Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So my Boyfriend says I havent cracked Chicken

Options
  • 05-04-2016 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests, I've tried cooking chicken fillets numerous differnet ways but most have been unsuccessful. One or two outright disasters and then mostly just a bit boring.

Below are examples of things that I've tried but none have proved popular.

Chicken in satay sauce - went a big rogue here and the sauce split - verdict = disaster
    Jerk chicken - used thighs and drumsticks for this. tonnes of flavour on the outside but chicken itself was plan and boring. Also used too much chili so the skin was hot hot hot! - verdict = disaster
    Pan friend chicken brest - cooked numerous times with various spices, ie cajun, cayenne pepper, paprika etc, served with some lime - verdict = boring
    Chicken and Almond curry - smelled great the whole way through cooking with the various spices etc but the almond butter seemed to nutrilise the flavour, totally bland. verdict = boring
    Chinese lemon chicken - velveted the chicken before stirfrying with lemongrass and a lemon, cornflour, ricewine and soy sauce which thickened up nicely. verdict = boring

Now I'm of the opinion that a chicken fillet will only ever be so exciting but my BF insists that I'm just bad at cooking chicken.

Any suggestions?!?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Beat an egg in a cup - add to a bowl
    Make / Buy breadcrumbs - put onto a plate
    Dip the chicken in the egg and mix into the breadcrumbs
    Add to a frying pan for about 5 mins and turn over. Turn down the heat and cover with a lid *

For a sauce, chop some garlic really finely & add to a pot with a humongous knob of butter. Cook on a low heat for 5 mins or so and pour over the chicken.

* this really works for me to get a nice, moist chicken.

All else fails, see if he's any good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Easy Chicken Pasta

Parboil pasta, drain and add to a pyrex dish
    Grate a cup of cheese and add to the pasta
    Add a small bottle of cream
    Add a tin of chopped tomatoes

Lob into the over for 20 mins or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Loire wrote: »
    Add to a frying pan for about 5 mins and turn over. Turn down the heat and cover with a lid *

For a sauce, chop some garlic really finely & add to a pot with a humongous knob of butter. Cook on a low heat for 5 mins or so and pour over the chicken.

Would you believe I've actually tried something similar but had forgotten it from my list.

I did chicken goujons, and even added a bit of parmasan cheese and herbs to try to make it a bit more flavorsome. I baked them in the oven and they were really moist (at least I don't make dry chicken!) and served with salad and homemade potato wedges but apparently it was also a bit "boring"

I'm beginning to think he's just impossible!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Easy Chicken Pasta

Parboil pasta, drain and add to a pyrex dish
    Grate a cup of cheese and add to the pasta
    Add a small bottle of cream
    Add a tin of chopped tomatoes

Lob into the over for 20 mins or so.

Er, no chicken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

Have you tried a meat hammer? Serious question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I seriously question your bf's ability to actually taste real food if his verdict of all of the above = boring.

What wonderful and exciting chicken dishes does he come up with?

He sounds like a real joy to cook for - you're very lucky to have him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Take boyfriend's meat.
    Place on chopping board.
    Cover withwith cling film.
    Hammer flat with meat hammer.
    Job done!

I seriously question your bf's ability to actually taste real food if his verdict of all of the above = boring.

What wonderful and exciting chicken dishes does he come up with?

He sounds like a real joy to cook for - you're very lucky to have him.

Ha, I know, he's a delight :pac::pac::pac:

TBF he's normally highly complementary about my cooking but he's convinced chicken is my weak spot skill wise.

He comes up with precisely zero dishes, just does the BBQ in summer and cooks steak whenever thats what we're having. Don't get me wrong, he helps in the kitchen, but its mostly involving chopping and keeping things moving towards the dishwasher.

In fairness, the jerk chicken and the satay were genuinely unsuccessful, but all the rest were nice IMO. Maybe the chicken goujons were a bit childish but still nice I thought.

I'm thinking of trying to replicate the chicken katsu curry from wagamamas, as he apparently likes that, so we shall see.

Actually no, so thank you! This is the kind of facepalming obvious advice that I was looking for! :D

Should I butterfly it first or would that make it too thin? Should I wrap in clingfilm first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

Actually no, so thank you! This is the kind of facepalming obvious advice that I was looking for! :D

Should I butterfly it first or would that make it too thin? Should I wrap in clingfilm first

I just put them whole in a zip lock bag and start "tenderizing", then they're lovely just pan fried with whatever seasoning you fancy

• Advertisement

I just put them whole in a zip lock bag and start "tenderizing", then they're lovely just pan fried with whatever seasoning you fancy

Thank you - this sounds just about within my skill level!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

I buy chicken fillets from my local butcher, who I think is a really good butcher as they go.

I've only ever bought a whole chicken if I was doing a roast of something like that at the weekend.

Really what I'm after is being able to have chicken once a week without complaints, as its a good lean source of protein. I don't think its the most exciting meat ever though, so I think maybe his expectations are too high!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I buy chicken fillets from my local butcher, who I think is a really good butcher as they go.

I've only ever bought a whole chicken if I was doing a roast of something like that at the weekend.

Really what I'm after is being able to have chicken once a week without complaints, as its a good lean source of protein. I don't think its the most exciting meat ever though, so I think maybe his expectations are too high!

Have you tried a straight-up roast chicken? I mean a quality bird, not those 4/5 euro yokes from Tesco. Hard to beat with roast veg and a nice gravy

mordeith wrote: »
    Have you tried a straight-up roast chicken? I mean a quality bird, not those 4/5 euro yokes from Tesco. Hard to beat with roast veg and a nice gravy

Yeah, once or twice and yes always good quality - I buy all my meat from the butchers, its something i'd be fussy about.

I suppose my perception is that doing a roast dinner is a bit time consuming on a weekday after work. We mostly eat out on a Saturday and go to one of our families on a Sunday so a roast, just for the two of us, seems a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

Why not get him to cook the dinners , us lads get off...... way too easy.
    Cook a chicken Curry throw all into a pot and let it roar for 30mins ensure you put lots of chilly into it ,you wont taste the chicken ...job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Yeah, once or twice and yes always good quality - I buy all my meat from the butchers, its something i'd be fussy about.

I suppose my perception is that doing a roast dinner is a bit time consuming on a weekday after work. We mostly eat out on a Saturday and go to one of our families on a Sunday so a roast, just for the two of us, seems a lot.

I find roasts the easiest to do. Just bung em all in the oven!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Just because chicken is from a butchers doesnt mean its decent quality.

Try roasting some skin-on, on the bone organic chicken breasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Filet of chicken is a pretty boring ingredient. It can't be cooked medium. It doesn't have many or any natural juices. It's natural state is white and dry. It needs oils and spices or sauces to taste like anything at all. Ok you can crisp the cr@p out of it and that's not too bad.
    But I never cook chicken filet as a whole I only use it in stir fry and I cut it into strips for that.
    Her current favourite is Asian stir fry with chicken strips in teriyaki sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'd try something along the lines of http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/8399-chicken-breasts-en-papillote

Hard to have tasteless chicken when you cook it with the veg, seasoning aromatics etc in a package (you can always vary the veg mix - earthy root veg one time, Mediterranean veg another with appropriate tweaks to the ingredients/flavourings).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Chicken fillets are bland by nature. If you really want flavour, you need to marinade them overnight in the fridge. Make him some fiery piri piri chicken, that'll knock the gob off him and he might be glad of a nice bland chicken fillet after that...... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,571 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I rarely cook chicken breasts as the are very bland - except sliced across, egg and gram flour and quick fry. Chicken thighs though, in a casserole with leek and celery and peppers, some smoked lardons and stock, handful of porridge oats to thicken, slow cooked, yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Are you sure he doesn't find chicken in general boring? It's not the most exciting of meats.

I think you should ask him to cook it in a way he likes it so you know for future reference, though I suspect if I were you I'd tell him to cook it himself from then on. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

I think fillets or breasts are the most boring bit of the chicken unless in a sauce.
    For salad, I often poach the breast - which is at least gives nice and moist chicken.

Chicken thighs are my go-to dinner during the week - either "roasted" on the pan, or in the oven - cook within 45-60 minutes.
    I often prep them in the morning, stick the casserole in the fridge and then pop in the oven when I get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 FlowerPower1

I haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if it's been posted but Neven Maguire's recipe for Vietnamese Style Grilled Five Spice Chicken Salad is divine, quick and simple to prepare. It can be used with thighs or breast. Google the recipe, nom.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

As the title suggests, I've tried cooking chicken fillets numerous differnet ways but most have been unsuccessful. One or two outright disasters and then mostly just a bit boring.

Below are examples of things that I've tried but none have proved popular.

Chicken in satay sauce - went a big rogue here and the sauce split - verdict = disaster
    Jerk chicken - used thighs and drumsticks for this. tonnes of flavour on the outside but chicken itself was plan and boring. Also used too much chili so the skin was hot hot hot! - verdict = disaster
    Pan friend chicken brest - cooked numerous times with various spices, ie cajun, cayenne pepper, paprika etc, served with some lime - verdict = boring
    Chicken and Almond curry - smelled great the whole way through cooking with the various spices etc but the almond butter seemed to nutrilise the flavour, totally bland. verdict = boring
    Chinese lemon chicken - velveted the chicken before stirfrying with lemongrass and a lemon, cornflour, ricewine and soy sauce which thickened up nicely. verdict = boring

Now I'm of the opinion that a chicken fillet will only ever be so exciting but my BF insists that I'm just bad at cooking chicken.

Any suggestions?!?!

Loads of flavourings and still boring usually means you're not adding enough salt. Chicken breasts are bland and need generous seasoning. It's the most common mistake in amateur cooks IMO. Jerk chicken is a prime example, even though the marinade is packed with flavour it falls flat without salt.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Seriously, tell him to either cook it himself or shut up.

I also recommend using chicken thighs rather than breast. It's much tastier imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Here, all the chicken recipe's you could think of.

Personal favourite of mine, chicken provencale

Wish they would start here with a service like that.

Trick is though with most recipes, take a bite of everything in 1 go.
    Dont eat he vegs, potatoes and meat separate. It is the combination that makes things taste nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

When you put the lid on how long does it take to cook?

Advertisement