Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Partridge Superthread - Sponsored by Dettol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Thought it was very good. Captured the vacuousness of those one show type programmes, and the little details were great. They have plenty of room to manoeuvre with Alan's co host with her stealing his funny lines etc. Will hopefully lead to a Toblerone influenced breakdown towards the end of the series.

Loved:

The wife/chocolates/antibiotic metaphor
    Lynn telling the host that she is allowed to be there
    Alan not giving in until the woman he previously spilled shandy on agreed with him
    Alan having a woman accompany him to stand outside the men's bathroom, because a man loitering there that can "be fraught with ambiguity"
    Alan's cotton candy story
    The hacktivist reading out Alan's emails and google search history
    Alan's giraffe impression
    Alan being caught operating the lift

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

“.......,very creamy hands.....”

did Alan get aroused watching her wash her hands??

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

With regards to the episode, it's ridiculous that they have Alan on a mainstream BBC show in this day and age. It would never happen, so the concept of the show is totally off. I'll watch it because I love Partridge/Coogan, but it is making me sad that something that was once so great hasn't been funny in a long time.

Really?

Gyles-Brandreth-606942.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

fryup wrote: »
    did Alan get aroused watching her wash her hands??

The pervy mutterings under his breath and was laughing at the line when she said “ I could demonstrate right here in the lab,if you want”.... with Alan replying ....”No,no we mustn’t ....”, I thought that was class

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Completely forgot this was on tonight - anyone know if it's repeated? Can't see it on the BBC One Guide for the next week & well iPlayer doesn't like to work in Ireland even with Chromes attachments...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭De Bhál

A few laughs but really I could've turned it off only I'm fan of his.
    I'll give it more time for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Completely forgot this was on tonight - anyone know if it's repeated? Can't see it on the BBC One Guide for the next week & well iPlayer doesn't like to work in Ireland even with Chromes attachments...:pac:

Check the listings for digital television channel U.K. Conquest. Might be on after Skirmish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

"...Chinaman Square..."

• Registered Users Posts: 72,579 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Will hopefully lead to a Toblerone influenced breakdown towards the end of the series.

I’m guessing Jenny will finally snap and have a go at Alan, like Susan did on his final night in the travel tavern. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

jooksavage wrote: »
    "...Chinaman Square..."

Probably the only genuine laugh i got out of it tbh....:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

'You're the third lowest paid at North Norfolk Digital, and you're on two grand less than a guy called Wally Banter'

IMG-5294.png

• Registered Users Posts: 72,579 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Guess who’s back in the big time!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I thought overall it was great, but it did have some dud moments. They went a bit too far with it considering it was the first episode. Thought there'd be more of a build-up as the week progressed. Miming washing his hands in the train was definitely the worst bit, just felt too forced with the rest, as did the idea that just because they brought Alan in as a guest host, that Sidekick Simon would be given a slot on it too.

That said, some great bits too. The Hacktivist bit ended poorly, but him reading Alan's emails was great. Lolly Adefope (forget her name in the programme) disagreeing with everything Alan said was perfect, particularly the end "We'll have more from her tomorrow" "I'm off tomorrow...". His story about Grandad Graham, and the Clunt/Fluck confusion were great too. Plus great seeing Lynn back. His tension with the co-host, and her stealing his jokes could play out really well too.

Will look forward to the rest anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I laughed out loud at several points, it was (as someone has already said) quite like a television version of MMM (with a bit of KMKY thrown in). Some segments worked better than others, but Alan was quality throughout.

It might have been better if they'd just stuck with the on-camera stuff; the Sidekick Simon segment wasn't great - it also seems unrealistic that Alan would have been able to bring him onto the show with him for a temporary gig.

Best gag: "Hygiene!"

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

Simon Denton wiping his nose on his sleeve :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭.red.

I thought it was ok.
    Some very funny scenes but others were very poor. Hopefully it gets better as it has the potential.

The hand washing was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Really?

Gyles-Brandreth-606942.jpg

Did I miss the bit where Gyles shot and killed a man live on air, or assaulted the head of BBC with a piece of cheese, or are we just totally disregarding Alan's history? :P

Saw this comment on the Guardian website (which gave the show a 5 star review...of course they did; they love Coogan there)

"The writing is too undisciplined, like they wanted to jam every idea they thought of in there, even getting sidekick simon involved when it wasn't needed instead of having a few well written jokes. The main problem is that old partridge was surreal thanks to Ianucci and Baynham, and the directing style matches the tone. The new stuff is too clean and realistic in its presentation, so when something unrealistic happens it just feels awkward and out of place."

That is exactly what is missing; the old surreal Alan. Alan is a surreal character; he doesn't fit in with normal people. That's why he surrounded himself with people like Lynn, Michael, Sidekick Simon, Sonya...people he felt superior too and could bully when needed. Nobody else would tolerate his ****. His wife left him, and his kids don't talk to him. I don't like that Alan has changed from being a nasty, petty piece of work to someone that they are trying to make more likeable. I also don't think Alan would bring Sidekick Simon on his new show; he would want all the attention for himself and would never share the limelight. It's just catering to fans bringing Simon in. It would have been better to have Simon working as a writer for Alan feeding him lines and jokes, some of which overstep the mark :)

Guess who’s back in the big time!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess who's big in the back time!!!!!!!

Did I miss the bit where Gyles shot and killed a man live on air, or assaulted the head of BBC with a piece of cheese, or are we just totally disregarding Alan's history? :P

Alan's biography explains this quite satisfactorily. He's an innocent man in the eyes of the law and I think it's frankly a bit ruddy much to be bringing it up 20 years after the fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

I thought it was good, some very funny bits, some that didn't work quite so well.
    Reading over the last comments have reminded me of some of the funnier bits and i think a re-watch is in order.

Ultimately its great to have new Partridge. But i dont think it will ever better some the earlier stuff and thats what we are comparing the new series to.

Saw this comment on the Guardian website (which gave the show a 5 star review...of course they did; they love Coogan there)

"The writing is too undisciplined, like they wanted to jam every idea they thought of in there, even getting sidekick simon involved when it wasn't needed instead of having a few well written jokes. The main problem is that old partridge was surreal thanks to Ianucci and Baynham, and the directing style matches the tone. The new stuff is too clean and realistic in its presentation, so when something unrealistic happens it just feels awkward and out of place."

That is exactly what is missing; the old surreal Alan. Alan is a surreal character; he doesn't fit in with normal people. That's why he surrounded himself with people like Lynn, Michael, Sidekick Simon, Sonya...people he felt superior too and could bully when needed. Nobody else would tolerate his ****. His wife left him, and his kids don't talk to him. I don't like that Alan has changed from being a nasty, petty piece of work to someone that they are trying to make more likeable. I also don't think Alan would bring Sidekick Simon on his new show; he would want all the attention for himself and would never share the limelight. It's just catering to fans bringing Simon in. It would have been better to have Simon working as a writer for Alan feeding him lines and jokes, some of which overstep the mark :)

the current writers did MMM, Alpha Papa, the Sky specials and both books - they know how to write for the character. I agree about Simon though, it's not realistic the Beeb would have let him on the show when Alan's only there as a stand-in.

loyatemu wrote: »
    the current writers did MMM, Alpha Papa, the Sky specials and both books - they know how to write for the character. I agree about Simon though, it's not realistic the Beeb would have let him on the show when Alan's only there as a stand-in.

I agree the Gibbons brothers started brilliantly, writing MMM series one and I, Partridge, but it has been downhill since. Alpha Papa had some laughs, but the specials were nothing special, and MMM 2 was just not funny at all. Iannucci stepped away after MMM1 (he had some limited input with Alpha Papa) and I think they have lost their way since.

The 'creamy hands' bit in last night's episode was the only bit that felt truly like vintage Alan.

Was watching MMM1 last night just to remind myself how good it was. Alan was arguing with a caller who didn't know the word 'idiom' and thought Alan was calling him an idiot. Alan told him he was an idiot for not knowing what an idiom was, and that he was confused, thinking Alan had just substituted a t for an m. Alan then called him a smupid gimm, and a momal mwam, before Simon fed Alan the line "you're a compleme cunm" :pac::pac::pac:

I agree the Gibbons brothers started brilliantly, writing MMM series one and I, Partridge, but it has been downhill since. Alpha Papa had some laughs, but the specials were nothing special, and MMM 2 was just not funny at all. Iannucci stepped away after MMM1 (he had some limited input with Alpha Papa) and I think they have lost their way since.

The 'creamy hands' bit in last night's episode was the only bit that felt truly like vintage Alan.

Alpha Papa was brilliant, I think you need to drive to Dundee and eat some Toblerone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Acosta

The Scissored Isle special is one of the best episodes of Partridge that's ever been. I've watched it several times. I nearly soiled myself more than once.

Mid Morning Matters was a great idea and I think both seasons are excellent. I would have loved another one, but I think it's great that they always go a new direction just when you're getting comfortable with his surroundings. Thought the movie was excellent also, but not as good as MMM. It was as good as I hoped it would be considering I was a bit fearful before seeing it.

I will reserve ultimate judgement on the new series until it's finished, but it was a very good start. In terms of laughs, if you get plenty of good laughs and a couple of nearly falling off the couch belly laughs, then it's a good episode. It had that for me. It was as funny as a good episode of MMM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I think the issue with the work of Gibbons’ is that it’s just not Alan (most of the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The reviews are all over the place, some publications are giving 5 stars while others 1 or 2.

I have to say that personally I was hugely disappointed, this is probably the first ever piece of Partridge related material that I didn't laugh at. :(

It just didn't feel like Alan at all to me.

I got a really sick feeling about half way in. I was like oh no, it's crap. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

The reviews are all over the place, some publications are giving 5 stars while others 1 or 2.

I have to say that personally I was hugely disappointed, this is probably the first ever piece of Partridge related material that I didn't laugh at. :(

It just didn't feel like Alan at all to me.

I got a really sick feeling about half way in. I was like oh no, it's crap. :(

There's a lot to be said about the writing being a bit off, but I don't think Coogan's delivery is the same anymore. Alan's mannerisms have all changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭brian_t

I see the overnight ratings have Warren at 3.83m (20.7%)
    and
    This Time with Alan Partridge at 3.3m (18.2%)

Not looking good.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2302221/the-ratings-thread-part-72/p490

Advertisement