Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I received an "infraction" . It told me to appeal here

Options
  • 05-04-2016 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,623 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm not too sure what the impact of an "infraction" is but I received one and I would like to complain. I was told that "homophobia and homophobic slurs are not welcome anywhere on boards".
    Kev_2012 wrote: »
    This comment activity has made your my day whole week hole weak !! biggrin.png

fyp

fyp^2
    [/QUOTE]

That was not in any way homophobic..... :-/ . In fact I think, ironically, it is homophobic to delete and censor the "joke". Fair enough if you don't think it's particularly funny. Yes it was an indirect but ludicrous reference to anal sex. Maybe the moderator doesn't personally approve of that particular activity and doesn't want it "normalized" by being mentioned in the media? Heterosexual people can also have it too you know!

I am very disappointed at the censorship and attempt to create "sacred cows" which does more harm to those it ostensibly purports to "support".

If there are LBGT people there who actually do think it is homophobic then I take it back but I think that there are a lot more things that need to be fixed in society for anyone to be worrying about a harmless joke like that. If there is an LBGT section here I would be tempted to repost it there to ask those posters whether they thought it was homophobic but I don't know if I'll get in trouble if I copy and paste it there. I would like to ask whether it would be ok for me to ask it there.

It might just have been a misunderstanding by the person who banned me. If that is the case I would like for the infraction to be removed. I meant no harm and would prefer not to have the accusation of homophobia on my record.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As per the flow chart above, have you contacted the mod by PM to discuss the infraction?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,623 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

dudara wrote: »
    As per the flow chart above, have you contacted the mod by PM to discuss the infraction?

Sorry. I misunderstood. The message I received led me to believe I had to respond here. I will try to contact him directly

Hi again,

I don't really want to be wasting people's time but I would still like to follow up with this.

The response that I received was
    The first 'joke' was bad, you made it worse. Homophobia,transphobia,etc is on the rise. The card was deserved in my opinion and I won't reverse it.

I do not remember the "first joke". I am fairly sure I only made the one post in that thread. I cannot see what the "first joke" was and I forget what it was. They seem to have been deleted but I am sure that the system administrators can see them so I'd have no reason to lie.

I honestly do not think that my post was either homophobic or a slur. It was definitely not meant to be either. I am genuinely surprised that it could be perceived as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Hello Donald, I will have a look at this later on this evening.

In the mean time, can you please send me on all pm correspondence you had with the forum mod?

Thank you.

LEIN wrote: »
    Hello Donald, I will have a look at this later on this evening.

In the mean time, can you please send me on all pm correspondence you had with the forum mod?

Thank you.

Hi. Thanks very much. I think that I just sent it there. Let me know if I didn't do it correctly:
    It was only 3 messages. They are all embedded in that final message
    1) He messaged me with infraction
    2) I replied
    3) He responded

I did post here after (1) but I misunderstood that I had to communicate through here. I did not reply after (3) as I presumed it would only cause annoyance

• Advertisement

Hi,

I'm not too sure what the impact of an "infraction" is but I received one and I would like to complain. I was told that "homophobia and homophobic slurs are not welcome anywhere on boards".

That was not in any way homophobic..... :-/ . In fact I think, ironically, it is homophobic to delete and censor the "joke". Fair enough if you don't think it's particularly funny. Yes it was an indirect but ludicrous reference to anal sex. Maybe the moderator doesn't personally approve of that particular activity and doesn't want it "normalized" by being mentioned in the media? Heterosexual people can also have it too you know!

I am very disappointed at the censorship and attempt to create "sacred cows" which does more harm to those it ostensibly purports to "support".

If there are LBGT people there who actually do think it is homophobic then I take it back but I think that there are a lot more things that need to be fixed in society for anyone to be worrying about a harmless joke like that. If there is an LBGT section here I would be tempted to repost it there to ask those posters whether they thought it was homophobic but I don't know if I'll get in trouble if I copy and paste it there. I would like to ask whether it would be ok for me to ask it there.

It might just have been a misunderstanding by the person who banned me. If that is the case I would like for the infraction to be removed. I meant no harm and would prefer not to have the accusation of homophobia on my record.

Hi Donald, I have reviewed your post and posts that let up to your infraction.

First up, an infraction is not a ban and you are free to post in that forum or anywhere on boards.ie, please see below for an explanation.
    boards.ie wrote:
    An Infraction (or Red Card) adds 1 point to your infraction total. These are given out for serious offenses, such as insulting other users, and are usually accompanied by a forum-ban. If you get 10 active infractions you will be site banned temporarily for 1 week. However, users at risk of getting 10 infractions are generally causing lots of trouble and catching the attention of the Admins - who may end up permanently banning such users anyway.

Infraction points expire after 10 days. Take them for what they are: Stern Warnings and do not get too upset over getting one (i.e. please don’t start a Help Desk thread). If you believe that you have received an unfair infraction, please see the appeals section. If a mistake has been made by the moderator, infractions and warnings can be reversed.

Infractions make keeping an eye on potentially troublesome users easier for our moderators.

After review of the thread, there was an inappropriate "joke" made by another user which was also actioned by the Mod.

Unfortunately, that "joke" was made worse again by you adding to it. It was very distasteful to the LGBT community on boards.ie and in general to the broader public. It was seen as a homophobic comment and I tend to agree it is also very offensive.

This is not censoring, this is a community for all walks of life to enjoy without having to see very distasteful "jokes" like what was seen in that thread.

For that reason, I stand by the Mod's decision and I will be upholding the infraction.

Just try to be more thoughtful before posting again and all will be fine.

I genuinely appreciate you taking the time to look at it.

While I cannot disagree or dispute anyone's personal subjectivity as to whether a "joke" is tasteless to them, I wholly reject that what I posted was trolling, homophobic and/or a slur. That is what I was told when I was given the infraction thing.

I am not trying to start a row with you, but do you personally think it was homophobic or a slur? I am not going to argue, I'm just curious.

Hi Donald, I have reviewed your post and posts that let up to your infraction.

First up, an infraction is not a ban and you are free to post in that forum or anywhere on boards.ie, please see below for an explanation.

After review of the thread, there was an inappropriate "joke" made by another user which was also actioned by the Mod.

Unfortunately, that "joke" was made worse again by you adding to it. It was very distasteful to the LGBT community on boards.ie and in general to the broader public. It was seen as a homophobic comment and I tend to agree it is also very offensive.

This is not censoring, this is a community for all walks of life to enjoy without having to see very distasteful "jokes" like what was seen in that thread.

For that reason, I stand by the Mod's decision and I will be upholding the infraction.

Just try to be more thoughtful before posting again and all will be fine.

Hi Donald, I stand by my review of the situation.

As per the flow chart at the top of this page, if you are unhappy with my decision, I can have an Admin look into it?

Please advise.

Hi Donald, I stand by my review of the situation.

As per the flow chart at the top of this page, if you are unhappy with my decision, I can have an Admin look into it?

Please advise.

Hi,

No, I'm not complaining about your decision. Your decision was that is was a distasteful comment/reference/joke. I can't complain over something like that.
    The person who gave me the infraction mentioned, trolling and homophobia and homophobic slurs. I still disagree with that logic. I don't disagree with something being distasteful, which is largely subjective to the individual.

My last post was just asking your own personal opinion on whether you thought it was homophobic or a homophobic slur. That's all. Even if you wouldn't have thought it was, it wouldn't weaken your own decision. I wasn't trying to antagonize you.
    This is probably not the place to ask it though so I can leave it be.

Would it be acceptable to ask in one of the other message boards? I am genuinely interested to learn whether it was really offensive to people, and in particular LBGT people as it seems to have been done on "their" behalf. (I just say "their" as I can't understand why someone would seek to create a "them" out of this, which naturally creates an "us" by extension). If it is ok, can you suggest the best board as I don't want to cause trouble. The problem is that I can't even remember exactly the flow as the posts have been removed from public view.

From memory, there was a mention of the word "steamer". Then someone said some reference they found funny made their day. I can't even remember that. Someone else changed that to say "whole week" and I changed it to "hole weak" and I think I added the work "activity". Maybe "steamer" is an offensive slang with an additional meaning. I thought that it was just a crude slang for a large s**t . And there is the old joke "what is the difference between oral sex and anal sex? - One makes your whole day ....." etc. So I kinda made a reference to that, quite innocently, and then suddenly I'm being accused of homophobic slurs :( . And now it's publicly on "my record" here.

Hi Donald, it was a homophobic joke that you added to making it worse.

By all means, start a thread elsewhere as this is not the place to debate opinion.

I am marking this as resolved.

• Advertisement

Admins, this can be marked resolved, thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement