Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIFI repeater query

Options
  • 04-04-2016 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Evening all!
    I have a wifi repeater upstairs to get the signal into the rooms at the far side of the house. Just wondering if I should have a different name on it or the same name as the parent wifi? Does it make much of a difference?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Repeater would not work unless it had the same settings. Are you sure it's actually a repeater, or is it just another wifi router connected to main network via cable?

If it's in repeater mode then know that this is rubbish and halves wifi bandwidth - better to not use in repeater mode at all. Just connect a second wifi hotspot via cable, and set it to use same SSID/security etc.

1. Repeater
    wifi1 <
    wifi connection
    > wifi2

2. Ethernet
    wifi1 <
    ethernet cable
    > wifi2

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

srsly78 wrote: »
    Repeater would not work unless it had the same settings. Are you sure it's actually a repeater, or is it just another wifi router connected to main network via cable?

If it's in repeater mode then know that this is rubbish and halves wifi bandwidth - better to not use in repeater mode at all. Just connect a second wifi hotspot via cable, and set it to use same SSID/security etc.

1. Repeater
    wifi1 <
    wifi connection
    > wifi2

2. Ethernet
    wifi1 <
    ethernet cable
    > wifi2

Thanks for your help. Only option is to use it as a repeater, can't connect it via cable as no cable where I need it upstairs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

In that case look into powerline adapters. Just be aware that everything is inferior to ethernet cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

srsly78 wrote: »
    In that case look into powerline adapters. Just be aware that everything is inferior to ethernet cable.

Why? That's not what he asked!?

OP, if you want one seamless wireless network then but the SSID, encryption type and password the same as the main router.

There is absolutely no need to buy additional equipment for what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

On a related....ish matter. My internet access is with Three using a Huawei E5220. However, the range the WiFi covers in the house is quite bad. I have an old Belkin Wireless G Plus MIMO router (model F5D9230-4) - would it be possible to set this up as a WiFi extender and if so, how? I've been playing about with it but can't figure out if it's possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

davo2001 wrote: »
    Why? That's not what he asked!?

OP, if you want one seamless wireless network then but the SSID, encryption type and password the same as the main router.

There is absolutely no need to buy additional equipment for what you need.

Adding a wireless repeater to your network actually halves the speed of your network. Changing it to an access point by connecting it using Ethernet or homeplugs gives you back full speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Adding a wireless repeater to your network actually halves the speed of your network. Changing it to an access point by connecting it using Ethernet or homeplugs gives you back full speed.

True, but half of 200mb connection is pretty fantastic ;) I speculate, we don't know the op's connection speed.

From the op it sounds like he/she has the repeater already and just wants to know how to set it up correctly.

Op, if halving your connection speed is an issue, then you may to consider an alternative option. What is your speed and what is the purpose of having Internet upstairs? (browsing, working via vpn, gaming. Etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

True, but half of 200mb connection is pretty fantastic ;) I speculate, we don't know the op's connection speed.

On the other hand, if it's wireless g, half of 28mbit throughput shared among all your devices is pretty pathetic. My point being repeaters are never worth it IMO, the whole world is looking for faster speeds when adding a repeater halves it

Advertisement