Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Movies **Use Spoiler Tags**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

God I just remember about Sean Gunn too, who is not only Kraglin but seems fairly instrumental in portraying Rocket during filming. I wonder will he stay on or go too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Unfortunate as I don't think Gunn is that type of person. Didn't he go on a tirade at Spacey or someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The Guardians cast, Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Batista, Karen Gillan & Pom Klementieff have come out in support of Gunn, as has Thanos, Drax & Gamora creator Jim Starlin, who thinks Disney got played.. Sean Gunn tweeted a thread on the whole controversy.
    After giving it a couple days to think over this James Gunn/Disney controversy, I've come to the conclusion that the Mouse got played, Yes, Gunn's decade-old tweets were distasteful and stupid, but clearly meant to be foolishly provocative rather than taken as advocacy. The whole uproar over them was plainly ginned up by two Breitbart hatchet men, John Nolte and Mike Cernovich, in response to Rosanne Barr's firing for her repeated hate-filled and racist tweets. I have to agree with Dave Bautista on this one. Disney accepted a ridiculous apple and oranges argument and made one hell of a bad call.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    The Guardians cast, Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Batista, Karen Gillan & Pom Klementieff have come out in support of Gunn, as has Thanos, Drax & Gamora creator Jim Starlin, who thinks Disney got played.. Sean Gunn tweeted a thread on the whole controversy.

Disney have royally shagged this up.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Disney have royally shagged this up.

Pretty much.

• Advertisement

Pretty much.

They'll have to climb down. Half the cast are disgusted now. How could any Volume 3 ever work when no one wants to be there?

pjohnson wrote: »
    They'll have to climb down. Half the cast are disgusted now. How could any Volume 3 ever work when no one wants to be there?

I'm surprised some of the Avengers cast haven't weighed in given Gunn is credited as an executive producer for Infinity War, surely someone on that cast would be able to bend someone's ear..

It'd be like firing RDJ from Avengers 4 for **** he did in the 90's (which I saw posted in the Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 thread in the film forum)..

Anyways, it's moving one step closer, Disney & Fox shareholders have voted to approve the merger.

https://twitter.com/MCU_Tweets/status/1022849773576118278
    BREAKING: Disney and Fox shareholders have voted to approve the $71.3 billion merger of the two companies, marking another step closer to @MarvelStudios introducing the X-Men and Fantastic Four into the MCU!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think it was highlighted before: but to be clear, what are Disney buying here? Fox TV and Films studios, their IPS, or what?

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think it was highlighted before: but to be clear, what are Disney buying here? Fox TV and Films studios, their IPS, or what?

Quick Google search. taken from the Wikipedia page on the subject. And this is what Disney are getting.
    Fox Entertainment Group
    20th Century Fox
    Fox Searchlight Pictures
    20th Century Fox Television
    Blue Sky Studios
    Fox Star Studios
    Fox Networks Group
    FX Networks
    National Geographic Partners (73%)
    Star TV
    Sky plc (39.14%)
    Sky News (100%)
    Hulu (United States) (30% -- Disney already owns 30%, after which it will own 60%)
    Endemol Shine Group (50%)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposed_acquisition_of_21st_Century_Fox_by_Disney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

It really is an absolutely monstrous deal. From looking onliine, some of the stuff I presume they'll get:

TV:
    The Simpsons
    Family Guy
    American Dad
    Bob's Burgers
    It's always sunny
    The Walking Dead
    Futurama
    Arrested Development
    A load of Gordon Ramsay shows

Film:
    Alien
    Planet of the Apes
    Predator
    X-men
    F4
    Deadpool
    Kingsmen
    Die Hard
    The X-Files
    Home Alone
    Independence Day
    The Martian

What Disney are doing is building up their catalogue to release their own streaming service to rival Netflix and when you add all those above (and more) to their existing properties (Star Wars, Marvel and Disney Kids films) then add in the original stuff they are planning and Netflix have their work cut out.

On the Marvel side they will basically have their full stable of characters back now

6T6A87N.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's an insane deal. The lead might be to talk about the X-men 'coming home', but the details of the merger are quite eye-boggling. It's a hell of a monopoly of Pop Culture they're building for themselves. Pick a franchise and chances are it's now owned by Disney. That just doesn't feel healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I would rather Disney have it than Comcast.

I also hope Comcast fail in there bid for Sky here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

It is worrying especially considering the squeeze Disney were already putting on Cinemas around the release of Star Wars: the last jedi (higher % of ticket sales and forcing them to keep the film in main theatres longer). They've shown a willingness to throw their weight around and that weight is ever increasing.

Cast of Guardians published this in support of James Gunn.

DjXnkWxXcAYpQhj.jpg

Pom comfortably with the best signature of the lot.

Fantastic letter and show of support.

Ramps up the pressure on Disney nicely. What director in their right mind would walk into that? Maybe Whedon. :rolleyes:

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/guardians-of-the-galaxy/news/a863227/guardians-of-the-galaxy-dave-bautista-working-for-disney-nauseating-james-gunn-firing/

Dave on the rampage again..... I admire his loyalty but I'd be concerned about what he's doing to his career long term by hitting out like this. Disney are a monster that just keeps getting bigger.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Cast of Guardians published this in support of James Gunn.

DjXnkWxXcAYpQhj.jpg
    Pity the cast of roseanne hadn't the balls that these guys have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Pity the cast of roseanne hadn't the balls that these guys have.
    Completely different situation, no matter how many times people try to compare them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/guardians-of-the-galaxy/news/a863227/guardians-of-the-galaxy-dave-bautista-working-for-disney-nauseating-james-gunn-firing/

Dave on the rampage again..... I admire his loyalty but I'd be concerned about what he's doing to his career long term by hitting out like this. Disney are a monster that just keeps getting bigger.
    Which actually makes his stand all the more admirable. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Jebus comparison with Roseanne woah tell me he did not just say that...

Hope Disney finds a way to keep Gunn on he has a great system with Gotg cast and has told two great stories so far.

Batista willing to walk if Gunns script isn't used for Guardians 3.

https://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/exclusive-dave-bautista-interview-james-gunn-guardians-of-the-galaxy-firing-quit-twitter/368730
    Where I’m at right now is that if Marvel don’t use that script, then I’m going to ask them to release me from my contract, cut me out or recast me.

I’d be doing James a disservice if I didn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

It would take pratt to walk for this to be taking serious although no one else could ever be Drax he has been so good in that role.

Samuel L. Jackson & Cobie Smulders
    have been confirmed to appear in Spider-Man: Far From Home

Depending on what blogs or news source you might frequent, that news is possibly already spoiled via a headline. Was for me anyway

Possible Reprieve On James Gunn & ‘Guardians’ As Marvel Back Channels With Disney?
    EXCLUSIVE: Might there be a glimmer of hope for change of heart in the quick banishment of Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn from the Magic Kingdom? Nobody is talking about it, but sources said that back channel conversations are taking place between Marvel Studios and Disney. Sources said the Marvel contingent is trying to persuade Disney to explore a compromise that might bring Gunn back into the fold for Guardians 3, something that clearly would be best for the franchise. There is no clash or strong arming here. I’m told it’s a discussion that comes in the wake of the whole cast declaring their loyalty to Gunn, whose abrupt exit has put a thriving film franchise in a rocky place. One would have to label this 11th hour approach to be a long shot, but the community is talking about it.

On Disney Vision: "We Won't Be Getting Into Any...
    Gunn’s regrettable Tweets offered indefensible comments on spectacularly serious subjects like pedophilia and rape, written as long as a decade ago. They were collected and published by The Daily Caller, One America News Network correspondent Jack Posobiec and right wing commentator Mike Cernovich, apparently after Gunn mocked conservative pundit Ben Shapiro. Initial reports encouraged readers to complain to Disney, and the studio responded quickly and decisively to complete a stunning take down: “The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James’ Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values, and we have severed our business relationship with him,” said Alan Horn, Walt Disney Studios chairman.

It would not be surprising that Marvel Studios’ Kevin Feige would make one last try at rapprochement. Disney’s quick guillotine contrasted dramatically to CBS’s handling of the Les Moonves controversy. Though his problems are self-inflicted, Gunn was banished for an incredibly poor choice of words; Moonves continues to run CBS, pending an investigation into allegations of serious sexual harassment bordering on sexual assault. Anyone at Disney would be hard pressed to say the quick hook has benefited the Guardians franchise. The entire cast unanimously wants Gunn back, even as they acknowledge he was an idiot, at a time he was graduating from the Troma schlock horror factory and attempting to be some kind of satirical provocateur. Gunn remains eminently hire-able and a studio chief told me recently he’s eager to give him a picture once Gunn is free of Disney.

Disney and Marvel want to move forward quickly with the next Guardians installment, and one of the reasons the Chris Pratt-starrer Cowboy Ninja Viking stalled at Universal this week was because the film was undergoing rewrites too close to start of production — a recipe for problems — and it was clear Pratt was on a tight timeline because he has to suit up to play Starlord. Gunn has written a script and Dave Bautista has gone as far as declaring he won’t want to reprise his Drax character unless Marvel uses Gunn’s version. All of this has created acrimony and destabilized a crowd pleasing franchise that grossed a collective $1.6 billion worldwide, with the sequel earning more than the original.

In this white-hot moment, there seems to be a new controversy each day for corporate leaders to navigate. It seems clear what is best for a film franchise that will become damaged goods for the next director. Some have posited that the precocious Thor: Ragnarok‘s Taika Waititi as a perfect fit, but what principled filmmaker will feel good about taking over in such circumstances?

Can even as mighty and as family friendly a corporation as Disney consider being changeable here? Stay tuned.

https://deadline.com/2018/08/james-gunn-guardians-of-the-galaxy-marvel-studios-disney-eleventh-hour-save-attempt-1202443199/

The whole thing is worrying to me because this is the first time Disney have strong armed Marvel like this.

I'd be curious to know if the whole farce makes some people more sympathetic to DC being incredibly mishandled and mistreated by WB. Marvel more or less got to call their own shots for a long time, now all of a sudden Disney have made it clear who ultimately calls the shots.

• Advertisement

Entertainment Weekly magazine with Brie Larson in the Captain Marvel suit. Teaser is supposed to be released sometime this month.

40953792_10156872869604701_2239878461940301824_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=12ceaea64f5cc38864fa8b3602e7a1c6&oe=5BFA4760

Advertisement