Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists not welcome at Powerscourt Waterfall ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

ford2600 wrote: »

In France for example a lot of home heating in rural areas is by firewood, which is obtained from local public and privately owned woods. The trees are typically dropped by owners/professionals and home owners then cut up/split and haul out their wood to season( or in some case season it on site and remove later). I've seen this in Black Forest to. What a lovely family activity
    but could you imagine doing it here? From claims to stolen wood a for starters...

I think this is brilliant. We live near a woods and the amount of timber cut and abandoned by Coillte is scandalous. So many locals could collect these and use them as firewood rather than leaving it to waste and yet you could be done for theft.

Crazy stuff.

We're probably a victim of our own making though regarding right to roam as a recent case in Wicklow where a woman cut her knee on a boardwalk and sued Wicklow Co Co shows. In all honesty is there any surprise people don't want to risk it by allowing people roam on their land?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

They blocked off entrance to the river walk from the house except to ticket holders due the amount of people freeloading along the river and leaving the estate to clean up after them and repair the damage done.

People still leave a mess at the waterfall and damage equipment provided by the estate for its use.
    Those who think the WF should be free....where does the money come from to provide and maintain the amenities they provide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

sconhome wrote: »
    We're probably a victim of our own making though regarding right to roam as a recent case in Wicklow where a woman cut her knee on a boardwalk and sued Wicklow Co Co shows. In all honesty is there any surprise people don't want to risk it by allowing people roam on their land?

She's a $£$"%"£. Seasoned hiker slips and sues provider of a boardwalk to make an area of natural beauty accessible to all. Haven't heard any more about that case - I hope it was thrown out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Those who think the WF should be free....where does the money come from to provide and maintain the amenities they provide?

Seriously - it's a waterfall. It doesn't need any amenities. You can park in Glenmalure and walk up Fraughen Rock Glen to see another fine one that doesn't seem to have the need for a coffee shop or any other ameneties. You can park in Crone Wood car park and walk up a path to see Powerscourt Waterfall too - from above. Beautiful sight from there. Putting in "amenities" is just an excuse to charge people in to see something that nature provides for nothing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

sconhome wrote: »

I think that this is what the occupiers liability act seeks to cover, in that the owner of a piece of land is essentially not liable for accidental injury claims from uninvited guests. Don't think it would cover the Wicklow Co Co case though which is a bit of a farce IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

So to address the topic, anyone entering Powerscourt Waterfall pays so this covers general maintenance/staff and public liability insurance which I'm sure is a huge cost to the landowner, if someone walking falls or drowns, or someone on a bike crashes into a walker then i'm sure the insurance claim would be massive...

Orion wrote: »
    Seriously - it's a waterfall. It doesn't need any amenities. You can park in Glenmalure and walk up Fraughen Rock Glen to see another fine one that doesn't seem to have the need for a coffee shop or any other ameneties. You can park in Crone Wood car park and walk up a path to see Powerscourt Waterfall too - from above. Beautiful sight from there. Putting in "amenities" is just an excuse to charge people in to see something that nature provides for nothing.

So I take it you won't need to use the toilets or grab a coffee or cycle/walk on the maintained thoroughfares?
    Others have said they use the amenities it provides but don't bother paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

If that coffee shop isn't self supporting (and more) they are doing it wrong, it's busy even in winter.

Ridiculous to pay per person to see the waterfall, went the once with friends that were visiting, never again.

Won't be buying anything from the shop again if we ever drop by on the bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

smacl wrote: »
    Don't think it would cover the Wicklow Co Co case though which is a bit of a farce IMO.

I don't think Wicklow Co Co were a defendant, she was suing the NPWS.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah great amenities, one of the nicest natural features in the country and they've dropped a big dirty chipper in the middle of it, I wouldn't call it a café, especially with the stink it spreads through the whole Valley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Have called in there occasionally to buy an ice-cream when on a spin around Djouce. If they don't want me spending my money there anymore, then fine, I'll steer clear (and tell everyone else I know to do the same).

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Can anyone tell me if established "right of way" access through private property is generally marked on a map somewhere?

I was never under any illusion I would be entering private property going into the waterfall - two of the more popular entrance points require going over a fence.

I don't have a problem with being asked to pay if entering by the main gate - I see it as a a charge for the car park and playground, which is very popular. There are other ways to see the waterfall without paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

The MTB route around the top of the waterfall is fairly dodgy, especially in winter. If you fell, your fall would begin from Coillte land and end inside the Powerscourt estate - would who you sue ?

The MTB route around the top of the waterfall is fairly dodgy, especially in winter. If you fell, your fall would begin from Coillte land and end inside the Powerscourt estate - would who you sue ?

You wouldn't be around to sue anyone....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Can anyone tell me if established "right of way" access through private property is generally marked on a map somewhere?

I was never under any illusion I would be entering private property going into the waterfall - two of the more popular entrance points require going over a fence.

I don't have a problem with being asked to pay if entering by the main gate - I see it as a a charge for the car park and playground, which is very popular. There are other ways to see the waterfall without paying.

http://www.stonesolicitors.ie/rights-of-way-welcome-changes-but-not-enough/

Partly answers question.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Rights of way are marked up on PRA maps as thick yellow lines, available as an interactive map here. Don't see any in Powerscourt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

So I take it you won't need to use the toilets or grab a coffee or cycle/walk on the maintained thoroughfares?
    Others have said they use the amenities it provides but don't bother paying.

This isn't America. We don't need restaurants in places like that. If these people want everyone to pay then they can try to block off all the access points. If you can get in for free but chose to pay then you deserve it. Devils Glen, Glenmacnass and Tork in Kerry are just 3 other waterfalls I can think of where you don't have to pay. If this money is going to the upkeep of the cafe and playground then take them out. Lovely view out over Lough Tay, lets start charging for that too. Vast swathes of the population don't have a clue how beautiful our country is and if people just want to make money off it, it will stay like that.

This isn't America. We don't need restaurants in places like that. If these people want everyone to pay then they can try to block off all the access points. If you can get in for free but chose to pay then you deserve it. Devils Glen, Glenmacnass and Tork in Kerry are just 3 other waterfalls I can think of where you don't have to pay. If this money is going to the upkeep of the cafe and playground then take them out. Lovely view out over Lough Tay, lets start charging for that too. Vast swathes of the population don't have a clue how beautiful our country is and if people just want to make money off it, it will stay like that.
    Powers court is private land. The Slazangers have decided to put in amenities which more than enough people use and are happy to pay for.
    If you don't like that then I suggest you write to them and ask why.
    Details at bottom of this page http://powerscourt.com/waterfall.

Let's know how you get on.

I think a lot of people would be glad of a little coffee shack in most of the popular beauty spots around, not only a place to get refreshments in the summer, but also would mean there's someone always around to deter opportunist car thieves, you only have to look at the amount of broken car window glass at the parking areas beside these places...

Powers court is private land. The Slazangers have decided to put in amenities which more than enough people use and are happy to pay for.
    If you don't like that then I suggest you write to them and ask why.
    Details at bottom of this page http://powerscourt.com/waterfall.

Let's know how you get on.

As I've said already if they have a problem with me or thousands of other people parking up on the road above and walking down through the woods they can block it off. There's not one single sign anywhere to say you need to pay in other than on the main entrance. I wonder how many people regularly walk in that way and don't even know about paying. Do you get your knickers in a twist about them too?

• Advertisement

As I've said already if they have a problem with me or thousands of other people parking up on the road above and walking down through the woods they can block it off. There's not one single sign anywhere to say you need to pay in other than on the main entrance. I wonder how many people regularly walk in that way and don't even know about paying. Do you get your knickers in a twist about them too?

You remind me of SF in the Dail today, chastise everyone else while not doing a thing about it.:)

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people would be glad of a little coffee shack in most of the popular beauty spots around, not only a place to get refreshments in the summer, but also would mean there's someone always around to deter opportunist car thieves, you only have to look at the amount of broken car window glass at the parking areas beside these places...

That's fine but they charge €6 a head just to get in that far.

You remind me of SF in the Dail today, chastise everyone else while not doing a thing about it.:)

Sorry I don't know what you want me to do.

That's fine but they charge €6 a head just to get in that far.

Do you think they're not entitled to charge or something?
    Its on their land, they provide the amenities and the public liability insurance and the staff. They can charge if they want.
    You have a choice of paying and going in or not paying and trespassing.
    If you think there is a public right of way, prove its the case and contact the estate office to clarify.

Having been to Torc and other public amenities in Kerry which are State owned, I love somewhere to get a coffee but as access is public there's no need for amenities to be provided.

Its 6€ a head or a family of 2 adults and 3 kids for €23.

The top of he waterfall? Ive camped there and didnt know you could get down, is there a trail there? You follow the river from the little bridge on the path from the carpark to Djouce and you can actually get down from where it goes over the cliff to the bottom where all the cars are parked?

Its on their land, they provide the amenities and the public liability insurance and the staff. They can charge if they want.
    If you think there is a public right of way, prove its the case and contact the estate office to clarify.

Having been to Torc and other public amenities in Kerry which are State owned, I love somewhere to get a coffee but as access is public there's no need for amenities to be provided.

Its a complete and utter ripoff and price gouging by people who shouldnt have the right to charge for access to one of the countries nicest natural features.

Thargor wrote: »
    Its a complete and utter ripoff and price gouging by people who shouldnt have the right to charge for access to one of the countries nicest natural features.

What part of it being on their land don't you get?

Its private property. If you don't like the price, no one is forcing to to go in and pay it.
    If you want a coffee, go up to the house where you can use the facilities for free.
    Do you also think admission to the house and gardens should be free?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I think the issue is that it's on private land in the first place. Whatever about having a coffee shop, and maybe decent secured parking, having to pay to see one of the countries nice natural attractions is wrong to many people.

23 euro for a family is scandalous too, though I thought it was about 15 myself.

They can charge what they want. I'm saying I can and do avoid it and you are the one moaning about it. I'm starting to think you are somehow involved with this place! Would I be right?

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    I think the issue is that it's on private land in the first place. Whatever about having a coffee shop, and maybe decent secured parking, having to pay to see one of the countries nice natural attractions is wrong to many people.

23 euro for a family is scandalous too, though I thought it was about 15 myself.

So kilmainham, Wicklow jail , ceide fields. Nrwgrange etc should be free to by your logic

Advertisement