Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Movies **Use Spoiler Tags**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

RE: Venom flopping, I was gonna mention that last night, but didn't feel it was necessary, but yeah I'm kinda hoping it tanks. Never thought I'd say that about a comic book/super hero film.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    RE: Venom flopping, I was gonna mention that last night, but didn't feel it was necessary, but yeah I'm kinda hoping it tanks. Never thought I'd say that about a comic book/super hero film.

Heh, the symbiote has made villains of us all.

Heh, the symbiote has made villains of us all.

The way it's pronounced in the trailer, hopefully that's just the confusion of what they've found, and that the pronunciation be corrected during the film :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    The way it's pronounced in the trailer, hopefully that's just the confusion of what they've found, and that the pronunciation be corrected during the film :pac:

Surely as a scientist they would know how to pronounce it?

Maybe it's an in movie trademark that they are launching, an proprietary eponym in the beneficial parasite market.

It's a growth market

Surely as a scientist they would know how to pronounce it?

Maybe it's an in movie trademark that they are launching, an proprietary eponym in the beneficial parasite market.

It's a growth market

I have a degree in science and my English is prefect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Yup, this is all correct. There is no limit to the rights deal Spidey got sold under: As long as 1 movie is made every 5 years, Sony retain it, and it is up to them if they want to sell to Disney or not.

What I meant above was, the better Venom does, the more comfortable Sony will feel going it alone and the stronger a hand they'll have in the negotiations -"we don't need you to make money, we can do it ourselves". If it were me I would be taking this position, but only to really get a sweeter deal out of Marvel.

However as I mentioned above, the people in charge of Sony's franchises are pretty famous for their inept decisions with good franchises in the past, and ensuring the viewing public get exactly what they don't want. So I'm weirdly hoping Venom flops so they feel they really need Marvel to make dat papuh.

The Venom trailers are having a touch of the FF vibes to me so wouldn't be surprised if it bombs. I think this will be the biggest test of Hardy's leading star factor as it all hinges on how good he is or allowed to be in the role.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The problem with Venom is that IMO he's one of those comic properties that's way more popular within the culture than without; he's just not that well known & would suspect the general box office response to be an apathetic shrug. The MCU rules here, I don't honestly believe there's room for another franchise. But hey, Sony want nothing more than a multi film franchise to call their own; never forget "Ghost Corps" after all...

According to reports today "Silver and Black" is dead in the water too. They obviously don't have a breeze and are ****ed if Venom fails which as others have said....makes me feel conflicted.

The Venom trailers are having a touch of the FF vibes to me so wouldn't be surprised if it bombs. I think this will be the biggest test of Hardy's leading star factor as it all hinges on how good he is or allowed to be in the role.

It looked to me like they've gimped Hardy. He's a good actor and they have him delivering everything so straight and lifeless (I think they were going for honest and simple). Venom could be saved by him on his own, I think, if they let it.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    The problem with Venom is that IMO he's one of those comic properties that's way more popular within the culture than without; he's just not that well known & would suspect the general box office response to be an apathetic shrug. The MCU rules here, I don't honestly believe there's room for another franchise. But hey, Sony want nothing more than a multi film franchise to call their own; never forget "Ghost Corps" after all...

Yeah it's like doing a Wario film with no reference to Mario. Wario could probably carry a film but you need to show him with Mario first in order for people to care about him.

During the Sony leak, there was info on the desired Spidey cinematic universe. Venom/ Silver and Black were in there, and it went down hill from there... except for a new Raimi Spidey :D
    According to reports today "Silver and Black" is dead in the water too. They obviously don't have a breeze and are ****ed if Venom fails which as others have said....makes me feel conflicted.

Yeah it's apparently been falling apart slowly for weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Yeah it's apparently been falling apart slowly for weeks now.

I seriously doubt that it was ever in a state of togetherness.

• Advertisement

https://screenrant.com/avengers-4-theory-doctor-strange-captain-marvel/

Interesting hypothesis. Was only wondering the day about why Strange appeared on Hydra's list.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Even though I hope it tanks , I still do hope Carnage is in the film as he would never be in the MCU , He's one of my favorite villains since I watched the Spiderman Animated series all those years ago .

Most spidey villains seemed hokey and stuff to me but then Carnage came along and he was an actual serial killer and bonded with a sybeeeiote he looked awesome , Would love to get a comic accurate version of him and I hope hes in it

But I'm in 100% agreement that none of this works without Spiderman having the black suit first

• Registered Users Posts: 60,637 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Spider-Man Homecoming sequel will be called Spider-Man
    Far From Home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Spider-Man Homecoming sequel will be called Spider-Man
    Far From Home

Wonder if that implies
    some sort of fallout from being wiped out of existence and being brought back. We all know that 50% of heroes will be brought back but I do hope it has a lasting effect on them that carries through to future movies (much like Tony's PTSD from Avengers).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bacchus wrote: »
    Wonder if that implies
    some sort of fallout from being wiped out of existence and being brought back. We all know that 50% of heroes will be brought back but I do hope it has a lasting effect on them that carries through to future movies (much like Tony's PTSD from Avengers).

I have heard rumours that the 2nd film will be
    about Peter & pals on a school trip abroad (London IIRC), being then a literal take of 'far from home'. Not mad keen on the idea mind you, given he's supposed to be a 'neighbourhood' Spider Man

I wouldn't be surprised if the next solo Spidey film pulls away from the MCU somewhat. It'll be the last one before the negotiations between Disney and Sony for what happens next. Hopefully neither let that interfere in delivering a good product but I don't trust Sony all that much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

pixelburp wrote: »
    I have heard rumours that the 2nd film will be
    about Peter & pals on a school trip abroad (London IIRC), being then a literal take of 'far from home'. Not mad keen on the idea mind you, given he's supposed to be a 'neighbourhood' Spider Man

Yeah that sounds pants. Lazy idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Not sure if this is correct thread as it’s the Sony Marvel universe, but Jared Leto to star as Morbius the Living Vampire in the SpiderMan spinoff, Morbius

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/jared-leto-spider-man-spinoff-morbius-1202799820/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Not sure if this is correct thread as it’s the Sony Marvel universe, but Jared Leto to star as Morbius the Living Vampire in the SpiderMan spinoff, Morbius

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/jared-leto-spider-man-spinoff-morbius-1202799820/

1. Its not the right thread because it won't be part of the MCU but I'll forgive you because

2. It's never going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sony... just.... just stop. Okay... Just stop it.

• Advertisement

Just wish Hollywood would stop trying to make Jared Leto happen, an insufferable actor who has a contrived, skewed 'method acting' style that comes off as trying way too hard. This generations Johnny Depp really. The kind of 'suffering artist' aura, under whacky makeup that honestly turns me off seeing his films.

I hope he doesn't attempt some cringey European accent anyway. Weird feeling that Morbius' backstory is going to take some butchering to suit what Leto can bring to the table.

Morbius might happen if Venom hits.

Should we have a Sony (not very) Cinematic Universe thread?

TBH I'm happy just to rename the thread to a general 'Marvel movies' thread; Sony hardly deserve their own space - it'd just have cycles of "X is announced!", followed by "X has been put on hold" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Unfortunately I can't see Venom being a hit. Could be wrong but that trailer put me right off. I'd usually try to separate a bad trailer from a potentially good film, but I just feel like I know what's coming, an at best average 6/10 film.

So yeah I think it would be a waste of a thread tbh as the Sony universe probably won't be around too long.

Wonder if against all odds Venom and then Morbius were to be a success, that Marvel might throw a dog a bone and let Sony use the likes of Blade and Ghost Rider in exchange for Sony extending the Spidey MCU agreement.

Sony would be able to do their thing with the "dark characters " while they'd also continue to benefit from Spidey in the MCU.

Morbius is surely definitely happening with Leto on board so it's different to the other projects that were shelved that didn't even get to the casting stage....unless they're hit Universal levels of farce.

unless they're hit Universal levels of farce.

This is the company that thought Ghostbusters 3 with the original cast was a bad idea :D

CAPTAIN MARVEL has finished filming..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

this whole ant man and the wasp being out everywhere else first is a killer. avoiding podcasts and the internet like a plague so far

• Advertisement

It's a bit silly, given the reasoning (the World Cup), but as Ant-Man is way down in my personal list of MCU favourites, I'm probably less antsy to see it than others. It and Dr. Strange just don't get me excited, the first films to feel properly 'B list' in the MCU.

Advertisement