Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Movies **Use Spoiler Tags**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

That's a pretty terrible first image.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

How's about this one?

DmV-ONeWwAEVCOD.jpg

That's better.

They should have just released a trailer.

Some more FIRST LOOK stills.

40882643_328246094592850_8705930401555677184_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=0bfc2a2d2572ae956e12bebcbd39b3ba&oe=5C39A958

40858882_328246047926188_1364012850783191040_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=e1e7b0e37d3e45c7666aeb977216d67f&oe=5C3464EB

41162344_328246064592853_4442937290238459904_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=be5ca57badac2eb73f527a960219ded1&oe=5C35738B

40904799_328246134592846_7372478768524296192_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=c0bae42494b308cdddb5274f680d6b62&oe=5C336BA3

40960991_328246147926178_5169080874032955392_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=9522814a9e6c570da8ba69d81affd6b2&oe=5BECBFAF

40943292_328246257926167_3624290624968065024_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=4d6ef6b6f9b81bdbc637c75adaff0ee4&oe=5C22C670

41019849_328246291259497_2598797312520093696_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=390b79278145c14230f7c465d6c630bc&oe=5BF536DB

40833732_328246227926170_8769111131416428544_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=7d8acf1b7723a6a639a8720d3b16eccc&oe=5C2CC5B4

41263778_328246374592822_5176310158690615296_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=c91c1e9f436885b149522734d12fe0ff&oe=5C2E1B80

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

It's EW. They ALWAYS create these over styled/processed looking promotional images. Pay no heed to it.

The stills from the movie itself looks great. I'm liking the tie in with Ronan. I felt he was a bit underused in GotG and could have been a good villain in the MCU if he was given more time. Also... Skrulls.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Just realised she's wearing a NIN t shirt.

NiN did the song in the very first Averngers trailer: We're in this together...

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If anyone is in Dublin tomorrow Saturday and is free the Red Skull himself Hugo Weaving is going to be in the Forbidden Planet at 2pm.

Was just thinking there - I know a lot of people think Captain Marvel will choose to leave Earth by the end of her film to ensure the peace is kept between the Kree and Skrulls, but wouldn't it be a bit of a twist if Fury also implores her to leave earth as well?

SHIELD must of had some job sweeping the whole thing under the rug and ensuring the world didn't find out about an alien invasion 20 years before it eventually did. Could they have done that while Carol stuck around?

However Fury being Fury would have to cover all his bases just in case, hence the pager as a line of communication should the need arise.

Wouldn't it be crazy if we got a flash forward to after the climatic battle in Avengers 1 where Fury contacts Carol to tell her the world now knows it's not alone so she can come back if she wants and join the team, only for her to say thanks but no thanks.... But let me know should the sh1t truly hit the fan and I'll come back.

This is what I love about the MCU; the beauty in its simplicity and the excitement it gives fans by speculating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The de-aging done to Sam Jackson is uncanny; like, I'd legitimately presume it a still from some random 90s movie.

pixelburp wrote: »
    The de-aging done to Sam Jackson is uncanny; like, I'd legitimately presume it a still from some random 90s movie.

He looks more like Zeus Carver from Die Hard 3 than a young Nick Fury...

• Advertisement

First trailer for Captain Marvel coming on Tuesday.

https://twitter.com/MCU_Tweets/status/1040662119799242759

Fcuk sake. Just release it without making a song and dance about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah you'd think the one franchise not in need of generating hype is the MCU. Particularly for a film many have been pretty eagerly looking forward to

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Oh the hype train will be huge on this one by Disney simply because it's the MCU's first female lead film.

I'm pretty sure Marvel have this worked down to a tee and they'll shovel every bit of promotion onto CM if they think it'll end up drawing one more cent for them.

Also worth considering, we don't know how important this film is (in terms of MCU general). It's pretty clear she's going to be in the next Avengers in a big way, so possibly this film is a bigger "deal" than we realise yet. Especially considering how throwaway Ant-Man and the Wasp was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I'm pretty sure Marvel have this worked down to a tee and they'll shovel every bit of promotion onto CM if they think it'll end up drawing one more cent for them.

Also worth considering, we don't know how important this film is (in terms of MCU general). It's pretty clear she's going to be in the next Avengers in a big way, so possibly this film is a bigger "deal" than we realise yet. Especially considering how throwaway Ant-Man and the Wasp was.

For a start, I think it's safe to say that (based on the mid-credit scene with the pager) there will be a strong link to IW here that puts together the pieces of how/why Fury has that pager. It might end up just being another mid-credit scene though that will tie into IW part 2... with IW part 2 filling in all the blanks with their time travel shenanigans. Aside from the IW tie in, I think this will totally rock the core of the MCU going all the way back to the first stinger scene with Stark and Fury saying you're part of a bigger universe. This is the backdrop to that. The fact that the Skrulls are involved too... on Earth (it looks from the released pics), is huge. So yeah... I think this is going to be a HUGE deal for the MCU in many ways.

Bacchus wrote: »
    For a start, I think it's safe to say that (based on the mid-credit scene with the pager) there will be a strong link to IW here that puts together the pieces of how/why Fury has that pager. It might end up just being another mid-credit scene though that will tie into IW part 2... with IW part 2 filling in all the blanks with their time travel shenanigans. Aside from the IW tie in, I think this will totally rock the core of the MCU going all the way back to the first stinger scene with Stark and Fury saying you're part of a bigger universe. This is the backdrop to that. The fact that the Skrulls are involved too... on Earth (it looks from the released pics), is huge. So yeah... I think this is going to be a HUGE deal for the MCU in many ways.

Skrulls mean after IW2 is done they have Secret Invasion already seeded. So yeah... big :)

Also, the Fox deal isn't even done. Isn't it interesting how confident they are using the Skrull (Avengers used the Chitauri because they couldn't/ didn't want to use the Skrull- based on statements by Gunn and Feige, Cosmic races like the Skrull and Watchers have 50/50 ownership between Fox and Marvel).

I think they were OK to use the Skrulls back in Avengers 1, I imagine they didn't because they had bigger plans for the Skrulls all the way back when (another testament to the big picture planning). So they went with the Chitauri as the easy throwaway instead.

If I remember correctly it was just Super Skrull that was exclusively Fox.

I think they were OK to use the Skrulls back in Avengers 1, I imagine they didn't because they had bigger plans for the Skrulls all the way back when (another testament to the big picture planning). So they went with the Chitauri as the easy throwaway instead.

If I remember correctly it was just Super Skrull that was exclusively Fox.

Yeah they were ok to, they just didn't want to use shared properties until whatever calmed the waters around the time of Age of Ultron (probably the separating of Marvel pictures from the parent company so Perlmutter wasn't involved, and possibly the firing of Tom Rothman at Fox).

Not too much in the trailer. Looks solid, as far as we can tell from a trailer :D

• Advertisement

Her powers look good and Larson just has something about her that's captivating, which I think will be important if she doesn't know she really is and will spend much of the film trying to figure it out.

They could have definitely been bolder with the trailer admittedly however. Fans have been waiting a long time for the trailer so they could have thrown one or two extra bones. No need for the top level secrecy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

They could have definitely been bolder with the trailer admittedly however. Fans have been waiting a long time for the trailer so they could have thrown one or two extra bones. No need for the top level secrecy.

It is still 6 months away. I like how Marvel generally do their trailers, giving away very little in the first one. Since the first Avengers movie I only ever watch the initial one, so I don’t really risk spoilers. I watched closely all the trailers for that and felt the climax of it was ruined for me as one of them showed Hulk catching Iron Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I think especially since this is a) the first time we're seeing Captain Marvel and most wouldn't know who she is, and b) the first solo female Marvel movie, I don't think they really could have shown more than they did for a first trailer. Movie is still a long way off, and unfortunately Marvel tend to overdo it a lot of the time with TV spots etc.

Trailer looked great though imo. Nothing to complain about there for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Crashing through the building at the start reminded me of the first impression of the beatdown at the start of The Winter Soldier! Then it just got better from there.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    It is still 6 months away. I like how Marvel generally do their trailers, giving away very little in the first one. Since the first Avengers movie I only ever watch the initial one, so I don’t really risk spoilers. I watched closely all the trailers for that and felt the climax of it was ruined for me as one of them showed Hulk catching Iron Man.

There are ways to present a good compelling trailer or teaser without spoiling anything. The Dark Knight Rises for example had a teaser that was was just over a minute long but was gripping... and it showed barely any actual footage!

For me it was just wanting a bit given as you say, the film is 6 months away, but it's not that often that you'd get this close to a release date with how little is known here. Which is fine, Infinity War was the same and was all the better for it, the difference there being that they weren't stingy with the marketing.

Just expected more of a statement to be made for their first female led film instead of relying on an SLJ voice over. Maybe my expectations were too high because I've been looking forward to the trailer immensely.

There are ways to present a good compelling trailer or teaser without spoiling anything. The Dark Knight Rises for example had a teaser that was was just over a minute long but was gripping... and it showed barely any actual footage!

For me it was just wanting a bit given as you say, the film is 6 months away, but it's not that often that you'd get this close to a release date with how little is known here. Which is fine, Infinity War was the same and was all the better for it, the difference there being that they weren't stingy with the marketing.

Just expected more of a statement to be made for their first female led film instead of relying on an SLJ voice over. Maybe my expectations were too high because I've been looking forward to the trailer immensely.

Hard to compare Captain Marvel to the teaser to the third movie of a trilogy for one of the most well-known superheroes ever. This had to give some sort of back story/narrative to who Captain Marvel is to the majority of people who don’t have a clue and I’m happy they did so without spoiling too much.

Also, for Infinity War they hadn’t even started marketing at all by this point as 6 months before it neither Thor Ragnarok nor Black Panther had been released. I don’t see how you can say 6 months out that they are being stingy with marketing. This movie will be marketed massively, they just aren’t going to go huge this far out.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Hard to compare Captain Marvel to the teaser to the third movie of a trilogy for one of the most well-known superheroes ever. This had to give some sort of back story/narrative to who Captain Marvel is to the majority of people who don’t have a clue and I’m happy they did so without spoiling too much.

Also, for Infinity War they hadn’t even started marketing at all by this point as 6 months before it neither Thor Ragnarok nor Black Panther had been released. I don’t see how you can say 6 months out that they are being stingy with marketing. This movie will be marketed massively, they just aren’t going to go huge this far out.

I don't think it's too unfair to compare as it's a bar Feige set himself, from his consistent talk of how CM is going to change the game for the MCU to Larson's tweet before the EW spread about breaking the Internet. Marvel have stressed that Captain Marvel is a massive deal, but the trailer just didn't give that vibe. Grace Randolph did a better job than I could of explaining it if you want to check her posts out today.

The first IW trailer came out in November iirc, roughly 6 months before the release. It didn't give much away plot wise which was fine but they threw in a few nice bones like the money shot in Wakanda. Just little things that allowed fans to speculate endlessly and have some fun. I accept though that my disappointment is down to me personally not getting what I hoped for out of the CM trailer.

I don't think it's too unfair to compare as it's a bar Feige set himself, from his consistent talk of how CM is going to change the game for the MCU to Larson's tweet before the EW spread about breaking the Internet. Marvel have stressed that Captain Marvel is a massive deal, but the trailer just didn't give that vibe. Grace Randolph did a better job than I could of explaining it if you want to check her posts out today.

The first IW trailer came out in November iirc, roughly 6 months before the release. It didn't give much away plot wise which was fine but they threw in a few nice bones like the money shot in Wakanda. Just little things that allowed fans to speculate endlessly and have some fun. I accept though that my disappointment is down to me personally not getting what I hoped for out of the CM trailer.

I don't know where Feige has set the bar that this origin story will be structured and treated the same way as franchises and characters that we've gotten to know over numerous movies. IW has the same issues as TDKR when it comes to comparisons with this, the public know the characters involved in those so they can devote more time to other things where here they are introducing her to the majority of the potential audience. They have to tease the new character as well here. I believe she will be a massive deal in the universe but with you trailer comparisons you're comparing apples to oranges.

As you advised I took a look Grace Randolph's twitter and it looks like she dissects frame by frame of the trailer for hints of the movie, which is literally the opposite of what I want to do. Obviously she would prefer there to be as many 'money shots' or nods as possible as theories on these is how she gets her clicks and her money. Each to their own but as I said I went down that road for the early Marvel movies and since I've stopped it has drastically enhanced my enjoyment the movies.

One of these days I must actually read into this "Grace" person who keeps getting name-dropped as some Source of Truth in all things comic.

I think there's the context here with the trailer of "It's Marvel". I mean think on it for a second: we're looking at a series of 20+ films, that have by and large managed to maintain a pretty consistent quality standard. Even when they've faltered as with Iron Man 2, they've still been pretty watchable. There's an element of the reliable when it comes to the MCU and so while the Captain Marvel trailer may not blow a person away, I think that just speaks to the subconscious dependability the series now possesses. Compare that with the Wonder Woman trailer and - music notwithstanding - I think a lot of folks were hyped about a DC film that didn't look like it'd completely suck.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    One of these days I must actually read into this "Grace" person who keeps getting name-dropped as some Source of Truth in all things comic.

Don't think you'd get much out of it tbh, she's one of these "thought leader" vloggers who makes mass appeal videos (as someone who is pretty deep in this stuff I don't think you'd get much out of it). Also she needs to hire a production person because the quality of her vids is very low (which can't be helped if you're on your onw pushing out daily stuff.)

Advertisement