Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renewing tax on car I just bought

• 05-04-2016 3:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭

Hello,

When I got my previous car the dealer handled everything and the log book arrived in the post a number of days later. I assumed the same procedure would be applicable here but apparently not. I currently do not have a registration certificate or log book or anything so I can't renew my tax online. I was told I need to go to the tax office and get everything sorted there. I want everything in order before I arrive so I can get this done quickly as my tax is expired.

I tried calling them but only got automated answers before bringing me back to the main menu. I emailed them this morning and heard nothing back since then. Can someone please advise me on what form I need to fill out and what I need to bring with me tomorrow?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is information missing.

Did you use a dealer again or a private sale this time?
    Who is "them"? Dealer?
    Where are you going tomorrow? Tax office?

Just keep ringing seller and see did they send logbook off to Shannon.
    Ring Shannon and ask if a car with reg ABC has been processed yet. You can also check this online - go to https://www.motortax.ie and click on Vehicle Transaction Enquiry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭xabi

Once Shannon process the logbook you can retrieve a new pin from the website, as mentioned above, check the transaction history and once this happens you can apply for a new PIN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Sorry I made this last night lying in bed on my phone :p

I bought my car from Blackwater Motors dealership earlier this month. I assumed the log book would arrive in the post like it did with my previous car but after about two weeks there was no sign of it. I contacted the salesman again and he said it doesn't work like that, that I would need to go into the tax office to get this sorted out. I thought this was odd.

So I went into the tax office today as I was told to do by two people at Blackwater Motors, and the lovely man behind the counter said that it is up to Blackwater Motors to sort out the log book. Until I get said log book I cannot renew my tax and technically I am not the legal owner of the car. Blackwater Motors are still the current owner (as a garage, 1 private owner before that). He said the log book will need to be sorted out by Blackwater; Blackwater telling me it needs to be the tax office.

So now I need to go back to the dealer again, figure out why they never sent off the log book or why they never got the log book from the previous owner. If Blackwater end up causing me pain here then my other option is to fill in a form declaring that I am the owner of the car - Bring this to the garage that sold me the car so they can stamp it - Then bring it to a solicitor and have them stamp it. Then after all that send it off to Shannon.

Who messed up here - Me or the dealer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

I recently got a car and it took nearly 10 working days for the new registration papers to arrive. Once it came I simply retrieved the motor tax pin from the motor tax website and paid the tax for it.

Are you waiting more than 10 working days OP ?

Edit: OP replied a minute before me...I see the OP was waiting 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's up to Blackwater Motors, I think they lost the book and are now trying to fob you off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Danger781 wrote: »
    Sorry I made this last night lying in bed on my phone :p

I bought my car from Blackwater Motors dealership earlier this month. I assumed the log book would arrive in the post like it did with my previous car but after about two weeks there was no sign of it. I contacted the salesman again and he said it doesn't work like that, that I would need to go into the tax office to get this sorted out. I thought this was odd.

So I went into the tax office today as I was told to do by two people at Blackwater Motors, and the lovely man behind the counter said that it is up to Blackwater Motors to sort out the log book. Until I get said log book I cannot renew my tax and technically I am not the legal owner of the car. Blackwater Motors are still the current owner (as a garage, 1 private owner before that). He said the log book will need to be sorted out by Blackwater; Blackwater telling me it needs to be the tax office.

So now I need to go back to the dealer again, figure out why they never sent off the log book or why they never got the log book from the previous owner. If Blackwater end up causing me pain here then my other option is to fill in a form declaring that I am the owner of the car - Bring this to the garage that sold me the car so they can stamp it - Then bring it to a solicitor and have them stamp it. Then after all that send it off to Shannon.

Who messed up here - Me or the dealer?

Did you see and sign the Log Book when purchasing the car?

If so, then it's up to the Dealer to then post off the Log Book.

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Did you see and sign the Log Book when purchasing the car?

If so, then it's up to the Dealer to then post off the Log Book.

Honestly I don't remember - There was so much paperwork being signed on the day I bought it. Looking back I don't think I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Danger781 wrote: »
    Honestly I don't remember - There was so much paperwork being signed on the day I bought it. Looking back I don't think I did.

If the Dealer didn't produce the Log Book for you to sign then there'd be big alarm bells going off in my head.

You need to get this sorted as quickly as possible.

Just off the phone with Blackwater. They said they completed a change of ownership form on the 18th and it should be done by now. Normally if the change can't be completed they would receive a response stating that it had failed but there is nothing on record for my car.

As it stands it seems to be stuck in limbo somewhere. They are trying to contact the tax office to figure out what the story is.

Now we wait I guess..

• Advertisement

Change Of Vehicle Ownership
    Purchased by a Dealer on : 23/01/2016

Notified on : 27/01/2016
    Vehicle Registration Certificate
    Most recent Vehicle Registration Certificate issued on : 14/01/2016

Looks like Shannon don't have it yet, maybe they have a backlog, so worth a call to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

MadDog76 wrote: »
    If the Dealer didn't produce the Log Book for you to sign then there'd be big alarm bells going off in my head.

You need to get this sorted as quickly as possible.

Most dealers bar the small ones can transfer ownership online these days.

OP,

Change Of Vehicle Ownership
    Purchased by a Dealer on : 23/01/2016

Notified on : 27/01/2016
    Vehicle Registration Certificate
    Most recent Vehicle Registration Certificate issued on : 14/01/2016

From your info above it looks like the dealer bought the car on 23rd January, Shannon were notified of this on 27th January. Previous owner was issued a registration cert on 14th January. Nothing further after that so either Shannon were not notified by the dealer that you are the new owner or Shannon didn't acknowledge it at their end.

On what date did you actually buy the car?

Everything is sorted now - The gent I bought the car from in Blackwater went out of his way to follow up with the tax office as to why this wasn't sorted. Turns out they had entered an incorrect digit for the VLC (Is that right?) number which caused the delay but they weren't notified. So they re-submitted the change of ownership for me, then took my card details to renew the tax for me to avoid me going back to the tax office. Log book should be here in the next 5 working days or so.

To be fair he kept me updated each step of the way with any progress they mad; I got 4 phone calls from him today.

Happy customer :)

Advertisement