Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mullaghcleevaun to Tonelagee mudfest

Options
  • 05-04-2016 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Would anyone agree that the walk from Mullaghcleevaun to Tonelagee via Barnacullian and Stoney top is one of the most energy sapping and deceptive walks in Wicklow? Deceptive in the sense that it looks quite short at first but is quite a hike in reality.

I did it last week as part of a much bigger rout and although I had been there before and knew what to expect it really sucked the energy. Mud and peat hags! I’m still having nightmares.:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

Its best to stay as far over to the side (east) as possible - that way you can avoid a lot of the worst of the peat and get better views.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What Sophie said ... When you come off of Mullaghcleevaun you hit a small stream before you hit the Barnacullian ridge proper. Instead of just ploughing (literally!) on, follow the stream downstream almost to edge of the waterfall then climb up the bank to your right across a broken down fence and follow the edge of the ridge all the way along almost to the end, until you can see green rather than just brown mud to your right. Then head up to your right to the col between the end of the ridge and Stony Top. The bit before you pick up the path, such as it is, up Stony Top is also a bit boggy but nowhere as bad as the Barnacullian Ridge itself.

By far the squelchiest of all mudfests is to be enjoyed just before you get to Conavalla coming from Lough Firrib though. I've seen people disappear almost up to their waists in there, scary stuff! I avoid it like the plague, especially if I'm on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I did it last week as part of a much bigger rout

What was your bigger route? I did Sally Gap to Wicklow Gap over the ridge last year and I agree the bit between Mullaghcleevaun and Stony Top was a long and tough walk, even if you take the best possible route. This walk is the middle bit of the 53 km "Lug Walk" that I hope to do one day. Alun there (and some other posters here) has done it, maybe even more than once?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭blackvalley

unkel wrote: »
    What was your bigger route?

It's part of a two day 90 kilometre hike starting and finishing in Blessington with an overnight in Glenmalure lodge .
    Park in Blessington and walk over the bridge heading for Lackan . After about five k take a narrow road on the left ( a dead end ) which leads to a forest entrance . Follow the trail trail from the entrance up to the Lugnagun ridge leading to Sorrell hill . Then it's , Black hill , Mullaghcleevaun , Barnacullian , Stoney top , Tonelagee , Wicklow gap , Turlough hill , directly south west onto Lugduff ridge which you follow all the way down to join the Wicklow way at the bottom of Mullacor . Then there are no navigation problems as you follow the Wicklow way around to Glenmalure lodge . After a night in the glorious hospitality there you leave once again on the Wicklow way retracing your steps back to Mullacor and continue on the W way to Laragh and onto Paddock hill leading to Scarr . Then it's , Scarr , Kanturk , Carrigshoug , Mullaghcleevaun East top , Mullaghcleevaun , Black , Sorrell and the road to Blessington .
    You can expect to be on your feet for about eighteen hours over the two days so it's quite demanding . Best of luck if you decide to have a go .
    Blackvalley

Advertisement