Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused about pensions and divorce

Options
  • 05-04-2016 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi, This is probably a legal question, but any advice appreciated. The solicitors seem a bit unsure.

My boyfriend has been legally separated from his wife for 10 years. She wants a divorce. However, her solicitor says that my boyfriend has to pay 20,000 to his wife on divorce for her to waive pension rights in the future.

He just took out a new pension a year ago.

They divided pensions on the separation agreement, he bought her a house outright (remortgaged) and is now struggling to make ends meet (negative equity, mortgage and outgoings more than incomings) - he doesn't have that money.

What to do? We have a child together and I don't really want to end up with a tiny proportion of his pension.:(
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Legal advice is your best bet here tbh, pensions are a fairly complex area.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mangotracy

Thanks, I know we have got legal advice. It just seems like other people I know have been told different things by solicitors.

Has anyone else been through this and can let me know their story?

Has anyone else taken out a pension plan and then paid an amount to the wife on divorce?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

mod note
    Sorry this is way too specific and as you call out crosses the line to legal advice.
    Irrespective of what others may have been advised not all situations are the same and only a solicitor in full receipt of all the facts is qualified to advise here.

Thread closed.

Addendum
    Been advised to recommend he speak with an independent pension advisor as well..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement