Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street trading query

Options
  • 05-04-2016 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi everyone.
    I am a photographer, have been into photography most of my life and have recently turned my passion into a source of income. I have done photoshoots for people and have some bookings for communions too.
    I have registered for income tax through an accountant and acquired public liability insurance.
    My question is, what are the laws and regulations in Ireland regarding Street trading? Can I set up a portable stall on the footpath and start doing business there?
    Any pointers / answers/advice very welcome.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Contact your council. Locations are likely to be limited and you will presumably a casual traders licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭novaboy80

Thanks, I sent them an email same day you replied, was told my query was passed on to whoever was deemed suitable to give me an answer and that he'd be contacting me directly. A week later and still nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

novaboy80 wrote: »
    Thanks, I sent them an email same day you replied, was told my query was passed on to whoever was deemed suitable to give me an answer and that he'd be contacting me directly. A week later and still nothing.

A week isn't that long to wait on the council to be honest! I'm waiting two months for them to get back to me about rates figured they would be on that super quick! Maybe give them a ring and check up on it they might be able to give you a realistic time line.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Hi everyone.
    I am a photographer, have been into photography most of my life and have recently turned my passion into a source of income. I have done photoshoots for people and have some bookings for communions too.
    I have registered for income tax through an accountant and acquired public liability insurance.
    My question is, what are the laws and regulations in Ireland regarding Street trading? Can I set up a portable stall on the footpath and start doing business there?
    Any pointers / answers/advice very welcome.
    Thanks in advance.

The regulations are governed by the Casual Trading Act but many areas also have their own individual bye laws (these can be found online quite easily). Each locality has a number of "designated trading areas" from which only licence holders can trade. As another poster mentioned, it can take a while, if at all, to get one of these as they do not become available very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭novaboy80

A year will have past soon enough and still no reply from County council!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

My personal experience with the council and street trading would be that there are designated trading areas in most towns and you apply for a casual trading license to set up stall there. My experience is all with Donegal County council and their info is here: http://www.donegalcoco.ie/services/planning/casualtrading/

Each county council has different bye-laws about casual trading, but I am surprised that they don't have a section with info on their website similar to the one above.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

Did you follow up with phone calls?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Which council did you apply to?

Advertisement