Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pebble Yard, 3/4 crush + fabric?

Options
  • 04-04-2016 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

I have a small grass area for a garden with a area of 150 sq feet and I want to convert it to a pebble garden so its low maintenance and the only concern I have is weeds, I know there will be some weeds but my question is.

Would putting down a 100mm compacted crush base than lined with weed fabric topped with pebbles help to even further reduce unwanted weeds?

Reason I ask is because I think putting the fabric on top of the compacted crush might be better than straight onto the mud layer after taking the top soil off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

i'm no expert but once upon a time i put down a lot of fabric and put gravel on top on a very large border. i put the fabric ( i actually used mypex which is a heavy duty plastic membrane) i put it straight onto the soil and i never had a problem with weeds growing through it, any weeds that did grow grew on top of it.

i would imagine that if you put the membrane on top of stone then there is a chance that sharp edges on the stones could puncture the membrane and allow weeds to grow through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Put a blinding layer of sand on top of the stones, then the fabric.

Advertisement