Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones Park and Ride - capacity issues

Options
  • 05-04-2016 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Am I alone in finding that the Park and Ride carpark in Greystones is usually full by 10:00 am, and that there are many cars parked on footpaths by midday? The carpark on La Touche Road, on the sea-side of the railway station, is often also full.

Can anyone tell me if there any plans to provide additional parking spaces (perhaps by permitting all day parking in the public carpark in front of Greystones Town Council) if the economy continues to improve and demand grows further?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

I think if they provide all day parking there then there wouldn't be many parking opportunities for people who want to visit Greystones for the day, rather than park-and-ride to leave it. The park-and-ride is really for the commuter, would you not agree? So of course, it's going to be full by 10am.

Of course, this isn't much use to the commuter who doesn't happen to need to be in Dublin for 9am, but not everyone can be catered for.

No use bemoaning a giant free car park - very lucky to have it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I rarely have issues during the day.

Spaces closest to the exits fill up very quickly but there are usually many spaces towards the football pitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

More people will be using the park and ride car park now that the doctor's surgery is open beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    More people will be using the park and ride car park now that the doctor's surgery is open beside it.

Not if it's already full by 9am.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The Darts now take so long and because they are infrequent to Greystones I have resorted to driving to Bray. Free parking a short walk from the station. The drive only takes another 10 minutes. The wait is so much shorter if I miss the Dart home.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    The Darts now take so long and because they are infrequent to Greystones I have resorted to driving to Bray. Free parking a short walk from the station. The drive only takes another 10 minutes. The wait is so much shorter if I miss the Dart home.

Gonna be longer when the 10 minute DARTs kick in... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Anyway..why is it called Park and Ride? Surely it's Park and Walk (and Ride) or if you're late Park and Run..just a thought.. :-)

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    Anyway..why is it called Park and Ride? Surely it's Park and Walk (and Ride) or if you're late Park and Run..just a thought..

unless you're parking your car on the train, there's always going to be some walk involved.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

LEIN wrote: »
    Gonna be longer when the 10 minute DARTs kick in... :mad:

I guess more people will end up doing what I have been doing for over a year and driving to Bray.

When is this due to happen?

Was due to start on Monday but it has been pushed back until a deal can be struck with drivers.

• Advertisement

the journey times will be longer to Bray as well, but there will be more frequent trains to Bray whilst the frequency to Greystones will remain every 30 mins. Where do you park in Bray for free and how late are spaces available?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

loyatemu wrote: »
    the journey times will be longer to Bray as well, but there will be more frequent trains to Bray whilst the frequency to Greystones will remain every 30 mins.

Which would make sense on the basis it takes ~8 mins to travel to Bray - a 10 minute service would mean no chance of a train ever returning to Greystones (or visa versa):pac:

legrand wrote: »
    Which would make sense on the basis it takes ~8 mins to travel to Bray - a 10 minute service would mean no chance of a train ever returning to Greystones (or visa versa):pac:

A 20 minute service (i.e. every 2nd train) is maybe just about doable but it would require pinpoint punctuality, not something Irish Rail is renowned for. Also the drivers would have to sprint from one end of the train to the other in Greystones, and they'd definitely want more money for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

In regards to people parking on the footpath - the same few cars every single morning are parking in the blatant non-spaces in the park'n'ride blocking the ramps providing access up to the footpath (you know who you are, large white SUV!!), and this at a time when theres still heaps of empty spaces (between half 7 and 8). there will always be selfish people who do this rather than walk an extra 20 steps.

id never use the park'n'ride if dublin bus put on more 84X's in the morning and later in the evenings but dont reckon theres any chance of that any time soon!!. i agree it will be interesting to see what happens when the dart schedule changes. will there still an 08:30 dart? thanks.

eleMental wrote: »
    In regards to people parking on the footpath - the same few cars every single morning are parking in the blatant non-spaces in the park'n'ride blocking the ramps providing access up to the footpath (you know who you are, large white SUV!!), and this at a time when theres still heaps of empty spaces (between half 7 and 8). there will always be selfish people who do this rather than walk an extra 20 steps.

id never use the park'n'ride if dublin bus put on more 84X's in the morning and later in the evenings but dont reckon theres any chance of that any time soon!!. i agree it will be interesting to see what happens when the dart schedule changes. will there still an 08:30 dart? thanks.

Think that DART will be pushed out to in or around 08:35.

new Dart timetable unlikely to come in until November now apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Chaos will ensue if this is ever implemented. The current timetable is stretched to capacity as it is.

Certain DARTs are frequently stopped between Landsdowne & GCD on the way in to allow traffic up ahead to get throug Pearse. It is still common to have to wait outside Bray station (heading South) for the platform to clear there. The Merrion Gates & Sandymount Gates already cause traffic chaos - now they will be down twice as long. The 16.59 Southbound DART from Tara St is almost always late because 2 diesel trains going to Pearse before it are almost always late.

You have to wonder how much proper research they put in.

Advertisement