Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Neilstown like?

Options
  • 04-04-2016 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Happy Monday folks,

How are ye keeping on this fine day? I'm currently checking out property to buy in the Clondalkin area. What are your impressions of Neilstown as a place to live?

Thanks for your opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Didn't have a great reputation but no idea these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

It wouldn't exactly be the nicest of places. It might be OK if you're buying to let, but I certainly wouldn't live there myself. Also, Finches pub is among the capital's dodgiest places to drink.

If I'm checking out a potential area to live, I usually try a Google search like "neilstown" "defendant" or "neilstown" "Gardaí" and see what kind of results show up.

It also made the cut in the Independent for a short list of spots plagued by organised crime and general scumbaggery:
    http://www.independent.ie/news/irelands-estates-from-hell-30765834.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

It's probably one of the biggest dives in Ireland. Avoid if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Best viewed from a helicopter gunship IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'm from Neilstown. Don't buy there and don't live there if you have any other options. There's good and bad there of course - some of the greatest community workers you'll ever meet and plenty of great families too. But its reputation as a socioeconomic black hole plagued with antisocial behaviour and serious crime is well deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Google image or youtube search it. Gives you a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

i'm from the area.....avoid like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Looks like it's a Níl for Neilstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Even Garda dogs go into the area in pairs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

One of the roughest parts of south Dublin. If you see a dog with a tail its a tourist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Usually at least one person defends an area on boards. Says it all about Neilstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I lived very close to Neilstown for a number of years and passed through it often enough.
    Its a reminder of the really bad housing planning attitude of years gone by.
    Acres and acres of houses on the outskirts of Dublin with little to no amenities and forgotton by society in general. A breeding ground of trouble for the disenfranchised youth with absolutely nothing to do and little or no job prospects.
    Drugs, Robbery, Assaults, Joy Riding and Guns with the odd Murder would be the norm, so much so that the Garda helicopter spends most of its time over Neilstown and the surrounding area.

Yes, the odd murder cannot be ignored. If you include the length of the Neilstown Road and the housing estates surrounding it (so Neilstown, Rowlagh, Quarryvale rather than just strictly Neilstown - but still a very small area) then off the top of my head I can think of six murders and two shootings resulting in serious permanent injury in the past 8/9 years alone. If you were to stretch it slightly to include Balgaddy a short walk away you could add in another two murders.

Honestly, avoid at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

I think a lot of these replys are a bit harsh been living in the area a long time and never had a problem.
    These days don't think you can say any part of Dublin is safe.

And for finches one of the best pubs around great beer no slop like some places great music and the food on Sunday is ok..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

You can always judge an area by the inability to drive a car onto greenspace. It it has oversized curbs, you know they have a problem with joyriding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

Don't worry, local TD Gino Kenny got a seat in the dail, he'll surely fix everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

wush06 wrote: »
    I think a lot of these replys are a bit harsh been living in the area a long time and never had a problem.
    These days don't think you can say any part of Dublin is safe.

And for finches one of the best pubs around great beer no slop like some places great music and the food on Sunday is ok..

wow :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

wush06 wrote: »

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

One of my assessment factors for rating an area recently is that if it's a 3 bed house (semi-d/terraced) etc and is featured on Daft or myhome.ie for under 150K in Dublin then the area is considered fairly dodgy. The usual suspect anti social corporation home dominance neighbourhoods keep cropping up in the returned results. It's just an unfortunate fact I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

It's rife with anti-social problems, steer clear. Those that say "it's grand" were likely born and raised there and so the local scum are happy to ignore them and focus their terror efforts on the blow ins...

Another good use of Google:

Type in "Neilstown Dublin" ,then pause and wait for the next word to appear, which is usually the most commonly associated word people Google search. In this example I got:

Joyriders.

• Advertisement

As I said, the area is dodgy with lots of problems and I recommend to avoid if possible, but I have to say that Finches really isn't anything like people seem to think it is. It's certainly not a place most would choose for a relaxing drink in a pleasant atmosphere, but people's idea of it as some sort of violent hellhole you'd be lucky to walk out of alive is way off. It's grand really, just depressingly dingy. It's definitely nowhere up the list of dodgy or dangerous pubs. It's not the local pub of choice for that sort at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

No word from the OP...wonder did he/she go up to have a look around and will never be seen again on boards....RIP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Don't worry, local TD Gino Kenny got a seat in the dail, he'll surely fix everything
    He looked like he walked into the Dail after sleeping on the street.
    I'm all for politicians dressing down and being men of the people in the sense that they don't have to be suited the tie but some of them can take the p**s.

He made Wallace look well dressed.

I'm sure with Gino Kenny in the Dail and Kenny Egan in the Council the area will be well represented.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

lived there yrs ago ,my ex inlaws owned a house in the private area bit ,they used to drive to church one sunday they parked in the church grounds beside the pub and the priest announced halfway through sermon that a car was been robbed turns out it was there car ,another time there daughter was visiting from england she was driving a company car one morning she comes out her alloys are gone from car but in fairness the guys who robbed then put 4 different wheels on car must have taken then hours to change all the wheels :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Jesus I l've lived in Dublin all my life and never been to Neilstown, it must be bad judging by the comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

sandra06 wrote: »
    one morning she comes out her alloys are gone from car but in fairness the guys who robbed then put 4 different wheels on car must have taken then hours to change all the wheels :p

One trolly jack and a cordless pneumatic drill will have all four wheels changed in under 30 mins, even allowing for security nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭Quandary

I recently spent almost 3 years working very very close to Neilstown and it can be a fairly intimidating place to walk through. Never had any seriously bad experience personally speaking apart from scumbags shouting a bit of abuse, but most of the people I worked with had little or no nice things to say about the place. The place seems to get destroyed from time to time with litter scattered everywhere which doesn't help. Antisocial behaviour is common and there were often young kids driving up on footpaths with mini scrambler motorbikes.

The noise of kids ripping around on those bikes along with constant noise from Garda helicopters would be enough to put me off living there.

I finished my work there last year though so maybe the place has improved a bit since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

K.Flyer wrote: »
    One trolly jack and a cordless pneumatic drill will have all four wheels changed in under 30 mins, even allowing for security nuts.
    I'm sure they'd give the F1 pit-stop mechanics a run for their money!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Live near it and my brother lives in it.... He gets no trouble but we both are regular gym goers and over 6ft though lol

Honestly though, it's a kip.

Advertisement