Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whitsundays in June

Options
  • 05-04-2016 6:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

Planning a long weekend for my girlfriends birthday in June and booked flights to go to the Whitsundays. Only have 2 and a half days there, so wondering if people had any advice of where to stay and what to try and fit in in such a short space of time?

I've been thinking Whitehaven beach and a full day tour to the outer reef . Thinking of basing ourselves in Airlie Beach but also considering Hamilton Island too.

Could this be done better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Where are you flying into?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Been to the area 3 times.

You can do a tour in one day, Whitehaven beach and Snorking on the reef.

I have stayed on Daydream Island which is a resort on itself, Hamilton Island Beech resort and Airlie beach in a camper van.

I did a parachute jump out of Shute harbour as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Flying to Prosperine, but don't mind making the journey across to one of the islands if it's a better place to base ourselves.

@Mandrake, which would you suggest out of the places you've stayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I would probably go to Airlie beach as you have more options and because you are flying in to the mainland, you could still pickup a tour of Whitehaven & Snorking on the reef.

Really from what I remember for the tour early pickup, boat to Whitehaven tramp around there for a few hours then boat to reef and couple of hours Snorking etc. I was there in January and June, June is good because you don't need the stinger suits that you need during summer.

Hamilton is good if flying directly in there but it's expensive, the ferrys around the islands can be expensive as well.

Anytime I have been there it's been max 4 days which is about right, 2.5 days is a bit limited imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I would probably go to Airlie beach as you have more options and because you are flying in to the mainland, you could still pickup a tour of Whitehaven & Snorking on the reef.

Really from what I remember for the tour early pickup, boat to Whitehaven tramp around there for a few hours then boat to reef and couple of hours Snorking etc. I was there in January and June, June is good because you don't need the stinger suits that you need during summer.

Hamilton is good if flying directly in there but it's expensive, the ferrys around the islands can be expensive as well.

Anytime I have been there it's been max 4 days which is about right, 2.5 days is a bit limited imo.

Consider an overnight sailing trip on one of the smaller boats, you will still get to see Whitehaven go snorkelling, it's easier than organizing all of the above, and you get to go sailing.

Went on Broomstick (I think, or maybe Iceberg) a few years back, 2 superb days in paradise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭saraj14

Just back from a weekend there.
    It's a gorgeous place. We stayed at "The Waters Edge". It is so close to town.
    I would recommend staying in Airlie and just doing a day trip.
    We had dinner one night at the Sailing Club. It has amazing views and the food was lovely.

Advertisement