Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC World refusing to give me receipt

Options
  • 05-04-2016 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

So I spent €2099 on a new PC on PCWorld.ie 2 weeks ago. It arrived last week, but with no receipt.
    There was no online receipt either - just an order confirmation via e-mail after I made the order. All I was able to see was Order Details with confirmation of price, payment method, ETA, etc.

Anyway - I sent multiple e-mails to their "websales@pcworld.ie" address asking for a proper invoice and got no reply. Last one was 5 days ago.

So I called them this morning and they told me to e-mail that same address - I said I already did, and they said to just wait. She said they can't sort invoices there - it's done by a different company. I told them to put me through to that company and she said they're e-mail only. I called bullsh*t and said that nobody is e-mail only and I want my invoice. I shouldn't have to chase it by both phone & e-mail - it should have been sent to me!

Anyway - I got fobbed off on the phone and am getting no reply from their e-mails. How should I proceed?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If it's within the 14 day cooling off period send it back, there's bound to be better value and service available elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

Del2005 wrote: »
    If it's within the 14 day cooling off period send it back, there's bound to be better value and service available elsewhere.

Too much hassle - it's all set up & I'm happy with it. It was one of these - so not just a desktop:
    http://www.pcworld.ie/product/asus-zen-aio-pro-4k-touchscreen-allinone-pc/329000/397.0.0

I just want a bloody invoice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Have you thought of going in to a shop in person and asking to speak to a manager?

They can't ignore a person standing there as easily as they can ignore an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,361 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is there any possibility that you could dispute the charge via your credit card when the order has not completed to your satisfaction?

mickdw wrote: »
    Is there any possibility that you could dispute the charge via your credit card when the order has not completed to your satisfaction?

OP doesn't want his money back or to dispute the charges. He's happy with the product, just wants an invoice / receipt for it.

• Advertisement

JustShon wrote: »
    Have you thought of going in to a shop in person and asking to speak to a manager?

If I have to go all the way to one of their stores just to get something I should have been given already (and something I've chased twice via phone & e-mail), then I'd just return the item on general principal alone. I don't like people taking the p*ss out of me.
    If I was going to a PC World store, it'd be with the computer boxed back up and a refusal to leave the store without a full refund. I'm hoping there's another solution. I shouldn't need to be doing this at all!

Surely where there's VAT involved, these guys must be legally obliged to give me an invoice??

If I have to go all the way to one of their stores just to get something I should have been given already (and something I've chased twice via phone & e-mail), then I'd just return the item on general principal alone. I don't like people taking the p*ss out of me.
    If I was going to a PC World store, it'd be with the computer boxed back up and a refusal to leave the store without a full refund. I'm hoping there's another solution. I shouldn't need to be doing this at all!

Surely where there's VAT involved, these guys must be legally obliged to give me an invoice??

Yes they are legally obliged to give a receipt / invoice.

I'm not saying you should have to go into a PC world store to get a receipt but that might be the only way you're going to get attention from them.

Your other options are: Continue to badger them via email and phone in the hopes they give in or, live without the invoice / receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

No they are not obliged to give receipt ...law is silent on the matter. If you have confirmation by post that the item was sent by the company ..relax your grand

No they are not obliged to give receipt

I stand corrected, I always assumed you were legally entitled to a receipt.

No they are not obliged to give receipt ...law is silent on the matter. If you have confirmation by post that the item was sent by the company ..relax your grand

But it was a new PC for my company - I need the VAT back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

For TAX / VAT reasons, surely you're entitled to an invoice though?

Did that order confirmation say anything about 'treat as invoice' or include their VAT number?

But it was a new PC for my company - I need the VAT back.

Here's revenue's info on who is required to issue a VAT receipt: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/guide/credit-notes.html#section2

I don't know what the legal definition of an "accountable person" is, perhaps someone more knowledgeable can let us know.

If you qualify as an "accountable person" then they would be legally required to issue you with a VAT invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

I had this issue before. There is absolutely no obligation to give a receipt obviously you don't need one if you bought by credit card as it's your proof if purchase.. However if you were foolish enough to handle over that kind of money in cash without getting a receipt .. It's unbelievable.

JustShon wrote: »
    Here's revenue's info on who is required to issue a VAT receipt: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/guide/credit-notes.html#section2

I don't know what the legal definition of an "accountable person" is, perhaps someone more knowledgeable can let us know.

If you qualify as an "accountable person" then they would be legally required to issue you with a VAT invoice.

An "accountable person" would be someone who is registered for VAT.

So they are legally obliged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Write to them requesting receipt within 10 working days.
    If no response file a Small Claims Court case for the same amount as the VAT you can't claim without an invoice.

However if you were foolish enough to handle over that kind of money in cash without getting a receipt .. It's unbelievable.

You haven't read his post have you?

He ordered online and had it delivered. Handing over cash for an online purchase would be some feat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

OP if I were you I'd ring Revenue and ask them what they think you should do.

After all, you need the VAT receipt to re-claim the VAT, and here is a (presumably) VAT-registered company who's not giving it to you.

For reasons like this, this is why I usually browse on-line but buy in-store. That way, if there is any problem with the product/receipt etc. I can go directly to the person that sold it and get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Write to them requesting receipt within 10 working days.
    If no response file a Small Claims Court case for the same amount as the VAT you can't claim without an invoice.
    You can't use the SCC for a business-to-business transaction.

serfboard wrote: »
    OP if I were you I'd ring Revenue and ask them what they think you should do.

After all, you need the VAT receipt to re-claim the VAT, and here is a (presumably) VAT-registered company who's not giving it to you.

For reasons like this, this is why I usually browse on-line but buy in-store. That way, if there is any problem with the product/receipt etc. I can go directly to the person that sold it and get it sorted.

Yeah, but this item is online order only. Otherwise I would have bought instore so I wouldn't have had to wait either.

Will call Revenue for advice. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Op, when you bought online, didn't they send you an email confirming the order and the price paid?

• Advertisement

davo10 wrote: »
    Op, when you bought online, didn't they send you an email confirming the order and the price paid?

Yeah, but it's just a confirmation of order - no VAT breakdown, and it's not a receipt - payment hadn't been taken yet, etc. Just an order confirmation...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As this is for a company, and VAT reclamation, this is not a Consumer Issue. Moving to Entreprenurial and Business Management.

Did PC world know that you were buying it for business purposes and hence would need a VAT invoice / receipt? In other words, did they know you were an "accountable person". They would need your VAT number also for their VAT returns.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

dudara wrote: »
    They would need your VAT number also for their VAT returns.

dudara

:confused: Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

That way PC World know the transaction is to another validly registered business, and they can offset their input and output VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Return it, shop elsewhere. If it dies in 6mo imagine how much pain you may have.

Irish consumers are poor at voting with their feet, this just leads to worse customer care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

dudara wrote: »
    That way PC World know the transaction is to another validly registered business, and they can offset their input and output VAT

Makes no sense to me. If the goods or services you're selling are subject to VAT, you have to charge it and pay it to Revenue, whether an individual customer is VAT-registered or not. And you can offset any VAT on your own purchases against this (provided you have a valid VAT receipt or invoice).

The VAT3 form does not ask whether any of the VAT on sales you made was to other VAT-registered businesses, so where would you return such information anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Just to confirm OP, was there any PC World paperwork with the delivery at all.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Just to confirm OP, was there any PC World paperwork with the delivery at all.

No - just a DPD shipping doc. It was stuck onto the actual product box itself - so there wasn't even any extra external packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Revenue are not unreasonable. If it was me, I'd just print the payment confirmation page, calculate and handwrite in the VAT amount, staple on the email correspondance with PCworld and file it in expenses. Also you're losing money every minute you spend dealing with this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

You've already got plenty of advice regarding the invoice/receipt. For any future computer purchases I would strongly recommend to stay clear of any Irish retailers, you are not going to get value for money and as you've seen the customer service can be poor at best.

I'd be happy to recommend some other options for purchasing depending on your needs, feel free to PM me. (disclaimer: I have no business interest in this, just don't like seeing people get defecated on by Irish retailers, especially with computers)

Advertisement