Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a shoe

• 05-04-2016 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

Good afternoon gentleman,

My posting of some years requires that I wear a full suit so of course formal footwear is important.

As someone who lives in the suburbs and works in the city I tend to walk a fair bit every day, to and from public transport and the office. Let's say a good hour a day.

And I am flying through shoes and am having to replace within the year. Most prominently the heals but also the tops tend to wear.

Can anyone recommend a durable yet stylish shoe that, in your experience, will last and doesn't cost as much as your suit!

With thanks,
    Hamster

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Good afternoon gentleman,

My posting of some years requires that I wear a full suit so of course formal footwear is important.

As someone who lives in the suburbs and works in the city I tend to walk a fair bit every day, to and from public transport and the office. Let's say a good hour a day.

And I am flying through shoes and am having to replace within the year. Most prominently the heals but also the tops tend to wear.

Can anyone recommend a durable yet stylish shoe that, in your experience, will last and doesn't cost as much as your suit!

With thanks,
    Hamster

A different solution, but one that works for me- leave your shoes in the office/ in your bag and use runners or comfy shoes for walking to and from the office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

tritium wrote: »
    A different solution, but one that works for me- leave your shoes in the office/ in your bag and use runners or comfy shoes for walking to and from the office.

I should and it makes more sense but could never keep it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

If you're wearing a suit and doing a lot of walking you'll need shoes with dainite soles. Leather soles are slightly more elegant but don't wear as well, they're treacherous in the rain and you'll get the shock of your lifetime if you're not used to them and are expecting something as comfortable as a bouncy rubber sole.

You'll also need two pairs of shoes to alternate between - wearing the same shoes everyday will ruin them very quickly, particularly if you're doing serious walking in them.

Take a look at the English makers like Barker, Loake 1880 and Cheaney. Run a mile from anything with a square toe and don't expect them to be as comfortable as runners. The likes of Ecco/Rockport etc will be comfortable but also fúck ugly. They'll crease within a few days of wearing them and be fit for the bin inside of 9 months. Avoid like the plague.

Two good pairs of English shoes, some leather cream, shoe polish and a set of shoe trees and you'll be set for the next 5-10 years or so. Dainite wears like iron so I'd be surprised if they needed to be resoled more than once every five years.

Advertisement