Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Neighbour's" dog barking.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Liamario

Just an update. Contacted dog warden and someone from the Westmeath SPCA this morning. In the middle of these calls, the owners returned to the property and left 5 minutes later. They didn't take the dog with them. I checked on the dog while I was there and he appears to have been given water, can't see beyond that. While I was very tempted to have a word, they were gone before I got a chance. The SPCA appears to have visited the property this afternoon while I wasn't there- they've left some tape on the side gate and the front door.

That was the first time I've seen the owners in 3-4 days.

I don't know what's happening going forward. I imagine the ISPCA is going to wait for the owners to get in contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

If nothing else, the owners now know that the ISPCA have been there. The dog may okay for now, but I'd imagine the ISPCA will give it a proper look over and the neighbours will get the chance to explain their side. Sounds like they may have been using it as a guard dog.

DBB wrote: »

There is definitely a breach in relation to section 14. Dog is definitely left unattended for prolonged periods of time and is certainly not getting any exercise.
    Allyall wrote: »
    If nothing else, the owners now know that the ISPCA have been there. The dog may okay for now, but I'd imagine the ISPCA will give it a proper look over and the neighbours will get the chance to explain their side. Sounds like they may have been using it as a guard dog.
    I don't think so, the house has been vacant for nearly 2 years and the dog being left there is a relatively new thing. That last occupiers of the house were renters who left without finishing paying their rent.

So I just got it in contact with WSPCA this morning about their findings. The dog has food and water there at the moment, but it's worth noting that the barking has stopped since the owners called to the house yesterday. I nor my other half had seen anyone at the house over the weekend. The dog only stopped barking when I gave her food the other night. I say 'her', because apparently she's heavily pregnant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Liamario wrote: »
    I say 'her', because apparently she's heavily pregnant!

Ah god :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Ah ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

God I hope the poor thing doesn't go into labour with no-one there! If a dogs pregnancy feels anything like a human pregnancy, she will be incredibly uncomfortable in this heat!

Keep doing the good job that you are doing OP!

Someone was at the house while I was away. They took the notice off the front door. Still a notice on the side gate though. Dog was still left there and SPCA hasn't been contacted after I told them the notice was removed, they said they'd call again and leave another note. Pretty sure the SPCA van was there about half an hour ago, but it was obscured and my son took the opportunity to piss all over himself at that point. Haven't had a chance to check if another note was left or not.
    Dog is still there as of right now.

I'm reluctant to keep going over there in case I get caught by the owners (even though they're never there).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Someone was at the house while I was away. They took the notice off the front door. Still a notice on the side gate though. Dog was still left there and SPCA hasn't been contacted after I told them the notice was removed, they said they'd call again and leave another note. Pretty sure the SPCA van was there about half an hour ago, but it was obscured and my son took the opportunity to piss all over himself at that point. Haven't had a chance to check if another note was left or not.
    Dog is still there as of right now.

I'm reluctant to keep going over there in case I get caught by the owners (even though they're never there).

How likely are they to become confrontational to you if you explain that you are concerned about the dogs welfare? Surely nobody in their right mind would have issue with that? Mind you, they have left the dog there...

• Advertisement

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    How likely are they to become confrontational to you if you explain that you are concerned about the dogs welfare? Surely nobody in their right mind would have issue with that? Mind you, they have left the dog there...

They're aware that the SPCA has called, I don't imagine they're in the best of humour to talk to someone (who potentially raised the alarm) about their dog being neglected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

To be fair I had a similar problem before they dog was a pest after a few days of it my housemate let dog out. And he Rang the guards saying dog tried to bite him. Dog was put in pound no idea what happened to him.

Have time say I was annoyed when I found out, yeah neighbours were pricks but no need to blame poor dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭john jameson

I had to approach a neighbour about a barking dog only recently I don't personal know the man but I knew he would be reasonable thankfully he moved the dog from the front gate have to say I don't know what I would have done if he told me to mind my own so I feel your pain of a barking dog. I'd keep at rspca if no joy contact the garda and see if they can contact the owner at least to sort this out
    Good luck with your problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭doireannod

I had to approach a neighbour about a barking dog only recently I don't personal know the man but I knew he would be reasonable thankfully he moved the dog from the front gate have to say I don't know what I would have done if he told me to mind my own so I feel your pain of a barking dog. I'd keep at rspca if no joy contact the garda and see if they can contact the owner at least to sort this out
    Good luck with your problem

why is a barking dog such a big problem? The children next door to me have a trampoline and scream and shout and roar all night. It's really annoying when I want to come after work and just relax and have dinner. It's so warm at the minute but I have to keep my windows closed to try to dampen their screams. But I have no intention of calling The ISPCC or telling the guards that one of the children bit me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

doireannod wrote: »
    why is a barking dog such a big problem? The children next door to me have a trampoline and scream and shout and roar all night. It's really annoying when I want to come after work and just relax and have dinner. It's so warm at the minute but I have to keep my windows closed to try to dampen their screams. But I have no intention of calling The ISPCC or telling the guards that one of the children bit me

Kids are out screaming all night? I doubt that! I would much prefer to listen to children enjoying themselves then an unhappy dog barking non stop. I take it you don't have children?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

jcd5971 wrote: »
    To be fair I had a similar problem before they dog was a pest after a few days of it my housemate let dog out. And he Rang the guards saying dog tried to bite him. Dog was put in pound no idea what happened to him.

Have time say I was annoyed when I found out, yeah neighbours were pricks but no need to blame poor dog

If it was put in the pound with a reported biting incident, it would have been killed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Because unlike children some uncared for dogs can bark and bark for hours, sadly loud children can't be put down but barking dogs can, it's very sad that any owner would ignore genuine complaints from a neighbour.

Knine wrote: »
    Kids are out screaming all night? I doubt that! I would much prefer to listen to children enjoying themselves then an unhappy dog barking non stop. I take it you don't have children?

How is the noise of children enjoying themselves different to a dog barking?

No I don't have children yet. And when I do I'll ask them not to scream and shout all night. It's not like they're out running around in a big space. They're about 12 feet away from me in their garden. I think it's rude and inconsiderate anyway. And definitely don't see any difference between dogs and children. Irksome noise is noise pollution regardless of what/who causes it.

I take it you don't have a dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

jcd5971 wrote: »

Seriously thats horrible he|she lied about the poor dog so more than likely ended up being put to sleep. That's just unbelievable can't understand how someone could do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭acequion

No I don't have children yet. And when I do I'll ask them not to scream and shout all night. It's not like they're out running around in a big space. They're about 12 feet away from me in their garden. I think it's rude and inconsiderate anyway. And definitely don't see any difference between dogs and children. Irksome noise is noise pollution regardless of what/who causes it.

Totally agree with you and very much sympathise re the screaming kids. Nobody should have to put up with excessive noise pollution in their home whether it be from screaming kids or barking dogs.The root cause is the same, lack of consideration for others,which is hardly neighbourly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I've screaming kids on the left and a dog that barks at the wind on the right and the kids are nothing compared to the dog. I really don't know what can be done about it. So I just bought a powerful stereo and I'll see if that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

sadie1502 wrote:
    Seriously thats horrible he|she lied about the poor dog so more than likely ended up being put to sleep. That's just unbelievable can't understand how someone could do that.

Yeah like I said it annoyed me greatly when I found out, I mean I was pissed with dog as well dint get me wrong, but I was more inclined to report neighbours for leaving dog tied up in an empty house while they went in holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

It's possible the dog has started barking recently (possibly due to pregnancy) owners have gotten sick of it and putting her in the back garden of their empty house seems like a good move.
    I'd be surprised if they are using her as a guard dog as a pregnant dog wouldn't be much use and as you've said the house has been empty a while and security has never been an issue before. From what I can gather they put her there previously (possibly the last time the barking was getting too much for them?).
    All I can do is make assumptions but it's possible she's carrying some lucrative puppies and they want the pay day without any of the work.

It's a real difficult one because they are never there so it's difficult to talk to a face.
    I think you've gone down the official route now so it probably best to keep that up.

As for feeding the dog that's entirely up to you. It may seem harsh but it's not your obligation to use your resources/time to care for someone else's dog and what happens when/if the dog is moved on to another location?
    It'll be relying on someone else to care for it. It's a rock and hard place.

The owners showed up last night at about 11pm and made a lot of noise doing so. They found the new note left on the door and they made their feelings known to all the surrounding houses. They still didn't take the dog away.
    SPCA's hands are tied because the dog is fed and watered. This certainly wasn't the case over the weekend. It's also exactly as I feared. While the dog is getting fed now, she wasn't over the weekend and as the owners haven't made contact with the SPCA, there's little they can do. It's very frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

It's a disgrace as usual. The new welfare bill has done nothing for situations like this. Under the old bill it was food water shelter, thats all thats required. Under the new bill it still seems to be food water shelter, thats all thats required. Its farcical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

The owners showed up last night at about 11pm and made a lot of noise doing so. They found the new note left on the door and they made their feelings known to all the surrounding houses. They still didn't take the dog away.
    SPCA's hands are tied because the dog is fed and watered. This certainly wasn't the case over the weekend. It's also exactly as I feared. While the dog is getting fed now, she wasn't over the weekend and as the owners haven't made contact with the SPCA, there's little they can do. It's very frustrating.

So they committed a public order offence?
    These people clearly won't be reasoned with. For you own safety it's best to maintain you anonymity and keep discussing your dealings with SPCA with anyone to a bare minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Aha - Expert Parents who don't have children.......... what exactly is your definition of all night?

Oh I have 5 dogs. I make sure they don't disturb the neighbours or anyone else because I am a responsible owner.

Knine wrote: »
    Aha - Expert Parents who don't have children.......... what exactly is your definition of all night?

Oh I have 5 dogs. I make sure they don't disturb the neighbours or anyone else because I am a responsible owner.

All night: from when I get home to when I go to sleep.

I wish my neighbours were as responsible as you are with your dogs when it comes to their children. They don't make sure that they aren't disturbing the peace. There's a difference between playing, laughing and having fun and incessant screaming and shouting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭volchitsa

It's possible the dog has started barking recently (possibly due to pregnancy) owners have gotten sick of it and putting her in the back garden of their empty house seems like a good move.

So, deliberately leaving her somewhere where she will be far more of an annoyance to the neighbours because they can't possibly imagine she will bark less in those circumstances than she she is with them. How horrible can people be? Poor dog, who must be terribly distressed, and I feel for the neighbours.

As for the comments about children being as bad, well yes they can but so what?
    One annoyance doesn't cancel out the other.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

ISPCA are involved now, they're apparently meeting the owner today or tomorrow. Beyond that, I don't know what's going on. They've certainly been around the property a lot more since they received the notices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Well done Liamario for kicking up on behalf of the dog. Some people are assh*les, with no consideration for the neighbours and absolutely no empathy to the dog.

• Advertisement

11pm and I'm hearing a puppy crying. I hope it's not from where I think it is.

11pm and I'm hearing a puppy crying. I hope it's not from where I think it is.

They wouldn't be able to cry yet, would they? Loud enough for you to hear?

Allyall wrote: »
    They wouldn't be able to cry yet, would they? Loud enough for you to hear?

Definitely a very young dog.

Hopefully she has enough food to be able to feed the pups. :(
    Amongst other things.

Another call to the ISPCA?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

FFS. Would you ring the guards and tell them what is going on. Or go on FB and search for Mullingar rescues. There are a few in the area. If you PM me a location I will go there myself. I don't mind being arrested for a good cause.

And throw a few more of those baguettes in milk over the wall. If there are puppies that dog needs food.

percy212 wrote: »
    And throw a few more of those baguettes in milk over the wall. If there are puppies that dog needs food.

ISPCA have been involved. I contacted the WSPCA this morning. There has been people around since ISPCA was involved, it's just the bare minimum is being done for the dog. Why anyone would want to keep a dog if it's going to live in the garden of a vacant house is beyond my understanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

ISPCA have been involved. I contacted the WSPCA this morning. There has been people around since ISPCA was involved, it's just the bare minimum is being done for the dog. Why anyone would want to keep a dog if it's going to live in the garden of a vacant house is beyond my understanding.

fair play to you OP for being soo caring.. the poor dog.. what a horrible life she has :confused:

They do it for profit - breeding the dog a couple of quid to for the family holiday in costa de hell hole. its money OP

Had a peak into the garden. Saw the dog, but not the puppies. Though the pup(s) are definitely there to be heard. Garden becoming overgrown too.
    What a wonderful, animal-loving country we have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:(:(:( Liamario I misjudged you in the early days of this thread - apologies. What a crappy thing to have to witness and have your hands tied.

Where is this exactly. I live in the area.

You could give them some extra food if you think they don't have enough.
    Had a peak into the garden. Saw the dog, but not the puppies. Though the pup(s) are definitely there to be heard. Garden becoming overgrown too.
    What a wonderful, animal-loving country we have.

I'd rather not say. Authorities are involved in any case.

The owners were there yesterday afternoon. Like I said, the dog is getting the bare minimum of care. I'm sure she has enough food, but she's stuck in the garden all day.

Its disgraceful. Good on you for keeping an eye on them and making appropriate calls. Keep the pressure on if you can. As I said I am local and I don't mind making a scene. Let me know if you need help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

The owners were there yesterday afternoon. Like I said, the dog is getting the bare minimum of care. I'm sure she has enough food, but she's stuck in the garden all day.

OK- is the dog microchipped and registered? as that's the law.the ISPCA MUST check this as there a hefty fines for non compliance on that.
    Would be my first question really

http://www.thejournal.ie/dog-microchipping-will-be-the-law-2685754-Mar2016/

• Advertisement

I have to wonder why they are keeping the dog at all. Do they intend to try to sell the puppies. They sound like a pack of knackers.

The owner was there about 30 mins. ago. He came on his bike. He was there for quite a while. Clearly the laws on animal ownership are very ****. ISPCA is aware of this situation and were at the house, but their hands are tied as the rules are too loose and open to interpretation.

He wasn't there that long if he came and went within a half hour. Its really unacceptable.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I have to wonder why they are keeping the dog at all. Do they intend to try to sell the puppies. They sound like a pack of knackers.

Infraction given.Dont post in this thread again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Doireannod Believe it but the noise from a barking dog affects the autonomic and endocrine systems of the body causing the body to tense the more the dog barks the more tense one becomes. The more often the dog barks the less time the body had to recover. Try living next to do a dog that barks all the time and when it stops others take up the noise. I can tell you from personal experience that I have been close to tears and wished everything would just end. Anyone who thinks its ok to leave their dog barking should never own one! If you dont believe my try reading this http://barkingdogs.net/exposure.shtml

OP If the house is for rent you could try contacting the Residents Tenancy board http://www.rtb.ie/contact-us .

The ISPCA has a compaints procedure http://www.ispca.ie/ispca-complaints-procedure/ might be an idea to follow it up by writing to the chairman. Awfull that people have to go through all this to report a animal but all they have to live next to it and see little or nothing done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement