Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can I insure a NI reg in south Ireland?

Options
  • 04-04-2016 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I buying a car with a northern irish reg, i am wondering if i will be able to swap my insurance from my car over to the car right away. I will put the car through VRT, but I had a friend recently putting his car through VRT, he said that there is a waiting list and he has to wait to put it through. Im currently insured with munster group and i want to know will i be able to swap the car over onto my insurance right away as i need to drive the car right away.

Do you think i will be able to do this or will i have to waiting until i get my southern irish reg?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most insurance companies here will temporarily cover you on a NI/UK reg car until you change it over to Irish reg plates. Once you have it VRT'd and put an Irish reg on it then notify your insurance company of the new Irish registration. If you don't notify them within 30 days then they obliged to inform Revenue afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fiachrag

Thanks a mil bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Yes - I did this last year. Advised of the NI reg - received a disk to display with that reg, then contacted them after the VRT with the new reg and they sent out another disk with that on.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭__Robinhood__

In the same position myself at the moment.

FBD will insure me .....but at a €380 extra fee which I think is very harsh.
    The same car on Irish plates for some reason comes up 380 less on their system - Ill try the munster group!

Advertisement