Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Movies **Use Spoiler Tags**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Better than the Raimi directed Spider-Man 2?

On look-back, that was a really shît film. Best of a bad bunch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

On look-back, that was a really shît film. Best of a bad bunch though.

The first 2 Raimi Spider-Man films, the less said about the 3rd the better.

Gonna throw this out there. Homecoming is top level MCU. Best Spidey film by far but also better than a heap of the other MCU films, imo.

Going to see it tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Have seen it. Can confirm, very enjoyable. Definitely an end credit scene to wait for!

I felt infinity wars looming on the horizon had me
    thinking that there was never any danger. That kinda sucks because this vulture was one of marvels best MCU villians to date!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Slydice wrote: »
    Have seen it. Can confirm, very enjoyable. Definitely an end credit scene to wait for!

I felt infinity wars looming on the horizon had me
    thinking that there was never any danger. That kinda sucks because this vulture was one of marvels best MCU villians to date!
    I've kinda felt like that for a while now but honestly here I didn't.

In fact I really enjoyed RDJ's performance in this and I'm sad because I know we're most likely closing in on the end of RDJ's run. I think he's probably only got infinity war left.

So instead of feeling "Oh these can't die because infinity war next year" I was feeling more like "man this is probably one of the last times we'll see his Iron man".

Of course I could be wrong and he survives infinity war but I really don't think he will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

You can probably keep the spiderman spoilery stuff to the spiderman thread for a few days, not a lot of people can see the movie the millisecond it comes out.

You can probably keep the spiderman spoilery stuff to the spiderman thread for a few days, not a lot of people can see the movie the millisecond it comes out.

That's why we have spoiler tags.

I don't get the argument that there's no sense of danger because of Infinity War. You'd had to be crazy to think Spider-man would be killed in the first film of his new franchise. That criticism really doesn't hold up for me.

Less so about spiderman but say take for example Thor later in the year.

When Thor will be fighting Hulk in the movie there will be no steaks. Now I'm not saying you should have Hulk kill Thor or anything but just having the idea that maybe, even the tiniest of chances he might gives the fight much more weight.

I know it's not realistic to expect the movie to go any other way, I mean the hero wins and lives 99.9% of the time but I'd just like a little more doubt placed into things.

On the plus side Infinity war is going to benefit hugely from that doubt and threat to characters. Both Iron-man and cap (and a few lesser characters) are in fairly reasonable danger there. They don't necessarily have to die but the possibility of it makes it much more interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

When Thor will be fighting Hulk in the movie there will be no steaks. Now I'm not saying you should have Hulk kill Thor or anything but just having the idea that maybe, even the tiniest of chances he might gives the fight much more weight.

But that's implying that all stakes has to be life or death. I remember a friend making the same criticism about Civil War but the tension in that movie doesn't come from "Is Cap gonna kill Iron Man?" because of course he's not. The tension comes from the fact that these guys used to be friends, these are both the good guys, they shouldn't be fighting each other. Similarly with Iron Man vs Hulk in AoU the tension comes from IM trying to protect civilians and contain the Hulk.
    I'd imagine Thor vs Hulk in Ragnarok will much more pure entertainment given the gladiatorial context although it depends on whether Hulk or Banner is in control.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    But that's implying that all stakes has to be life or death. I remember a friend making the same criticism about Civil War but the tension in that movie doesn't come from "Is Cap gonna kill Iron Man?" because of course he's not. The tension comes from the fact that these guys used to be friends, these are both the good guys, they shouldn't be fighting each other. Similarly with Iron Man vs Hulk in AoU the tension comes from IM trying to protect civilians and contain the Hulk. I'd imagine Thor vs Hulk in Ragnarok will much more pure entertainment given the gladiatorial context although it depends on whether Hulk or Banner is in control.

This! The best part of Civil War was that it was 2 guys on the same side of a battle but with different perspectives; 2 great friends in an impossible conflict with each other, and that it was almost entirely orchestrated by a villain who beat them both without throwing a punch at either. Neither of them died, neither was going to die (though I did almost think one of them might at one point) but The Avengers were ripped apart.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    But that's implying that all stakes has to be life or death. I remember a friend making the same criticism about Civil War but the tension in that movie doesn't come from "Is Cap gonna kill Iron Man?" because of course he's not. The tension comes from the fact that these guys used to be friends, these are both the good guys, they shouldn't be fighting each other. Similarly with Iron Man vs Hulk in AoU the tension comes from IM trying to protect civilians and contain the Hulk. I'd imagine Thor vs Hulk in Ragnarok will much more pure entertainment given the gladiatorial context although it depends on whether Hulk or Banner is in control.

I do agree that not everything has to be life or death but that is the big one, and it's not great when you completely remove that element from any conflict. Like I said most of the time, of course the hero won't die or lose but having that as the tiniest possibility isn't a bad thing.

Presuming Banner isn't in control (I haven't read anything with planet hulk so I've no idea what they are using as a source here) then wouldn't it be better as an audience to be sat in the cinema thinking an out of control hulk is a really dangerous prospect? Is
    Thor up to the task? Especially without his hammer?

I'm not saying I won't enjoy Thor or the Thor vs hulk fight. Just that it has less stakes than if we didn't know both have to make it to Infinity war next year. I'll probably still enjoy the movie I'm sure.

It's a minor issue at best anyway and it's the price to pay for a universe that is rolling out movies at a decent pace. They do have to announce ahead of time so there's not much they can do really.

IncognitoMan, please use spoiler tags when discussing details of films that aren't yet released. For those of us who don't watch trailers, read plot news etc., your posts have already spoiled some stuff for Ragnarok.

Incidentally, the scene in Homecoming where
    Peter gets trapped under the roof and machinery and starts panicking and screaming for help like a frightened child
    is absolutely exceptional. Fantastic addition to the movie and superbly acted!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,638 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The woman who plays Liz is 27 :eek:

The woman who plays Liz is 27 :eek:

Wow... fair play to her!

Nick Fury
    to appear in Captain Marvel.

Peter gets trapped under the roof and machinery and starts panicking and screaming for help like a frightened child

It's from or very similar to some big spread they did in the comics decades ago isn't it? At least that's what I've heard since.
    Just before that that - from the moment Keaton's character (his non vulture name escapes me) opens the door at his family home until Peter gets out of the car is absolutely excellent. Just so well done.

It's from or very similar to some big spread they did in the comics decades ago isn't it? At least that's what I've heard since.
    Just before that that - from the moment Keaton's character (his non vulture name escapes me) opens the door at his family home until Peter gets out of the car is absolutely excellent. Just so well done.

Yeah it's from way back in the 60s.

Yes, that moment was also amazing! Toomes btw!

• Advertisement

I thought it was good but lacking.
    like he didn't look trapped enough, he didn't lift well enough.. not his fault I'd say.. more bad set design

Slydice wrote: »
    I thought it was good but lacking.
    like he didn't look trapped enough, he didn't lift well enough.. not his fault I'd say.. more bad set design

Hmm.... I'm gonna disagree! I didn't like the
    reflection/mask
    bit though. I mean, I've seen that shot in a hundred Spidey comics so I totally get it but it just looked badly shot or something...

Ah now, the
    mask reflection
    bit was done well. Something about how they did it maybe the
    slight pause for thought and music combo

Haha we're on opposite sides of that scene so!

Haha we're on opposite sides of that scene so!

I'm reminded of several memes of Canadians arguing real politely! :D

After seeing Homecoming last night, have to say I really enjoyed it, best Spider-Man film since the original 2..

The whole room gasped when
    Vulture was revealed to be Liz's dad

Few cheers/gasps/whoa as well for
    Pepper Potts

And the mid credits
    Scorpion
    to be the villain in the sequel?

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Few cheers/gasps/whoa as well for
    Pepper Potts

One of my favourite moments of the MCU tbh. That revelation really made me happy!!!!

Jeremy Renner has broken both his arms while filming Infinity War while doing a stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Jeremy Renner has broken both his arms while filming Infinity War while doing a stunt.

Crazy actor he is great in the hawkeye role hope he recovers from this setback.

• Advertisement

Oh shît, poor Hawkeye!

Advertisement