Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The location of this "The Commitments" photo!

Options
  • 05-04-2016 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

Hi there -

I wonder does anyone know where this famous photo of The Commitments was taken?
    Help is *greatly* appreciated - thanks!

The-Commitments_zpsdahgnomf.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

think is what down around the summer hill & gardiner street area. used to be a lot of old tenanment buildings down around there and the place was a kip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

^ That tallies nicely with the chimney on Hannover Quay which is the background of that scene, not the photo in the OP but elsewhere in the scene.

Obviously the gas tank was gone at time of shooting.
    Glencullen.jpg

from http://www.turtlebunbury.com/published/published_books/docklands/grand_canal_docks/pub_books_docklands_gcd_hanoverquay.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

tricky D wrote: »
    ^ That tallies nicely with the chimney on Hannover Quay which is the background of that scene, not the photo in the OP but elsewhere in the scene.

Obviously the gas tank was gone at time of shooting.

pretty sure the Gasometer was still there in 91.

edit: yeah, dismantled in 93/94 http://www.rte.ie/archives/2014/0217/504821-dismantling-the-gasometer/

I'll ask some one who should know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Crosbys gaff has a rehearsal studio in it across from that pic too. I've not seen the film in years though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Only because I was born in the old tenements Summerhill and had family live there all their lives I'm guessing Summerhill, Sean Mc or Gardiner St. more so that anywhere southside.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The picture is effectively a still from the movie isn't it? That is, they show the photo being taken in the movie. So that scene itself might provide more clues in terms of the location?

It's Pimlico/Cork St area according to some one in the scene but not in that still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Gloucester Place, just off Sean McDermot Street when they were clearing the old tenements for the playground on Gardiner Street...I think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Gloucester Place, just off Sean McDermot Street when they were clearing the old tenements for the playground on Gardiner Street...I think?

That's where I'm thinking about too.

What was the name of the pub on Sean Mc Street?. Can't remember at the moment, but I remember it being one of the last buildings left on the street and I'd a few pints there back in around '85.

Can't remember the name right now

*** Edit, I found it

382600.jpg

Murrays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

That's where I'm thinking about too.

What was the name of the pub on Sean Mc Street?. Can't remember at the moment, but I remember it being one of the last buildings left on the street and I'd a few pints there back in around '85.

Can't remember the name right now

*** Edit, I found it

382600.jpg

Murrays.
    Spot on Mak ;)

Class photo with the old Honda CB250N Superdream outside the bar :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Wow! Thanks so much!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If that side of the city, I think the photo would have been taken close to where the new 'Rutland Street' school is on the Gloucester Diamond, as the tenement buildings are slightly on a hill from the actors - probably the far side of Gardiner Street from Murray's pub.

See the photos to the bottom of this page.

Having re-watched the film though, I think the earlier southside location mentioned might be more likely, because of the skinny chimney in the shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

spurious wrote: »
    If that side of the city, I think the photo would have been taken close to where the new 'Rutland Street' school is on the Gloucester Diamond, as the tenement buildings are slightly on a hill from the actors - probably the far side of Gardiner Street from Murray's pub.

See the photos to the bottom of this page.

Having re-watched the film though, I think the earlier southside location mentioned might be more likely, because of the skinny chimney in the shot.

I've downloaded the film, gonna watch it this weekend!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

How about locating the cast? Some of them have disappeared from the media.

edbrez wrote: »
    How about locating the cast? Some of them have disappeared from the media.
    I did (Jimmy Rabbitte) and he says Cork St/Pimlico area.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,276 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Barrytown?
    :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

What's he doing these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 SalthillHead

I think it's Ellis quay. Always associated that photo with that area growing up around there. If it is, the building in the background is still there. The windows seems to match up. I cant post links but if you google ellis quay, there's a photo from the same time with a similar building .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 SalthillHead

the website is dublin before the tiger and the photo is called ellis quay looking toward benburb street 1988

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Yeah, the Coombe end of Cork St. Still a few gob****e buildings that can't stand up for falling down.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3387956,-6.2783943,3a,75y,196.67h,102.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swKXJ2Dswj7iaRfwNTu0yjQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Can't say for sure if they're the ones...but they'd do for inner city derliction.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Love him. Tell him I said hi :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I assume the people behind this thread also got on to Broadsheet, who have answered the question:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/04/20/take-them-to-the-river/

Yes, Cork St/Pimlico was the right answer, specifically Bond St.

Advertisement