Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC World refusing to give me receipt

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

They have a b2b arm: http://www.pcworld.ie/content/pc-world-business-welcome/2298
    Maybe speak to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Yeah, but it's just a confirmation of order - no VAT breakdown, and it's not a receipt - payment hadn't been taken yet, etc. Just an order confirmation...

You bought as a consumer on their consumer website. No vat receipt has to be issued.

Any basic accountant will cross reference your payment with a print off of the order confirmation and calculate the vat paid. If their vat number is not on the receipt, write it on yourself. Its 8259460C

That literally is as simple as it gets.

Your other option is to get all worked up about it, start getting angry with call centre person, make it take hours of your time and get absolutely no advantage whatsoever to what I describe above.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,361 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

VincePP wrote: »
    You bought as a consumer on their consumer website. No vat receipt has to be issued.

Any basic accountant will cross reference your payment with a print off of the order confirmation and calculate the vat paid. If their vat number is not on the receipt, write it on yourself. Its 8259460C

That literally is as simple as it gets.

Your other option is to get all worked up about it, start getting angry with call centre person, make it take hours of your time and get absolutely no advantage whatsoever to what I describe above.
    Is that 100% fine as far as a tax audit goes?
    Is there any situation where that sale could have gone through vat free and if so, assuming the vat amount could be abit dodgy..... Im only asking the question. Ive no idea if there is a situation where the sale from pc world could have been vat free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

mickdw wrote: »
    Is that 100% fine as far as a tax audit goes?
    Is there any situation where that sale could have gone through vat free and if so, assuming the vat amount could be abit dodgy..... Im only asking the question. Ive no idea if there is a situation where the sale from pc world could have been vat free.

100% fine. I've done it for years and have had two tax audits (32 years in business) and its never been an issue.

Many retail shops don't do vat breakdown - ikea is an example. Accountant just checks the item and calculates the vat and writes it on the till receipt

• Registered Users Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

All you need is pc world's vat number and proof of payment with reference number and something saying what the payment was for. You can claim back the vat with this information.
    You will only get into difficulty if you have tons of transactions like this as it looks suspicious but as a one off its perfectly acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

Joseph wrote: »
    For any future computer purchases I would strongly recommend to stay clear of any Irish retailers, you are not going to get value for money and as you've seen the customer service can be poor at best.
    )

That statement is nonsense. I have purchased goods online including PCs and laptops and have always got a receipt and been very happy with price and service. My advice would be to phone the revenue. As oen poster said they are generally understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Palmach wrote: »
    That statement is nonsense. I have purchased goods online including PCs and laptops and have always got a receipt and been very happy with price and service. My advice would be to phone the revenue. As oen poster said they are generally understanding.
    Any time I have ever checked the prices have been bloated compared to other retailers (UK and otherwise). Sometimes it may not be obvious with models and specifications on devices but 9 times out of 10 they are worse.

Any experiences I've had with them is like trying to pull teeth. Glad you are having such a good time.

Advertisement