Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Movies **Use Spoiler Tags**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

People keep looking at these things linearly and not taking in mind the way the source material has worked. This wouldn't even be a small problem for your average Bendis level writer to deal with :D here's my z grade attempt based on what we know:

Wanda, mourning the loss of Pietro and Vision, loses control of herself, unaware of the full extent of her reality warping powers. She subconsciously attempts to bring them back, but in doing so, tears a hole in the fabric of space time, endangering all realities. Holes appear everywhere, where the realities crash and merge, spilling into one another.

Doctor Strange, who is attuned to this sort of thing, realises the only person who can fix it in a world without infinity stones, is Wanda herself. Together, they try to fix it, with the help of time/ space lost characters like America Chavez, while street level heroes like Spider-Man try to deal with crazy, alternate reality parts of their lives rampaging through the streets "Sorry, Mr Octopus, I don't know who you are, but could you calm down please?"

Wanda and Strange do her best but Wanda is new to this type of thing. She stitches reality up- but there are a few changes, some parts of realities left that were destroyed in the crisis and some refugees, no longer able to return home or perhaps even aware this is a new reality, are here now.

These could easily include the mutants, and Wanda's teenage kids, who can make up the Young Avengers/ Champions with America Chavez, Stature/ Cassie Lang, Kate Bishop, and Ms. Marvel. Hulkling could show up from the Secret War series.

So then we have a new status quo without the multiverse being a permanent thing they're always reaching to. It could just be an arc to achieve a goal.

I feel like you read the recent X-Men/Empyre tie in :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

pjohnson wrote: »
    I feel like you read the recent X-Men/Empyre tie in :pac:

Genuinely haven't, I based that on what we know about upcoming projects/ house of M/ Dark Phoenix saga/ The Illuminati/ Avengers Disassembled/ Crisis on Infinite Earths :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

People keep looking at these things linearly and not taking in mind the way the source material has worked. This wouldn't even be a small problem for your average Bendis level writer to deal with :D here's my z grade attempt based on what we know:

Wanda, mourning the loss of Pietro and Vision, loses control of herself, unaware of the full extent of her reality warping powers. She subconsciously attempts to bring them back, but in doing so, tears a hole in the fabric of space time, endangering all realities. Holes appear everywhere, where the realities crash and merge, spilling into one another.

Doctor Strange, who is attuned to this sort of thing, realises the only person who can fix it in a world without infinity stones, is Wanda herself. Together, they try to fix it, with the help of time/ space lost characters like America Chavez, while street level heroes like Spider-Man try to deal with crazy, alternate reality parts of their lives rampaging through the streets "Sorry, Mr Octopus, I don't know who you are, but could you calm down please?"

Wanda and Strange do her best but Wanda is new to this type of thing. She stitches reality up- but there are a few changes, some parts of realities left that were destroyed in the crisis and some refugees, no longer able to return home or perhaps even aware this is a new reality, are here now.

These could easily include the mutants, and Wanda's teenage kids, who can make up the Young Avengers/ Champions with America Chavez, Stature/ Cassie Lang, Kate Bishop, and Ms. Marvel. Hulkling could show up from the Secret War series.

So then we have a new status quo without the multiverse being a permanent thing they're always reaching to. It could just be an arc to achieve a goal.

Great post! This is the exact type of story I'd be completely comfortable with but isn't what many posters have been pushing for, the ones I was referring to in my post. Many have wanted either a completely separate universe focused on X-men or pulling characters in a controlled manner, like Into the Spiderverse, who then stay around.

On the X-men, I'd still prefer if they happened more organically within the MCU, like mutations are accelerated by the snaps. I think the 'refugee' angle would be good, and relate to current refugee issues, but you'd likely miss out important narratives of young, new mutants dealing with their families etc. Maybe the mix of both would work, the snaps driving mutations in the MCU while multiverse pulls in some older mutants.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Great post! This is the exact type of story I'd be completely comfortable with but isn't what many posters have been pushing for, the ones I was referring to in my post. Many have wanted either a completely separate universe focused on X-men or pulling characters in a controlled manner, like Into the Spiderverse, who then stay around.

On the X-men, I'd still prefer if they happened more organically within the MCU, like mutations are accelerated by the snaps. I think the 'refugee' angle would be good, and relate to current refugee issues, but you'd likely miss out important narratives of young, new mutants dealing with their families etc. Maybe the mix of both would work, the snaps driving mutations in the MCU while multiverse pulls in some older mutants.

I understand a lot of people don't want mutants in the MCU, I'm more trying to point out why saying logically they can't or it doesn't fit the narrative or whatever isn't a decent argument- if they want to, a sci fi writer will always be able to McGuffin their way around the rules other people place on them :D The argument that they shouldn't from a world being too crowded is a much better one!

In this headcanon I've just created you'd get older mutants like Wolverine and Magneto left adrift in the MCU, but as their reality was kinda merged with that, natural mutants could start happening from that point, so you could get all the kids from the books too.

Could use that to explain why mutants are feared over other superhumans too, as people could subconsciously just know something is "off" about them, even if they can't remember why.

You could also just refugee older mutants and have their original timeline become Age of Apocalypse/Days of Future Past

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder who will be the Big Bad for phase 4 all the 10 series are part of phase 4 and it looks like the main storyline will intertwine between the series and the films that has me wondering will Abomination now that we know he is retuning play a role in being the Big Bad at least for some of phase 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I wonder who will be the Big Bad for phase 4 all the 10 series are part of phase 4 and it looks like the main storyline will intertwine between the series and the films that has me wondering will Abomination now that we know he is retuning play a role in being the Big Bad at least for some of phase 4.

Kang The Conqueror would be the obvious bet for the big bad. Given how it's all leaning multiverse/quantum realm shenanigans.

Abomination & The Thunderbolts probably being the mini bosses through out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'd like to see Tim Blake Nelson given his shot at playing The Leader, if Abomination is coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I think Kang will be a prominent and complex figure in the next few Phases, but not THE big enemy like Thanos.

Still quietly expecting it to be Galactus. Introducing The Eternals and the Fantastic 4 just rings alarm bells for me.

Ye 10 series and 10 movies over the space of the next 3 years there will probably be a number of mini Big Bads leading to the introduction of the main Big Bad for phases 5 and 6.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's the classic scenario that befalls stories with this grand sense of scale: once you literally imperil the entire universe (or more specifically, 50% at random lol), it's hard to go return to that kind of narrative well. Galactus feels like the most immediate, obvious equivalent in terms of a villain to rival Thanos but, but Infinity War also functioned as a coincidental thematic end too. Beyond the gimmick of the MCU's longterm storytelling hitting a conclusion, most fans knew Downey JR. and Evans had their eye on the exit so there was a more palpable sense that we were reaching the end of a journey.

It was Lightning in a Bottle stuff really; Phases 4 onwards may struggle to recreate those fresh, enticing horizons. And I'm still not convinced its post Iron Man / Cap America bench is deep or interesting enough that audiences will follow - especially now in these crazy CoVid days, where the literal future of cinema is at stake. The sad passing of Chadwick Boseman has unintentionally given Black Panther 2 a rubbernecking quality, the rest are like ... *shrug*

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's the classic scenario that befalls stories with this grand sense of scale: once you literally imperil the entire universe (or more specifically, 50% at random lol), it's hard to go return to that kind of narrative well. Galactus feels like the most immediate, obvious equivalent in terms of a villain to rival Thanos but, but Infinity War also functioned as a coincidental thematic end too. Beyond the gimmick of the MCU's longterm storytelling hitting a conclusion, most fans knew Downey JR. and Evans had their eye on the exit so there was a more palpable sense that we were reaching the end of a journey.

It was Lightning in a Bottle stuff really; Phases 4 onwards may struggle to recreate those fresh, enticing horizons. And I'm still not convinced its post Iron Man / Cap America bench is deep or interesting enough that audiences will follow - especially now in these crazy CoVid days, where the literal future of cinema is at stake. The sad passing of Chadwick Boseman has unintentionally given Black Panther 2 a rubbernecking quality, the rest are like ... *shrug*

I think nearly every film going forward will be mini Avengers team ups like Civil War to make up for the lack of depth on the roster. Crossover heavy will be the deal, plus leaning on the multiverse to pluck characters from the "Marvel Legends" movies when needed.

I mean you have Thor and the Guardians.

Ant Man and the Young Avengers.

Captain Marvel plus Ms Marvel and possibly even Rogue.

Spidey and his Spider verse.

Doctor Strange, Wanda and whatever other mad sh1t they pull of the multiverse.

There's a clear and new gimmick developing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I think nearly every film going forward will be mini Avengers team ups like Civil War to make up for the lack of depth on the roster. Crossover heavy will be the deal, plus leaning on the multiverse to pluck characters from the "Marvel Legends" movies when needed.

I mean you have Thor and the Guardians.

Ant Man and the Young Avengers.

Captain Marvel plus Ms Marvel and possibly even Rogue.

Spidey and his Spider verse.

Doctor Strange, Wanda and whatever other mad sh1t they pull of the multiverse.

There's a clear and new gimmick developing there.

Is it new though? More often than not in Phase 3 there was some sort of overlap or 'team up'.

Admittedly the characters aren't as strong as Cap and IM but it only makes sense that as the MCU progresses that there would be more overlap. The more heroes out there and the more they know each other it becomes harder and harder to explain why at least one doesn't show up in the movie of the other.

Yeah I ain't criticising, it's a situation they've earned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I see what you're saying with those rosters White Wolf but I dunno, it's obviously just me but I really can't get behind any of those characters. Even someone like Spider-Man who I've loved since being a kid feels like he's becoming Stark V2.

Despite my objections to the merger, at this stage I'd prefer to see the MCU pivot to the mutants. That's the bench with tonnes of good characters and stories, but also feels a tad incompatible with the MCU as built.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Kang The Conqueror would be the obvious bet for the big bad. Given how it's all leaning multiverse/quantum realm shenanigans.

Abomination & The Thunderbolts probably being the mini bosses through out.

Yeah I have a feeling all of the previous civil war and endgame is leading to the introduction of The Thunderbolts.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I see what you're saying with those rosters White Wolf but I dunno, it's obviously just me but I really can't get behind any of those characters. Even someone like Spider-Man who I've loved since being a kid feels like he's becoming Stark V2.

Despite my objections to the merger, at this stage I'd prefer to see the MCU pivot to the mutants. That's the bench with tonnes of good characters and stories, but also feels a tad incompatible with the MCU as built.
    I'm interested in the multiverse stuff so Strange, Wanda, Spidey and Ant Man will hold my attention for now.

Fascinated by how the mutants will be introduced - the common shared speculation is that Rogue will be the starting point in CM2.

I'm interested in the multiverse stuff so Strange, Wanda, Spidey and Ant Man will hold my attention for now.

Fascinated by how the mutants will be introduced - the common shared speculation is that Rogue will be the starting point in CM2.

It had for so long been expected to be Ororo in Black Panther 2 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

House of M type situation for Wandavision would be a good swerve

Loki looking like it will be good.

House of M type situation for Wandavision would be a good swerve

Loki looking like it will be good.

The reverse House of M has also become popular. She tries to bring Quicksilver back to life and he comes back as an actual mutant. Some even speculating it might be Evan Peters rather than Aaron Taylor-Johnson that would appear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think Kang will be a prominent and complex figure in the next few Phases, but not THE big enemy like Thanos.

Still quietly expecting it to be Galactus. Introducing The Eternals and the Fantastic 4 just rings alarm bells for me.

With Fantastic 4 comes Doctor Doom, who's one of the better Marvel villains, and is someone you can really build up to as a Thanos level multi phase villain.

The reverse House of M has also become popular. She tries to bring Quicksilver back to life and he comes back as an actual mutant. Some even speculating it might be Evan Peters rather than Aaron Taylor-Johnson that would appear.

That would be a swerve and a half

It had for so long been expected to be Ororo in Black Panther 2 :(

I suspect BP2 might be a prequel for T'chaka or a multiverse film now so anything is still possible. I mean multiverse would give them any number of Black Panthers from N'Jobu to Killmonger. Ororo could still play a role there. That's the weird thing I find about some fans wanting T'challa recast as there really is no need to if they think about it.

I hate speculating about BP2 anyway. :(

Dr Doom is very much a fear factor villain his lust for Sue Storm deflates much of his threat level. He has been out smarter by Reed so many times and had his proverbial kicked by The Kingpin in the comics recently.

titan18 wrote: »
    With Fantastic 4 comes Doctor Doom, who's one of the better Marvel villains, and is someone you can really build up to as a Thanos level multi phase villain.

I can see big things for Doom. He'll be causing mayhem on the ground but once a cosmic level threat comes he'll do what he has to make sure he's still the biggest dog on earth, which would mean he'd be willing to side with the heroes.

Potentially the role of a lifetime for any actor lucky enough to be cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Dr Doom is very much a fear factor villain his lust for Sue Storm deflates much of his threat level. He has been out smarter by Reed so many times and had his proverbial kicked by The Kingpin in the comics recently.

I dunno. He's a genius in the same vein as Stark and Richards, is a powerful sorcerer, his armour means he can fight toe to toe with Hulk and spiderman and as head of Latveria, you can do some political/military stuff and he's probably the best known Marvel film other than Magneto.

You could also probably do a solo film of him to build him and Latveria up which is harder to do with some other villains.

I wonder will Trevor appear in Shang-Chi

I wonder will Trevor appear in Shang-Chi

Quick offing maybe.

Shang Chi is an interesting one. Allegedly a mortal kombat type flick which would suggest they need to establish the character as an elite fighter, better than Cap even.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Didn't one of the films have an easter egg of a newspaper clipping or news report about a team of astronauts going missing?

I'm sure they have everything planned out. Maybe they'll start with a standalone X-Men film or 2 before merging them.

• Advertisement

I can see big things for Doom. He'll be causing mayhem on the ground but once a cosmic level threat comes he'll do what he has to make sure he's still the biggest dog on earth, which would mean he'd be willing to side with the heroes.

Potentially the role of a lifetime for any actor lucky enough to be cast.

Yeah put some respect on Doctor Doom there Bandit :D

The thing with Doom is he's an omni villain. He's suited virtually every possible idea you can have for a villain. He's been like Magneto, entirely sympathetic, and prone to being a good guy. He's been like Red Skull, a despicable facist totalitarian. He's been street level and fought Luke Cage. He's been the sorcerer supreme! No one interpretation of him is really the definitive Doom. He's ruled the universe multiple times like Thanos and also lost to Squirrel Girl. That's Doom.

I think he'd be better served as a wild card. A bit like Loki, but a bigger deal, like you know when Doom turns up something massive is happening, but it's a 50/50 whether he's going to help or hinder the protagonists.

You have to think, with Kang who is always somehow related closely to Doom, showing up in Ant-Man, and A FF film coming, he really has to be on his way.

It's a lot of fun wondering where the plot lines are going like now. As mentioned previously, and especially considering how amazing their current run in the comics are right now, you'd have to think focusing on the world of mutants primarily while you rebuild the Avengers would be a great idea. Aiming to a phase 5-ey climax with Wanda vs the Phoenix and A v X.

With Kang and multiverses in the mix, there's always a chance to bring the original Avengers back in some capacity, even if they're dead, too. This is the only way I can see a movie reaching the fever pitch of Endgame: and only if the X-Men hit.

To me, everything is pointing towards the multiverse being the source of mutation in the MCU, but the fun thing about this universe is Feige knows that and he is prone to misdirects for fanboys (Infinity War ends at the start of Infinity Gauntlet, not actually covering it at all, for example).

The idea of the first mutant being Rogue and appearing in Cap Marvel 2 is both very exciting and a little worrying. It'd be a lovely tribute to Claremont, the writer who recreated the X-Men into the monster we all know: It's not that widely remembered that he wrote the Danvers Ms. Marvel book and Mystique, Destiny, and Rogue were the primary villains there. Lest we forget, Destiny has recently been established as a character who can see multiple universes.

Also, as one of the first gay couples in the 616, who had to spend an eternity in an editorial mandated closet, it'd be an amazing thing for them to be an out family in the MCU. Mystique only got to refer to Destiny as her wife this year :o

The whole "Rogue depowers Carol Danvers" arc was a way for him to bring these characters he loved into his current book- X-Men- as Ms M was cancelled.

Danvers has a close, intertwined relationship with the X-Men, being good buds with Wolverine for one, and she lives in the mansion for several years of comic time recovering from Rogue's attack. There's also been a lot of recent, interesting work on the complex relationship between Rogue and Danvers, where Danvers wants to hate her but can't deny the overwhelming amount of good she's done since their incident.

Also you clearly have young Avengers/ Champions in the works here...

Advertisement