Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Neighbour's" dog barking.

• 05-04-2016 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭

It seems my neighbour (I use this word very loosely, as house has been vacant for over a year), in their infinite wisdom have randomly decided to leave a black lab in the back garden of the property. Unfortunately the dog hasn't stopped barking since he was left there, which was sometime between 7-8pm. It's now after 12am.
    I don't know the homeowner's name, nor how to contact them. Was very tempted to let the dog out. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,597 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Liamario wrote: »
    It seems my neighbour (I use this word very loosely, as house has been vacant for over a year), in their infinite wisdom have randomly decided to leave a black lab in the back garden of the property. Unfortunately the dog hasn't stopped barking since he was left there, which was sometime between 7-8pm. It's now after 12am.
    I don't know the homeowner's name, nor how to contact them. Was very tempted to let the dog out. Any advice?

When you say let it out.....

Do you mean take it in? I hope so....

Any chance you could do that? The poor dog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Liamario

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    When you say let it out.....

Do you mean take it in? I hope so....

Any chance you could do that? The poor dog!

Take it in? I love dogs, but I'm not in a position to do that. I meant let it roam the mean streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,597 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Take it in? I love dogs, but I'm not in a position to do that. I meant let it roam the mean streets.
    Please don't do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

You love dogs but you'd let it loose ?
    I love dogs and I think that would be really bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

They may have a good reason for putting it there for the night. No other option and didn't want it to roam the Streets.

• Advertisement

I was tempted to let it roam, but I thought better of it. To be fair, leaving locked in a back garden that's foreign to the dog doesn't seem to be particularly kind on the animal.
    There's unlikely a good reason to leave the dog in the back garden of an empty house to be fair. They certainly didn't give two ****s about those who actually live here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Leave a note for the house owner.

Leave a note for the house owner.

This is the problem, they're never there. The house is empty all year round. In any event, it appears the dog is gone. I'm starting to suspect that the dog climbed in but wasn't able to get back out. The dog appears to be gone from the garden now and not before having a root around my bin. Hopefully he was just trapped and managed to find his way home.

Update on this. Neighbours have left the dog in the garden all weekend and he's still there tonight. We have seen nobody go to the dog. Contacted ISPCA, but haven't heard anything from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Update on this. Neighbours have left the dog in the garden all weekend and he's still their tonight. We have seen nobody go to the dog. Contacted ISPCA, but haven't heard anything from them.

I think you should probably give him some water & something to eat, & keep at the ISPCE about it, or try other channels. Poor dog :(

• Advertisement

How sure are you that there is nobody there?
    Could there be a disabled person living in the house?

Poor dog. I brought mine (young, fit and healthy) for a walk today and she was parched within the first 30 minutes. Had to bring her to the water trough.

Myrddin wrote: »
    I think you should probably give him some water & something to eat, & keep at the ISPCE about it, or try other channels. Poor dog :(

Other channels being?
    I feel reluctant to give the dog food for the simple reason that they'll be less willing to help him. I'm also not willing to babysit someone else's dog. I know it sounds cruel, but I feel like if I help, the 'owners' will get away with it.

Allyall wrote: »
    How sure are you that there is nobody there?
    Could there be a disabled person living in the house?

Poor dog. I brought mine (young, fit and healthy) for a walk today and she was parched within the first 30 minutes. Had to bring her to the water trough.

100% sure nobody is living there. People drop in one a week (maybe) to check on the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Other channels being?

Are there residents on the other side, might they have the owners number?
    I feel reluctant to give the dog food for the simple reason that they'll be less willing to help him. I'm also not willing to babysit someone else's dog. I know it sounds cruel, but I feel like if I help, the 'owners' will get away with it.

Whatever about who gets away with what, it's not the dogs fault. Give him some water & something to eat, it's been very warm the last few days & if there's nobody minding him, he'll be starving & really thirsty by now.

Myrddin wrote: »
    Are there residents on the other side, might they have the owners number?

No. Nobody knows who they are. Older estate and the house is vacant for quite some time. Rented when it was being used.

Whatever about who gets away with what, it's not the dogs fault. Give him some water & something to eat, it's been very warm the last few days & if there's nobody minding him, he'll be starving & really thirsty by now.

I totally get what you're saying. My concern is that if I feed/water the dog, it's less likely that someone will come and help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

You won't lose out on getting help for giving the dog a bowl of water and a handful of food. If he's been left without water for this length of time he'll be in a bad way shortly.

The ISPCA will still be able to tell that he's been/being mistreated.

Allyall wrote: »
    The ISPCA will still be able to tell that he's been/being mustreated.

Ok so. Who should I contact outside of the ISPCA to get this dog some help?
    Also, are the ISPCA going to do anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Where is this and why has the dspca or whoever you reported it to not visited? Your reluctance to help a helpless animal survive due to a fear of someone getting away with it is worrying. Think of the dogs health. Let the authorities worry about getting the owner on the hook. Surely be humane and saving a life trumps your concern?

Maybe if you go to the Garda or the local vets and tell them about it, one of them could speed things up a bit.

• Advertisement

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Where is this and why has the dspca or whoever you reported it to not visited? Your reluctance to help a helpless animal survive due to a fear of someone getting away with it is worrying. Think of the dogs health. Let the authorities worry about getting the owner on the hook. Surely be humane and saving a life trumps your concern?

I'm not concerned about the owners. I'm concerned about the dog getting help. I want the ISPCA or whoever to sort this out, or the problem will just repeat. I'm concerned that the full extent of what's going on wont be known.

Also, are the ISPCA going to do anything?

How long ago did you contact them? Did you speak directly to someone? Do they know it's an urgent situation?

I'm not concerned about the owners. I'm concerned about the dog getting help. I want the ISPCA or whoever to sort this out, or the problem will just repeat. I'm concerned that the full extent of what's going on wont be known.

Did you give the dog water and some food or check to see if it has some?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Hottest day of the year and you're seriously not going to give it water???? And you say you love dogs. If you don't help that poor dog you're no better than whoever left him there.

Did you give the dog water and some food or check to see if it has some?

I can't get access to the dog. They've barred him in. I could throw some food over, but not water.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Hottest day of the year and you're seriously not going to give it water???? And you say you love dogs. If you don't help that poor dog you're no better than whoever left him there.

This. Tell me where it is and I'll go and do it!

I can't get access to the dog. They've barred him in. I could throw some food over, but not water.

A ladder works wonders.

I suppose if I don't join the Fight against ISIS, I'm an accomplice in their atrocities.
    If I didn't care about the dog, I'd hardly be here trying to get advice on how to get him out the situation.

You could ring the guards, tell them the ISPCA haven't got back to you. They'll contact the ISPCA for assistance and opinion.

• Advertisement

I suppose if I don't join the Fight against ISIS, I'm an accomplice in their atrocities.
    If I didn't care about the dog, I'd hardly be here trying to get advice on how to get him out the situation.

Ridiculous retort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Your op was early April, has that dog been in there all this time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

By law the dog should be microchipped which would reveal the owner's contact details... The guards are responsible for enforcing microchipping laws so could you maybe call your local station and ask if anyone could come and scan the dog? They'll probably say no but it may help estate the issue - there's nothing to lose in calling them I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

A ladder works wonders.
    Could be classed as trespassing if you go in. Also the dog mightn't be all that friendly if it's distressed. Could you lower a bucket with water in with the help of a long stick?

Your op was early April, has that dog been in there all this time?

No, he escaped the last time during the night and ended up in the pound the next day. i never let him out, before I get accused of that as well. They've been leaving him there intermittently ever since. The owners aren't fit to care for him.

Ghekko wrote: »
    Could be classed as trespassing if you go in. Also the dog mightn't be all that friendly if it's distressed. Could you lower a bucket with water in with the help of a long stick?

Yes but to save a life of a helpless animal?

If the dog is locked in like the op says then it's probably in a pen or something like that. Hardly a full height wall within a garden so getting into the garden should enable a bucket of water to be delivered sucessfully.

• Advertisement

No, he escaped the last time during the night and ended up in the pound the next day. i never let him out, before I get accused of that as well. They've been leaving him there intermittently ever since. The owners aren't fit to care for him.

Deffo a case for the dspca and gardai so.

Ridiculous retort.

Ridiculous to suggest that I'm an animal abuser when I've created this thread to help an animal out. Water and food is great, but the animal needs long term help. Get him out of there, hold someone accountable and hopefully get him rehomed.

Ridiculous to suggest that I'm an animal abuser when I've created this thread to help an animal out. Water and food is great, but the animal needs long term help. Get him out of there, hold someone accountable and hopefully get him rehomed.

Long term help is no good if it's dead from dehydration though.

Can you see the dog now? Is it alive? Is it moving around?

Long term help is no good if it's dead from dehydration though.

Can you see the dog now? Is it alive? Is it moving around?

I can't see the dog unless he looks over my neighbours wall. He's been barking all day/evening. He hasn't barked for about 30-45 minutes.
    I'll try and get food to the dog tomorrow via my neighbour. They may have fed him. It's too late at night to be climbing into people's gardens, if at all.

In any case, I know to feed and water the poor thing, I looking for advice on how to help him. This isn't Dublin BTW. I'll ring local ISPCA in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

There is an animal cruelty helpline which I've found quite good in the past, they were out the next day after getting a call to report a dog who was running free and injured. It might be worth giving them a ring and seeing what they have to say about the situation. I'll PM you the number now

• Advertisement

Is there a <snip> in the area? Do they do call outs?

I'm pretty certain the guards are obliged to help directly or organise assistance in an emergency too.

I got a baguette and soaked it in milk and threw it over. He devoured it. I'll be making a few phone calls in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Even a garden hose pouring water over the wall for an hour would create some water for the dog to lap up. Anything has to be better than nothing. I do feel for you op, hope it is sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Throw in ice cubes if you can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Is there a <snip> in the area? Do they do call outs?

The place you named only rehome dogs, they don't take them in or investigate cruelty cases. They are also only in Dublin. The OP is in mullingar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Ba$tdards.

The place you named only rehome dogs, they don't take them in or investigate cruelty cases. They are also only in Dublin. The OP is in mullingar.

Ok. Why snip the name?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Ok. Why snip the name?

It's in the forum.charter... No naming of individual rescues.
    Folks... The op is coming in for criticism here that I find pretty misplaced. Some posts are way out of line. The op is looking for help. Don't forget that.

With mod hat off... There is something in the legislation about it being acceptable to trespass onto private property in order to supply a suffering animal with food and water... I *think* it may only apply to AGS and dog wardens (I need to look it up to refresh my memory), but op... The dog warden may be able to help to at least bridge a gap to keep the dog fed and watered until a more permanent solution is found.
    The ISPCA also have protocols re animal abandonment, and have a working definition of what abandonment entails, ie once an animal is known to have been abandoned for x days, they will intervene (sorry... Not sure what x is! Some local SPCAs have it shortened to 18 hours). Op, I would hound them via their helpline, telling them this dog has been abandoned for x days, and it appears to be suffering.
    Good luck... Horrible situation

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

• Advertisement
Advertisement