Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Front Squat Grip - Does It Matter?

• 05-04-2016 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hey lads,

Just a query that I've had for a while - when front squatting with a barbell, I use the arms folded method of securing the bar. I just can't seem to get the hang of the arms bent backwards grip that you might see a lot of crossfit or power athletes use.

Does this make any real difference to performance? Or does it simply indicate a lack of ROM in my shoulders/lateral muscles?

Cheers for any advice given.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

The only difference is that cross arm is less forgiving, and probably a bit harder than "clean" grip.

There'll be no real functional difference when it comes to the work your core, legs or back get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

**DISCLAIMER** yes, you should be able to clean grip a bar functional human being move well blah blah blah, but as this is the real world and not some theoretical classroom - ****kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭caviardreams

...and it doesn't look as cool, which is the most important thing obvs :P

I really struggled with this, and still do tbh, but have found just practising with very, very light weight helps you get used to it over time, and makes it feel more comfortable (or rather, less uncomfortable :o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

No harm on working on stretching out your lats regularly and working on t-spine mobility all the same even if you never try the clean grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A good variation I've seen for people who can't get the clean grip is to tie straps to the bar where your hands would go. Then grip the straps.
    Any strap type should work.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMy33MjoSM0NVd7PNz7FGdtATDRv6cw6JLVsJxlSroO8mof0-gFa8IicoB

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I use the above method, I feel my hands have been getting progressively closer to the bar too. Its also lets you perform the "elbows up" que which I find helps my form / keep an upright posture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Mellor wrote: »
    A good variation I've seen for people who can't get the clean grip is to tie straps to the bar where your hands would go. Then grip the straps.
    Any strap type should work.

I do that and it's work pretty well.

although I would wrap the wrap around my fist (unlike the guy in pic) to make it tight and less likely to slip , but that's a personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Deshi Basara

I've tried the wraps once before. But I just couldn't keep stability. Crumbled after a few reps at a relatively light weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

T-spine mobility and forearm stretches seem to help me. I've got the 't-rex' grip going at the moment (2 fingers and thumb) and it's gradually improving

Advertisement