Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Neilstown like?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Live in Neilstown think all the previous replies are about somewhere else?

Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

dreamers75 wrote: »

I know it was a few years ago, but this might jog your memory... :pac:

Your Opening Post Titled "Neilstown Tonight"
    Crazy **** there/still tonight, what started as an innocent petrol bombing of a police patrol car, escalated into a 2 full scale riots.
    some lad who threw something at a police car was arrested by ehh all of clondalkins garda, pretty sure they where all there. As his lovely mother screamed abuse at the garda for aressting her godlike son. After that it was quite calm but 2 garda vans came around on patrol after that and the 50 or so youths gathered tried to win vs the vans, obviously dont understand HP and AP 
    Quiet now but im sure the lads in collinstown park are retarded enought to try fight the van thats facing them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

It's been a hellhole for years. I have relatives who worked out that direction for a summer job in university 30 odd years ago and they had no good thing to say about the place, it was extremely violent in their opinion. An old acquaintance of mine is from there and he says he was glad he got out, managed to get himself a good job and leave the area for good.

This coupled with the daily overflights of the Garda helicopter should give you a general idea. I always see the Armed Support Unit jeeps there when I go shopping in Liffey Valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

dreamers75 wrote: »

Ah, there all angles.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I live in right beside Neilstown, its a kip but its not as big of a hellhole as people here are making out to be!

You don't walk down the road fearing for your life or anything, but you do run the risk of meeting a few horses or 'youths' on scrambler bikes. There are loads of areas like it all over Dublin.

There are definitely nicer places to live though OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

K.Flyer wrote: »

:D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

In 40 years of living in and around Neilstown I've seen the Garda helicopter about 5 times. The lads saying it's over head on a daily basis are on a wind up. Never had an ounce of trouble in the place but there has been plenty of trouble over the years, no mistake.

Neilstown itself was really bad in the 80s though what's often missed is that it's just one estate in a much larger area and the whole place always gets labelled as Neilstown when there's trouble. Finches for example is on the Neilstown Road but not in Neilstown housing estate. Harelawn, St Marks, Liscarne, Rowlagh, Greenfort, Shancastle, Wheatfield are all estates in the area which are far worse then the actual Neilstown Estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

K.Flyer wrote: »

Better than Tv, that was excellent entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

superg wrote: »
    In 40 years of living in and around Neilstown I've seen the Garda helicopter about 5 times. The lads saying it's over head on a daily basis are on a wind up. Never had an ounce of trouble in the place but there has been plenty of trouble over the years, no mistake.

Neilstown itself was really bad in the 80s though what's often missed is that it's just one estate in a much larger area and the whole place always gets labelled as Neilstown when there's trouble. Finches for example is on the Neilstown Road but not in Neilstown housing estate. Harelawn, St Marks, Liscarne, Rowlagh, Greenfort, Shancastle, Wheatfield are all estates in the area which are far worse then the actual Neilstown Estate.
    You must have very bad hearing then. I sometimes hear it 5 times a night. Seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Just because the helicopter is over head does not mean that that's the area its looking at, If the helicopter was up over neilstown road they could easily be looking at incidents in upper Ballyfermot around the prison, or on up the other way to balgaddy.They don't want to be to obvious in there investigations.Also with N7 and m50 very close by they could also be watching that, Criminals are known to be on the lookout for air support from garda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I remember the army being called in to restore law and order after the gardai lost control one Halloween night in the late 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 7 burner

I live in the Neilstown area (3 years). I'm not originally from the area but house prices brought me here. Whilst I live in a quiet private housing estate, unfortunately, the surrounding areas of Neilstown, Rowagh, St Marks and Morrefield bring problems. This is brought about by a small majority of residents who are anti social, not civic minded, criminally minded and just horrible persons. This includes their children who grow up to be obnoxious kids with criminal tendencies.

Here are some of my observations:
    Persons permitting dog fowling,
    Fly tipping
    Driving cars in a dangerous manner
    Scrambler motorbikes riden on public places causing a nuisance
    Male teenagers in groups with aggressive and anti social behaviour, rare but nonetheless takes one bad experience to cause harm
    Residents parking uninsured and untaxed cars in the street and abandoning these
    Littering
    Not keeping grass verges tidy
    Shootings/murders- 4 of these since I moved to the area.
    Poor air quality during haloween from bonfires
    Children with anti social characteristics e.g. spitting, swearing, loitering.
    No nice amenities like coffee shops or cafe etc

On the positive, it's a great location for commuting (near N4,N7 and M50), great bus services and near city centre. Liffey Valley and Clondalkin Village are near by.

The above is not limited to council estates neither and private housing estates are not always a better option. My re-call sounds awful. However, I get on with my life and the above dynamic does not impact on me overly negatively everyday/every minute, but nontheless can sometimes make for an unomfortable experience.

Despite past research and reports identifying the above areas as disadvantaged, local and national government bodies have not learned from their mistakes and do little to improve the situation. Even Collinstown Park which is a public park owned by SDCC is not listed as a park on the Council's website, thus illustrating its lack of recognition for the area.

What's needed is a council and police service with initiative and vision. This should include designing out the bad planning of the past and re plan and re-develop i.e. build a library and Garda Station near Finches pub and build a central hub (village like) that will bring pride to area. Enforce dog fowling and littering and undertake a stronger police presence.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Neilstown is a rough area. Simple as that. No amount of attempted defense of the area will change that fact.

Advertisement