Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dandruff or product build up?

Options
  • 05-04-2016 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

I don't know if it's a really dry scalp, dandruff or product build up.
    I wash my hair usually once a week ago r every five days.
    I washed it Saturday, but I had to wash it again yesterday as there were loads of white flakes.
    Today is the same, even though I thought I was quite careful to rinse it properly.
    I have thick longish hair and it's brightly dyed so I was slow to try anti dandruff shampoo but I think I've no other option now. My scalp looks covered :-( it's not itchy though.
    Would anyone have any advice or suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Have you tried a clarifying shampoo to remove any build up?

When I was unsure whether I had dandruff or build up I would use a clarifying shampoo and a good conditioner and some heat protectant spray and nothing else, absolutely nothing at all or instead of a conditioner I would use the Hask oil from Penneys or a leave in conditioner, one or the other.

Did this for a few weeks and it became apparent quite quickly that it was dandruff. I gave it a few weeks because I'd read somewhere that it can take a few washes (I wash my hair once a week) for all product build up to be removed. How true this is I don't know.

I've since discovered that I have dandruff, I have a thread about it here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98982584

I've been using the Deep Steep products since and have noticed a HUGE difference in my hair. I can't believe it.

My hair doesn't get greasy until the 3rd or 4rd day now and at that, its barely noticeable, something a tiny bit of dry shampoo would sort out, and I'm good for another day or two.

I wash my hair once a week, and I condition it every two weeks, once a week is too much for me to use the repairing conditioner, so on the weeks I don't condition I use a leave in mask/conditioner and that works wonders for me as the lengths of my hair are dry.

I also don't use much heat, rarely use hot tools, let my hair dry naturally and then a blast of the luke warm air setting on the hair dryer for a few mins is all it needs.

I would definitely recommend the Deep Steep products (only ever seen them in TK Maxx though), they have a range of stuff. I went with the repairing ones as they were all that was in stock in my local TK Maxx when I was there but they do have them in regularly.

They have a shampoo/conditioner for coloured hair which might be worth a look? I don't have coloured hair so I'm not much use with help but maybe these might work, I don't know.

https://www.deepsteep.com/index.php/collections/deep-steep-collections/hair-care/color-vibrancy-shampoo.html#.VwQQyKQrKM8

https://www.deepsteep.com/index.php/collections/deep-steep-collections/hair-care/color-vibrancy-conditioner.html

TK Maxx also have other sulfate free hair care which might be worth a look. I can safely say that regular (ie: non sulfate free hair care) was my biggest contributor, its not like that for everyone obviously, but it was for me.

My dandruff is massively reduced and is getting better doubt I'll ever get rid of it but if its just a small bit I can deal with that, its mostly at the back of my head so not as noticeable and I usually have my hair tied up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Flakes on your scalp can be either dandruff (most common, thankfully) or psoriasis. Sulphate free products are the way to go for both complaints. Are the flakes on your scalp only or is your hairline (face, behind ears) affected too?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭gem898

Tesco have an offer on the L'Oreal elvive pure range at the moment if you want to give sulphate free a try on a budget!

Advertisement