Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not paid for training

Options
  • 04-04-2016 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi

I started a new job recently and was only told on the 1st day that I wnt be paid for the 10 days of training. This was never mentioned when I applied for the job, in the interview or in my contract.

Is this legal, can employers decide not to pay you for mandatory training needed for the job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Blahtoblah wrote: »
    Hi

I started a new job recently and was only told on the 1st day that I wnt be paid for the 10 days of training. This was never mentioned when I applied for the job, in the interview or in my contract.

Is this legal, can employers decide not to pay you for mandatory training needed for the job?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Blahtoblah wrote: »
    Hi

No. Name and Shame with the Workplace Relations

https://www.workplacerelations.ie/en/Complaints_Disputes/Inspections/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Does your contract begin before or after the training period?

Just a thought.

Could an employer potentially get away with this if the training was scheduled before the start date on a contract and if the contract stipulated that the job offer was contingent on the training having been conducted before starting "work". A bit like a construction company insisting that you do a safe-pass course on your time/cost before coming on site.?

But if it is not in your contract it is likely not right.

On the other hand, if you are replaceable, it might be the cost of getting in the door, right or wrong. Stand up for your rights, but careful, if you really need the job. The sort of employer that does this is probably the type to just goa an find someone that will do the training for free :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Could an employer potentially get away with this if the training was scheduled before the start date on a contract and if the contract stipulated that the job offer was contingent on the training having been conducted before starting "work". A bit like a construction company insisting that you do a safe-pass course on your time/cost before coming on site.?

(

they could but they would still be breaking the law.

safe pass is a qualification/ requirement of the role not a training course.

in that case all teachers would be asking to be paid for their arts degree or year in Mary I upskilling.

Report them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Blahtoblah

Update on this

I am now being paid for the training period.

Thanks for the input

• Advertisement
Advertisement