry for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Avengers 4 doesn't have a title as it's a spoiler to Infinity War according to Kevin Feige.

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1650510/why-avengers-4-doesnt-have-a-title-yet-according-to-kevin-feige

pixelburp wrote: »
    Of course, that's never going to happen because there's no greedier monolith than the Hollywood Blockbuster, but seems to me (you know, the embodiment of business and film expertise that I am! :rolleyes:) the smart move would be to take a break and leave your audience a little hungry for more.

I don't think they have an issue here. Spiderman, Thor 3 and GotG 2 is looking like their best lineup of Summer blockbusters yet. I imagine they do have a big headache on their hands with what to do post Infinity War. Sure, they're pass on the Captain America baton but what about the likes of Thor and Iron Man? They're big draws.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Avengers 4 doesn't have a title as it's a spoiler to Infinity War according to Kevin Feige.

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1650510/why-avengers-4-doesnt-have-a-title-yet-according-to-kevin-feige

Seems Zoe Saldana may have given it away in an interview. Have to say, not really that big a spoiler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Bacchus wrote: »
    I don't think they have an issue here. Spiderman, Thor 3 and GotG 2 is looking like their best lineup of Summer blockbusters yet. I imagine they do have a big headache on their hands with what to do post Infinity War. Sure, they're pass on the Captain America baton but what about the likes of Thor and Iron Man? They're big draws.
    Thor could be replaced by Hercules as an Avenger. Just expands the MCU mythos.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Thor could be replaced by Hercules as an Avenger. Just expands the MCU mythos.

I can see that becoming somewhat troublesome though, with Wonder Woman also using Zeus and Ares in her mythos. Plus Hercules doesn't really have that great a powerset. He can't fly or use lightning like Thor. All he has is strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Penn wrote: »
    I can see that becoming somewhat troublesome though, with Wonder Woman also using Zeus and Ares in her mythos. Plus Hercules doesn't really have that great a powerset. He can't fly or use lightning like Thor. All he has is strength.

I didnt think about WonderWoman. I was more thinking of keeping the sibling rivalry and whole god thing on the table. Granted the powerset would be a downgrade but thats unavoidable. The next Captain wont have the serum in him either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Beta Ray Bill ftw.

GotG2 is Awesome and kicks on to another level if you loved the first one you will love this as well.

The 5 stingers are all GotG related.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about Volume 2. I think it's the first time since Thor: The Dark World that I've felt a bit let down. That said it was great. But a lot of it just felt... weird.

When I first heard that Quill's dad wouldn't be
    J'sonn
    , I was a little skeptical... when he turned out to be
    Ego, The Living Planet
    , I was downright weirded out. I really didn't like
    Quill having superpowers
    but I was glad that
    they're now gone
    . I also thought there was an over-reliance on Baby Groot and the soundtrack, which was weaker than in vol. 1, though that's entirely subjective. I really didn't like any of the Earth stuff either but there wasn't much so whatever...

What I loved? The team
    being rounded out by Yondu, Mantis and Nebula
    . Every moment with Yondu, Drax, Nebula and
    Mantis
    . I also loved the random characters that showed up, in particular
    The Watchers
    . The action was a lot of fun, the comedy was spot on and there were some really great emotional moments. I think I need more time to digest and another viewing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Quite enjoyed it
    loved the bit with Groot bringing back the different items to the cell. Annoyed that they used 'The Chain' twice and didn't use the base solo once. Anyone able to tell me the significance of Stallone's group in the stinger?

Quite enjoyed it
    loved the bit with Groot bringing back the different items to the cell. Annoyed that they used 'The Chain' twice and didn't use the base solo once. Anyone able to tell me the significance of Stallone's group in the stinger?

They were all
    Guardians of the Galaxy in previous iterations in the comics

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

God, that was a bit of all right!

I didn't get that "I'm watching something new" feeling I did from the first one, but I was chuckling the whole way through, and didn't notice the time go by at all.
    If I have one problem with the film it's probably Stallone as Star Hawk. He's supposed to be this enigmatic soothsaying otherworldly thing, not IAMDELAW :D

I really enjoyed it, but it just didn't quite have those moments that the first one did.
    The action especially was non-existent in the second half of the film, meaning Drax and Gamora had so little to do, and even the scene with Yondu and Rocket escaping from the Ravagers was bland because it was just Yondu's arrow flying about the place.

I loved the ending, but again it just didn't reach the same level as set by the first one.

It was a solid watch though, and I'll definitely see it again before it leaves the cinema, but just didn't top the first one, which in fairness would be a big ask for any film.

• Advertisement

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 hasn't even opened in the States yet, and James Gunn isn't wasting time, he's already started on writing Vol.3

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2017/05/01/guardians-on-galaxy-vol-2-set-visit-chris-pratt-kurt-russell/101098586/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Lithium93_ wrote:
    Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 hasn't even opened in the States yet, and James Gunn isn't wasting time, he's already started on writing Vol.3

In previous interviews he's said he started writing Vol 2 on opening day of the original in order to distract himself from the box office figures.

Synopsis for Avengers Infinity War.
    As the Avengers and their allies have continued to protect the world from threats too large for any one hero to handle, a new danger has emerged from the cosmic shadows: Thanos. A despot of intergalactic infamy, his goal is to collect all six Infinity Stones, artifacts of unimaginable power, and use them to inflict his twisted will on all of reality. Everything the Avengers have fought for has led up to this moment - the fate of Earth and existence itself has never been more uncertain.

Stan Lee had to be cut off by his publicist in an interview Q & A yesterday when he said a new Avenger that hasn't been seen in the MCU before will be in Infinity War and fans will be very happy.

Stan Lee had to be cut off by his publicist in an interview Q & A yesterday when he said a new Avenger that hasn't been seen in the MCU before will be in Infinity War and fans will be very happy.

Television/Netflix character as good as confirmed to cross over with the film universe.

We can definitely rule out Coulson then.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Television/Netflix character as good as confirmed to cross over with the film universe.

Are you putting 2+2 together or was there some confirmation that a Netflix hero will appear in the MCU?

Luke Cage would slot in well given his power set. DD would be cool to see and fits best from the "protect my city" perspective, though he's essentially just a ninja with super senses so he's "out gunned" on the MCU scale... same could be said of BW or Hawkeye I suppose. I don't see JJ or IF fitting into the MCU neatly. It'd ruin JJ for a start.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Are you putting 2+2 together or was there some confirmation that a Netflix hero will appear in the MCU?

Luke Cage would slot in well given his power set. DD would be cool to see and fits best from the "protect my city" perspective, though he's essentially just a ninja with super senses so he's "out gunned" on the MCU scale... same could be said of BW or Hawkeye I suppose. I don't see JJ or IF fitting into the MCU neatly. It'd ruin JJ for a start.

Just basing it on the Stan Lee quote
    a new Avenger that hasn't been seen in the MCU before will be in Infinity War and fans will be very happy.
    and putting 2+2 together, and at one point or another in the comics, the Defenders have been in the Avengers. Or it could be someone from Agents Of Shield, if it were my guess would be Daisy..

Or it could be someone completely new and not from the television/netflix shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

I'd say it'll be someone new as technically those shows take place in the MCU, so all those characters have already been seen there, just not in a movie. But Stan didn't say that they hadn't been in a movie, he said they hadn't been in the MCU. Of course, that's assuming what he said was accurate and that he wasn't about to explain he meant something different when he was cut off!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

It'd be amazing if some Fox character had been negotiated as part of the Legion/ Gifted deal we don't know about.

• Advertisement

I've seen it said it could be Beast who it now seems can appear in both franchises like the twins.

Namor is also being linked as his film rights have just recently reverted back to Marvel from Universal.

Advertisement