Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Partridge Superthread - Sponsored by Dettol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

brian_t wrote: »
    I see the overnight ratings have Warren at 3.83m (20.7%)
    and
    This Time with Alan Partridge at 3.3m (18.2%)

Not looking good.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2302221/the-ratings-thread-part-72/p490

The ratings were a ninth of what we could have expected, they started badly, they got worse...

Whoo... whoo do you think you are?

Alan in Big Brother
    Alan in the Jungle
    Alan being interviewed as Alan
    Alan on Twitter as an influencer

Will we see any of the above in this series?

Anything other than that setting last night would have been more believable and probably much more fun - I know there are big fans here and I know I'm in the minority but just felt it hasn't moved on from 20 years ago and it should have in some capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Alan in Big Brother
    Alan in the Jungle
    Alan being interviewed as Alan
    Alan on Twitter as an influencer

Will we see any of the above in this series?

Anything other than that setting last night would have been more believable and probably much more fun - I know there are big fans here and I know I'm in the minority but just felt it hasn't moved on from 20 years ago and it should have in some capacity.
    They will be filming another Partridge series soon according to this interview with the Gibbons twins

"There is more in the tank, too. Filming will soon start on a different Partridge series, a Dimbleby-style grand sweep of British history in which he will “probably bite off more than he can chew”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/this-time-alan-partridge-interview-gibbons-bbc-cast-release-date-steve-coogan-iplayer-a8792061.html

That is exactly what is missing; the old surreal Alan. Alan is a surreal character; he doesn't fit in with normal people. That's why he surrounded himself with people like Lynn, Michael, Sidekick Simon, Sonya...people he felt superior too and could bully when needed. Nobody else would tolerate his ****. His wife left him, and his kids don't talk to him. I don't like that Alan has changed from being a nasty, petty piece of work to someone that they are trying to make more likeable.
    I rewatched the entire Partridge canon over the last few months and there is a very noticeable change in how he treats Sidekick Simon in MMM1 & MMM2. He's is much more of a bully in 1 than in 2 but personally I like it that way just because when it was mostly him and Simon in the with no other regular characters it made me feel bad for Simon and really dislike Alan at times because it was so relentless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maybe it's an age thing; it's kinda surreal to think how Coogan is effectively the same age as Partridge was meant to be around the original incarnation. Perspectives shift, that sort of thing. Might be harder for Coogan to find the farce of middle age, now that he is middle aged?

• Advertisement

I couldn't watch this until this evening so I avoided this thread like the black plague flying aids but I liked it. It will surely improve and was not without it's faults but I laughed enough to be happy with it.

Anyone who disagrees with me probably still thinks the petrol cap on a Ford Focus is on the offside rear. pacman.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I just rewatched it. It was actually better second time around. I think it's because I wasn't expecting much. This time I even give the odd slight hehe, whereas the first one was just smiles. Jenny's voice breaking when Alan mentions her separation was perfect.

I'm looking forward to episode 2 now.

Also I legitimately felt bad for Alan when he told the story about his grandpa :(

Dare I say it- Blazing Saddles hasn't aged well either.

*runs*

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Dare I say it- Blazing Saddles hasn't aged well either.

*runs*

Stop running so I can get a decent shot, plenty. There's a good lad :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Alan commenting on Lynn's baptism: "it was like a very moving sheep-dip"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Just watched This Time earlier - expected better, seemed to be overshadowed by the whole premise of the show and wasn't giggling inside as much as I would have with his earlier stuff.
    Dunno, maybe it will get better, woulda been better if it was just him and a subordinate instead of being a guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Completely forgot this was on tonight - anyone know if it's repeated? Can't see it on the BBC One Guide for the next week & well iPlayer doesn't like to work in Ireland even with Chromes attachments...:pac:

Found it.... :)

Not side splitting but funny nonetheless! Looking forward to Monday! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Liked the part when he asks when you should wash your hands, she says after going to the toilet, when you handle raw meat, Partridge says 'now thats not a euphemism for the first one?'

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Ferajacka

I cringed a lot on the first watch and missed some of the jokes. Watched it a second time, thought it was better on a second watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

loyatemu wrote: »
    Alpha Papa was brilliant, I think you need to drive to Dundee and eat some Toblerone.

Alpha Papa was mediocre I thought. Colm Meaney's character felt so out of place, like he was just shoehorned in to have a name attached to the film besides Coogan. Read Coogan's book recently and even he thinks it was a bit meh.

Scissored Isle was the best Partridge thing since I'm Alan Partridge. Alan working the checkouts in Tesco (Go carefully now my love!), playing 'speakball' with the inner city youths and getting monged on half an E, going freeganning and ending getting locked in the warehouse for the weekend.

Hope Michael see's Alan back on the BBC, and turns up at the studio before the end of this series!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Watched it last night. I thought it was good, with some genuinely laugh out loud moments. :)

Hopefully the rest of the series can keep up the laughs.

Alan reviewed sandwiches for GQ magazine!

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/alan-partridge-sandwich-review

Twenty-five years. A life sentence. A man freed after 25 years in jail would see the world through quite flabbergasted eyes. What would he make of, say, contactless bank cards or Tinder or Paddy McGuinness? Yes, his would be a fascinating perspective (the convict's, not Paddy's).Since I’ve been asked to fill in on BBC magazine show This Time, 25 years after my last BBC presenting gig, it occurred to me I’ve served my own life sentence. Perhaps not the kind demanded by the family of the man I shot dead on air, but a life sentence nonetheless. And like the newly freed convict I mentioned in paragraph one, my time away leaves me well placed to consider how the world (of TV) has changed and turn it into this thinkpiece for GQ.

In it, I will look at the rise of multichannel, HD technology and diversity – the key drivers of what Alan Shearer calls “the medium’s discernible paradigm shift”. I will touch on the BBC’s funding model, the rise of streaming and the insistence of quirky regional accents for on-screen "talent".

I’ll come to all of these shortly, but first a brief word on refreshments. Because the most obvious difference between then and now is the sandwich selection at lunch!

In the Nineties, we came live from Television Centre in Shepherd’s Bush, but with that building now turned into ace apartments owned by people who don’t live there, the BBC has upped sticks to New Broadcasting House, Central London. Back at TVC, lunch was limited to something-with-chips in the BBC club or a panini from the ground floor cafe. Beyond that, well you were stranded in the no-man’s-land of West London. What could you do? Venture into Shepherd’s Bush, with its chicken shops and outdoor market? Risk a fry-up from a cafe with chairs screwed to the floor?
    No. Lunch back then was a miserable affair. Little wonder BBC presenters made do with a liquid diet, rendering them tipsy enough in the afternoons to commit the industrial-scale sexual harassment for which the Corporation is now famous.

Since the Beeb’s relocation, though, we’re bang smack in the heart of London’s lunching district, with a cornucopia of choice for even the most discerning sandwich fancier. Not keen on grabbing a bite in the BBC’s subsidised cafe? Fine. I invite you to walk down Regent’s Street and marvel at the choice of branded sandwich outlets.
    Look to your right and you’re greeted straight away by the mustard-yellow sign of an Eat. These guys don’t muck about and it’s little wonder they punctuate the name with a full stop – a reminder, to me at least, (when you’re) full, stop. Now, Eat always sells a good sarnie. The team there opt for a thick-cut granary, a superb all-rounder and the perfect loaf for a really, really satisfying sandwich. If you’ve no meetings that afternoon and aren’t worried about your breath, try the tuna and cucumber, the vinegary flakes of tuna meat set off by chunks of cool, refreshing vegetable. Are its sandwiches perfect? No. The BLT comes with bacon so floppy and undercooked the rind is translucent and resembles silicone jelly. It’s, to my eyes, absolutely disgusting. But that’s a mere blip on an otherwise faultless sarnie setup.

Don’t fancy Eat? No problem! Cross the road and you’re welcomed by the sight of a Pret A Manger ("Ready To Munch"). When it comes to butties, Pret and Eat are two peas from the same pod – a notch up price-wise from your budget offerings – and hard to separate. Perhaps Pret is a smidge more generous with the mayo spoon, perhaps its bacon is given a touch longer in the pan, leaving it less flaccid and see-through than that of its near neighbour. But Pret and Eat are great options and I have no hesitation in recommending them.

Want more? You got it. A few yards south, you’ll find Starbucks, the tax-canny US coffee chain whose sandwich range, while limited, is well worth checking out if Eat or Pret ain't yo thang.

Those who like their sandwiches hot and round might like to try a "burger" from quick-food giants McDonald's – and while connoisseurs will quibble at my classifying a burger as a sandwich, I stand by it. It’s meat wedged between bread; and, I’m sorry, that is a sandwich. Try the chicken sandwich (I shan’t add the Mc) for creamy white, piping hot breast meat in a zingy, flour-based coating. Finger lickin’ good.

Back across the road, for those with more money than sense, you can pick up a sandwich from an array of shops that together sound like the members of a bad boyband: Leon, Paul, Joe (& The Juice). The latter in particular isn’t my bag. Staffed by preening take-your-timers, it’s a coffee and smoothie shop for those whose answer to the question “When would you like your drink?” is “In about ten minutes.” But if pushed, you can buy sandwiches from any of them and that’s something to be celebrated.

Think the list ends there? Think again. Toddle into Topshop, take the escalator down past the bras and sandals and what’s this? Another Eat, less than 300 yards from the last one, a quirk of branch strategy for which someone at head office must have been torn a new one. It’s not quite as roomy as the flagship restaurant I mentioned earlier and, being an in-store concession, your sandwich is going to be accompanied by the taste of perfume, but it’s a great option for those in a rush who have ducked into Topshop to use the toilet or hide from an associate.

So that’s sandwiches dealt with. But what of the myriad other changes in the world of television?

Oh, and there’s Boots as well. Lots of people overlook Boots when it comes to sandwiches, but don’t overlook Boots. Although pre-packed on a worryingly vague earlier date, these tasty, well made bread snacks are lightyears better than they were in the past, when their sandwich offering was blighted by a practice known as "central packing| - an all-too-common ruse that sees the filling bunched into the centre of the sandwich. When sliced through the middle and presented in cross-section, it gave the illusion of a plump, generously filled sandwich. It’s only after buying one that you find the filling tapers at the edges down to a barren tundra of unoccupied bread. Whether it was due to my letters or some other reason, Boots are no longer guilty of this and are now a byword for quite excellent pre-packed sandwiches.

So you see, today’s BBC telly makers enjoy a breadth of sandwich choice that their Nineties counterparts could only have dreamt of.
    I had hoped to discuss other changes in television but I’ve hit my word count now. Thank you.

Also when Alan was called a w*nker walking down the street that was a direct callback to this scene from I'm Alan Partridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Re-watched it again last night and found it far better the second time around.
    Really looking forward to the rest of the series.

Hygiene - Hi

The bit where they read out a tweet and Alan thinks the person is on air!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I also liked Lynn unsubtly implying the co-presenter was a hooker after she stole Alans joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

loyatemu wrote: »
    I also liked Lynn unsubtly implying the co-presenter was a hooker after she stole Alans joke.

Brilliant!
    Another bit i kinda missed on first watch.

Will be worth another watch this evening!

Defo could use another watch. A lot of the word play goes over my head the first time around.

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I honestly havent watched any AP in years but thought the first episode was pretty good, if a little forced in some scenes. Looking forward to the rest of the series. I rewatched it with the wife today, caught jokes that I missed initially too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is it repeated?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,587 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Slightly disappointed with the 1st episode if I'm honest.

The problem is that I had been watching KMKYWAP and the travel lodge series the last few weeks, and they are really good, so I'm obviously comparing them.

But it had a few cracking lines in it, so I have hope it'll get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Ferajacka

NIMAN wrote: »
    Slightly disappointed with the 1st episode if I'm honest.

The problem is that I had been watching KMKYWAP and the travel lodge series the last few weeks, and they are really good, so I'm obviously comparing them.

But it had a few cracking lines in it, so I have hope it'll get better.
    It's definitely in need of a second watch - I was very disappointed with it the first time because maybe the format of the show is not what i'm used to,
    Alan seemed secondary to the co presenter,
    as a viewer and Alan fan I nearly felt sorry for him as he seemed out of place and totally cringing through it. - But then that's the point of it.
    On a second watch I got past that and saw the jokes alot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

NIMAN wrote: »

Maybe that's my problem too, as I have these on rotation almost every other week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,532 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

talking about the show on Moncrieff now , Tv on the radio .

Advertisement