If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cable question

Options
  • 04-04-2016 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi,

I bought a bought a set of Wharfdale DX1 HCP awhile ago for an existing amp i had which is a Pioneer VSX-922.
    I didnt have any cables for them so I purchased this 

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/hi-fi-speaker-cable-20m-drum-white-n17ap

While I'm quite happy with the sound in movies and tv over all I'm not getting as good of a sound from playing just music, while its not bad it doesn't sound as vibrant or full as i was hoping for. I have been using FLAC files so the source isn't the issue and i have been using the amp in stereo and pure direct mode. 

the cables I got in the link above were at the cheaper end might they be affecting my audio experience or would you expect the cable to be sufficient for such a setup.

Thanks
    Oisin   

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

menuisier wrote: »
    Hi,

I bought a bought a set of Wharfdale DX1 HCP awhile ago for an existing amp i had which is a Pioneer VSX-922.
    I didnt have any cables for them so I purchased this 

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/hi-fi-speaker-cable-20m-drum-white-n17ap

While I'm quite happy with the sound in movies and tv over all I'm not getting as good of a sound from playing just music, while its not bad it doesn't sound as vibrant or full as i was hoping for. I have been using FLAC files so the source isn't the issue and i have been using the amp in stereo and pure direct mode. 

the cables I got in the link above were at the cheaper end might they be affecting my audio experience or would you expect the cable to be sufficient for such a setup.

Thanks
    Oisin   

Hi Menuisier.

Looking a the link the cable looks like a type of bell wire type cable.
    I've no idea as to the quality of it unfortunately.

It could also be that the pioneer handles movies better than it does stereo. Have you tried running in multi channel stereo to see if that gives a more fuller sound. Although pure direct is designed to give you the sound that the tune was recorded in.
    What way are you connecting the to VSX922 for music? Phono, 3.5mm etc.... It could be possible the cable use for this could be inferior.
    Also I take it the source for the movies is Blu Ray/ HDMI. Which in turn a much better sound quality over stereo phono.

There is a difference in terms of quality between cables.

Our cable starts at 99p per meter which would work out cheaper for 20m but still be a better cable than the one purchased from Maplins.
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-900187-symphony-100.aspx

Hope this helps a little.

Any questions please let me know.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

hmmm that Maplin cable looks like 79 strand, which not brill, should be okay - I'm guessing but I'd say the issue may lie elsewhere - again as Kenny has said what interconnects are you using?

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.