Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists not welcome at Powerscourt Waterfall ?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

CramCycle wrote: »
    Are these rules well signposted nowadays?

No, not really, apart from the odd "No mountain biking/Scrambling allowed" and cranky park ranger sorts...

But in general...

This is why people should join MTB clubs, or go out with experienced MTB'ers in there Road club, with the popularity of off-road cycling you now have 100's of bikers who think that they can cycle anywhere they like and that the trails they enjoy cycling and sometimes modifying, appeared by magic in the first place...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    This is why people should join MTB clubs, or go out with experienced MTB'ers in there Road club, with the popularity of off-road cycling you now have 100's of bikers who think that they can cycle anywhere they like and that the trails they enjoy cycling and sometimes modifying, appeared by magic in the first place...

Trails? in my day we brought a machete, an OS map and a compass :pac:

Like I said my experience is limited, I have never been on any of the well worn trails around Dublin so I shouldn't really comment, my recent experience has been on abandoned land around the coast of Wexford and have yet to meet other bikers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    No, not really, apart from the odd "No mountain biking/Scrambling allowed" and cranky park ranger sorts...

Quite a number of the gates around the Wicklow way are signposted as no mountain biking, along with most of the other Coillte woods that are not specifically designated MTB trails. I take the CX bike around the gravel roads regularly enough, and have always assumed the restriction was on going off road on the softer ground. Can't really see the issue tbh, other than perhaps a liability one that if a MTBer has an accident on Coillte land they have less come back as being specifically prohibited.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

smacl wrote: »
    Quite a number of the gates around the Wicklow way are signposted as no mountain biking, along with most of the other Coillte woods that are not specifically designated MTB trails. I take the CX bike around the gravel roads regularly enough, and have always assumed the restriction was on going off road on the softer ground. Can't really see the issue tbh, other than perhaps a liability one that if a MTBer has an accident on Coillte land they have less come back as being specifically prohibited.

They are very much targeted at you on the CX bike on the fireroads as much as MTBs fully off road. Nothing to do with erosion or land issues (after all, have you seen how the forests look after a bit of thining, never mind clear felling!). All about the legals etc. As one of my mates you to say about Coilte's approach... "You can do any sport you like on coilte lands, as long as it is walking".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

All about the legals etc.

I've asked a guy in a car coming down Kippure (either land or mast maintenance) if the bike ban affects only MTB bikes or all off them - he said its only for MTB, due to bog erosion.

I know its not Coilte land though.... or is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

Alek wrote: »
    I've asked a guy in a car coming down Kippure (either land or mast maintenance) if the bike ban affects only MTB bikes or all off them - he said its only for MTB, due to bog erosion.

Mast maintenance would be RTE. I <think> the land around kippure is NPWS owned, but I'm not at all 100% on that. Almost certainly not Coilte though. NPWS don't like anyone going accross the bogs, but have to tolerate walkers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I can imagine the discussion now, trying to explain the difference between mountain biking and cyclocross to someone whose only concern is getting you to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Trails? in my day we brought a machete, an OS map and a compass :pac:

Like I said my experience is limited, I have never been on any of the well worn trails around Dublin so I shouldn't really comment, my recent experience has been on abandoned land around the coast of Wexford and have yet to meet other bikers

Dust off the MTB and prepare for a tour de trails so! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Alek wrote: »

Maybe he's more comfortable with cable ties and antennas than the environment cos the Interweb says its not our fault !!!

http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/research-reveals-walkers-do-more-damage-to-trails-than-mountain-bikers-335785

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I can imagine the discussion now, trying to explain the difference between mountain biking and cyclocross to someone whose only concern is getting you to leave.
    I just pictured someone being frogmarched away shouting about how their shorts aren't even baggy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

They are very much targeted at you on the CX bike on the fireroads as much as MTBs fully off road.

Wellll...... I suspect that was the Head of Coiltes basic aim, in a "get rid of all bikes from our land" - however the by-laws that were enacted are actually quite odd.

For a start, unlike the tax-man, anything with wheels is classed as mechnically propelled vehicle in them, it even cites skateboards and bikes.

I'm pretty sure that without a person a bike isn't going anywhere unlike a car with an actual mechanical engine stuck in gear but thats by the by and not something to get hung up on.

It also states in the by-laws that "mechanically propelled vehicles" are only allowed on trails specifically put in place for them. So if there is a trail for a Coilte jeep (ie a fireroad) which is a mechanically propelled vehicle then a CX bike is fine on that trail. I suspect that the Coilte leaflets and signs were worded "creatively" to put empathsis (sp) on getting all bikes off land owned by Coilte full stop, whereas the spirit/intention of the by-laws was to stop some eager beavers creating mtb trails through the woods (and moor tops/SSSI like that redbull event that caused to much grief back in the day).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

saccades wrote: »
    It also states in the by-laws that "mechanically propelled vehicles" are only allowed on trails specifically put in place for them. So if there is a trail for a Coilte jeep (ie a fireroad) which is a mechanically propelled vehicle then a CX bike is fine on that trail. I suspect that the Coilte leaflets and signs were worded "creatively" to put empathsis (sp) on getting all bikes off land owned by Coilte full stop, whereas the spirit/intention of the by-laws was to stop some eager beavers creating mtb trails through the woods (and moor tops/SSSI like that redbull event that caused to much grief back in the day).

Works for me, though I'll also take note of the 'not even wearing baggy shorts' line should the need arise. Their off road cycling strategy does seem very focussed onto penning cyclists into a small number of designated cycling trails, and work with clubs to some extent in expanding those trails.

I tend to use the fire roads to explore a bit, mixing road and light off road cycling, so the designated trails have no real interest for me. Main issue with most of the Coillte tracks is they're dead ends and involve a lot of doubling back. Some of the heavy grade sharp surfacing gravel can also be a bit tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

I'm pretty sure that although the stated aim may well be to work with clubs I can't recall seeing any evidence of it since Kindlestown back in the day.

We are a necessary evil, required to get/keep ISO accreditation which makes their wood more valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Trained Monkey

Hi all, can waterfall be accessed at the moment. Website says its closed. I have no problem hopping a fence or whatever to see it. I'll post them on the fiver in the new year ðŸ˜႒ seriously tho all advice appreciated. Pm me if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thats uncanny, I was just thinking about this thread yesterday.

Can someone please explain how people cycle into Powerscourt without paying the fee? Is it something to do with the route from Crone Woods carpark to Djouce? Ive been there and followed the Dargle to the top of the waterfalls but it would be suicide to try and bring a bike down there into the estate, I just cant figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

You can park in the car park on Old Long Hill I think it's called? Then follow the forest track down to the river. River is usually easy to get across. Lots of tracks around there check Strava segment search to find them.

This car park? So theres a track in there down to the estate park with the cafe etc?

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.1556874,-6.1867792,3a,79y,268.82h,89.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMqKoW903TnDOmiHwbRuAwA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Any time Ive ever seen people talking about it though it sounds like they come down along beside the falls or over in that area, maybe Im just misunderstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

There's lots of routes down from the various car parks in Djouce. Maybe easiest one is to ride from the car park down to the old reservoir and then follow the trail on the LHS of the river down towards Powerscourt. Its known as the Earls Drive and is allegedly haunted :-)

There's lots of routes down from the various car parks in Djouce. Maybe easiest one is to ride from the car park down to the old reservoir and then follow the trail on the LHS of the river down towards Powerscourt. Its known as the Earls Drive and is allegedly haunted :-)
    Thanks but the problem is theres loads of posts like this going back years if you do a search but they're just too vague, what carpark? What/where is the old reservoir?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Thargor wrote: »
    This car park? So theres a track in there down to the estate park with the cafe etc?

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.1556874,-6.1867792,3a,79y,268.82h,89.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMqKoW903TnDOmiHwbRuAwA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Any time Ive ever seen people talking about it though it sounds like they come down along beside the falls or over in that area, maybe Im just misunderstanding.

Yeah that's the one. Head left out of the car park on the forest track and keep right at the fork. The track then turns sharply to the right and a little bit further on the left you will see a wide path leading steeply down the hill towards the river. There is a little pathway leading to a rocky dam over the river then follow path up to the waterfall. Just for the love of God, don't use the "amenities"!
    P.s if you can get your hands on one of those EastWest maps it will give you a fair idea where you can go. There's another path down too called Earls Drive I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement