Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Partridge Superthread - Sponsored by Dettol

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Maybe that's my problem too, as I have these on rotation almost every other week.
    Every other week? It sounds like you need to upgrade... TO A NEW FACE!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It shouldn't need saying at this stage but please do not share links to illegal streams / copies of shows. Posts to these have been deleted.

It's all in the charter, feel free to take a look in case it's unfamiliar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I hate the fact that Alan has been embraced by the mainstream. It used to be a cult comedy show with claws, but now it's more likely to amuse rather than offend the likes of Eamon Holmes and other banal celebrities. Oh look, here's some twat having an Alan Partridge moment...hahaha...f*ck off! It's all getting a bit too cosy with Alan. I love the way people in this thread are talking about appreciating the show more after watching it a second time, combing through the show for meagre laughs. I used to watch Alan and nearly die with laughter. I remember nearly having a fit watching Crash Bang Wallop What A Video, and my wife thinking that I was ill. I used to cry with laughter watching it, and still do, even though I have seen it hundreds of times...Alan used to be hysterical and edgy, not something that was embraced by the mainstream pricks. You didn't have to actively look for jokes to get a laugh out of it; it was so well written and performed, the laughs were non-stop. He's just not funny anymore. I'm so ****ing angry and sad about this!!! :mad:

I'm sitting down now to watch Anglian Lives just to calm myself, and remind myself of the glory days.

I hate the fact that Alan has been embraced by the mainstream. It used to be a cult comedy show with claws, but now it's more likely to amuse rather than offend the likes of Eamon Holmes and other banal celebrities. Oh look, here's some twat having an Alan Partridge moment...hahaha...f*ck off! It's all getting a bit too cosy with Alan. I love the way people in this thread are talking about appreciating the show more after watching it a second time, combing through the show for meagre laughs. I used to watch Alan and nearly die with laughter. I remember nearly having a fit watching Crash Bang Wallop What A Video, and my wife thinking that I was ill. I used to cry with laughter watching it, and still do, even though I have seen it hundreds of times...Alan used to be hysterical and edgy, not something that was embraced by the mainstream pricks. You didn't have to actively look for jokes to get a laugh out of it; it was so well written and performed, the laughs were non-stop. He's just not funny anymore. I'm so ****ing angry and sad about this!!! :mad:

I'm sitting down now to watch Anglian Lives just to calm myself, and remind myself of the glory days.
    Art you should get yourself a copy of this!

DdKiB6yW4AAE4Y5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Autecher wrote: »
    Art you should get yourself a copy of this!

DdKiB6yW4AAE4Y5.jpg

Don’t fall asleep while listening to it, there are some shocking statistics on that.

And my take on it is that Alan Partridge was "embraced by the mainstream" as you put it years ago. That's why the character has interviewed Noel Gallagher at the height of his Oasis fame, interviewed Roger Daltrey, hosted that big Comedy event at the Royal Albert Hall in 2005, had a movie etc...
    A lot of the stuff the character has done make no sense since he is supposed to be a z list celebrity yet he hosts that comedy event or goes on the Jonathan Ross show etc...
    My honest opinion is that Scissored Isle and season 1 of I'm Alan Partridge are the best Partridge things and the movie is the worst. I really liked the first episode of the new series. It was a bit clunky at times but it's a new format and let's see how it improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Not an amazing episode, but it had its moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Same experience for our house in college, set the tape one night for Im Alan Partridge and went out, when we came back in drunk we stuck it on, Alan had the Toblerone binge-eating flashback, it just came out of nowhere, people had to get sick in the kitchen sink we were laughing so hard, I honestly thought I was going to choke that night.

Autecher wrote: »
    And my take on it is that Alan Partridge was "embraced by the mainstream" as you put it years ago. That's why the character has interviewed Noel Gallagher at the height of his Oasis fame, interviewed Roger Daltrey, hosted that big Comedy event at the Royal Albert Hall in 2005, had a movie etc...
    A lot of the stuff the character has done make no sense since he is supposed to be a z list celebrity yet he hosts that comedy event or goes on the Jonathan Ross show etc...
    My honest opinion is that Scissored Isle and season 1 of I'm Alan Partridge are the best Partridge things and the movie is the worst. I really liked the first episode of the new series. It was a bit clunky at times but it's a new format and let's see how it improves.

Ok, I should have said Alan is being embraced by the **** mainstream now, the lowest rung of it. At least Noel Gallagher and Roger Daltrey had talent (plus Roger was brilliant in his interview, a very good actor). I view Alan hosting the comedy awards/going on chat shows as non canon :) Actually I view Alpha Papa as non canon too!

I don't like in the new show that they didn't build up Alan's return to the BBC. For years he was chasing it, without success, and now suddenly he just gets it out of the blue, even though he was only working in local radio in Norfolk. If they had worked in Alan's raised profile from the events of Alpha Papa, then it might flow easier, but there's no thought behind it at all. Lame writing. Just totally lazy. I'd love if they had showed Alan presenting for a few minutes, and then cut to him backstage dealing with the producers/fighting with his co-host/talking to Lynn and Simon backstage in his dressing room/conducting his private life, like in the Larry Sanders show. It's just a very weird show now.

I'm away now to listen to Alan's Deep Bath with Dan's wife (who was a rather saucy minx :D)

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Same experience for our house in college, set the tape one night for Im Alan Partridge and went out, when we came back in drunk we stuck it on, Alan had the Toblerone binge-eating flashback, it just came out of nowhere, people had to get sick in the kitchen sink we were laughing so hard, I honestly thought I was going to choke that night.

EXACTLY!!! That is what I am talking about. I remember being in the tv room in uni halls of residence on a Monday night watching Partridge, and rolling on the floor, when the farmers dropped the cow on him..."I can feel an udder". So many great lines "I've seen the big eared boys on farm", "cone't you take a joke? Oh, **** off!", "dr. no vocal chords", "Michael was telling me about a friend of his who slept with a land rover"...****ing nuts. It was brilliant!

Someone on the guardian website said it, that it is missing the surreal element to it. I'm guessing that came from Peter Baynham and possibly Armando Iannucci. Iannucci said he hates Alan, and wants him to suffer, but since he ceased involvement with the show, Coogan has embraced Alan, and is too fond of him. The contempt for the character has gone. Alan doesn't suffer like he used to, and certainly not in the crazy ways he used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the Toblerone eating scene is from IAP season 2, which when it aired I thought was really disappointing compared to the first season (I think there was 5 years between them). So let's not jump to any hasty conclusions.

Ok, I should have said Alan is being embraced by the **** mainstream now, the lowest rung of it. At least Noel Gallagher and Roger Daltrey had talent (plus Roger was brilliant in his interview, a very good actor). I view Alan hosting the comedy awards/going on chat shows as non canon :) Actually I view Alpha Papa as non canon too!

I don't like in the new show that they didn't build up Alan's return to the BBC. For years he was chasing it, without success, and now suddenly he just gets it out of the blue, even though he was only working in local radio in Norfolk. If they had worked in Alan's raised profile from the events of Alpha Papa, then it might flow easier, but there's no thought behind it at all. Lame writing. Just totally lazy. I'd love if they had showed Alan presenting for a few minutes, and then cut to him backstage dealing with the producers/fighting with his co-host/talking to Lynn and Simon backstage in his dressing room/conducting his private life, like in the Larry Sanders show. It's just a very weird show now.

I'm away now to listen to Alan's Deep Bath with Dan's wife (who was a rather saucy minx :D)
    Yeah I get you but every episode is going to be in real time is my understanding so no time for backstage stuff though I think there will also be live "on location" scenes too. I don't want to say too much for fear of spoiling things but I think the story is that it Alan being called up to replace the regular host was all very last minute and it was even touched on in the first episode that Alan was much cheaper to hire than a more seasoned presenter. I think the character has evolved for the better personally as I mentioned in an earlier post, there is only so much of Alan bullying people and Alan suffering I can take before I dislike or feel bad for characters to the point I don't want to see them anymore. (MMM season 1 being a good example)

It's horses for courses of course my friend but just be warned if this friendly debate starts getting personal I will arm myself with an apple pie and stand in front of you.

The temperature inside this apple pie is over 1000 degrees. If I squeeze it, a jet of molten Bramley apple will squirt out. It could go your way; could go mine. Either way, one of us is going down.

Alan: I have someone on the line who fears he may be a gay. He's married so he wishes to remain anonymous. I shall only be using his Christian name. I'm talking to Domingo in Little Oakley. (caller abruptly hangs up). No? He's gone...marvellous little tapas bar there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Alan: What happens after we die? Frederick emails to say he has four children. He has a new baby boy, Joshua, and his daughter has just started school. He thinks that after death there is NOTHING.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Traffic Report: On the A17, a truck has overturned, shedding its load of pampers over both carriageways.
    Simon: Sounds like the set up to a joke, doesn't it? The police don't yet know
    which skid marks....
    Alan: Just to stop you, there has been a fatality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

You need to get out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ahhhhhhhhhh feeeeeeck off

Shut it, you compleme cunms! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭.red.

Shut it, you compleme cunms! :)
    What you meant to say was..........
    Fluck off you Clunt!

• Advertisement

Alan: Okay, here's Marc Almond. I heard an awful story about him the other day. I'm sure it can't be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

That was one of the biggest stadium bands in the world, R. E. O Speedwagon

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

George Hamilton commentating on the Athletics just now ...

"and the Woman from Beethoven's home city is running like a Metronome"

Good to see Sport Commentators are still carrying the torch long after Alan buggered off into Light Entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,579 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

That was sweating lunatic Iggy Pop, part of our Tuesday night ‘Punk Pack’, which is climaxing at midnight with Madness. This is ‘Norfolk Nights’ with Alan Partridge, and we’re in the middle of ‘Super Talk’.

Super Talk! Brought to you by Ginster’s Pasties!

Tonight we’re Super Talking about evil dogs. We’ve all seen them in those undesirable areas. Donald from Hemsby has e-mailed us to say, ‘dangerous dogs should simply have their teeth replaced with strips of rubber’. I think that’s an excellent idea. I’m going to make him our e-mail of the evening.

E-mail of the evening!

And Donald wins our top prize which is a kind of Action Man military figure, it’s got all kinds of features, and on the box it says ‘not suitable for children’. I wouldn’t take any notice of that. Although my cousin did once buy a pirated Tweenie from a covered market in Brundall, and it was full of soiled bandages. Anyway, time for music now. Who’s this beautiful blonde man with a lovely voice? It’s Annie Lennox.

That was sweating lunatic Iggy Pop, part of our Tuesday night ‘Punk Pack’, which is climaxing at midnight with Madness. This is ‘Norfolk Nights’ with Alan Partridge, and we’re in the middle of ‘Super Talk’.

Tonight we’re Super Talking about evil dogs. We’ve all seen them in those undesirable areas. Donald from Hemsby has e-mailed us to say, ‘dangerous dogs should simply have their teeth replaced with strips of rubber’. I think that’s an excellent idea. I’m going to make him our e-mail of the evening.

E-mail of the evening!

And Donald wins our top prize which is a kind of Action Man military figure, it’s got all kinds of features, and on the box it says ‘not suitable for children’. I wouldn’t take any notice of that. Although my cousin did once buy a pirated Tweenie from a covered market in Brundall, and it was full of soiled bandages. Anyway, time for music now. Who’s this beautiful blonde man with a lovely voice? It’s Annie Lennox.

It's funny, some Alan quotes have lodged in my mind and I use them without thinking. "Undesirable areas" is definitely one of them, and I say it in Alan's voice, rolling my r's like he does. My worst one is whenever I eat anything hot/spicy, or anytime I'm out of breath, I say "oh, ladyboys", sometimes in company that do not get the reference and look at me funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

E-mail of the evening!

It's funny, some Alan quotes have lodged in my mind and I use them without thinking. "Undesirable areas" is definitely one of them, and I say it in Alan's voice, rolling my r's like he does. My worst one is whenever I eat anything hot/spicy, or anytime I'm out of breath, I say "oh, ladyboys", sometimes in company that do not get the reference and look at me funny.
    I say "now you're talking my language" in the voice box tone very often when someone mentions going for a drink or whatever..

I live in America, nobody knows Alan Partridge here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Too interested in futuristic rugby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Next time you’re at a bar getting the round, say “gentlemen choose your weapons”
    If they are uninitiated they won’t know what you mean, then you get in your second Partidge quote “I’m offering to buy you a drink”.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Too interested in futuristic rugby?
    I'm just gonna grab a Dr Pepper from the cooler.
    Stick it on my tab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,579 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Hi kids, it’s great to be back in my fine old school. I nearly sent my son Fernando here, but I came into some money, and was able to educate him privately. You can’t muck about when it comes to your own kids. Let me tell you a bit about myself. I present a military-based quiz show on a daytime digital channel called UK Conquest. It’s got 8,000 viewers. To put that in perspective, it’s eleven times the population of Hemsby. Basically, terrestrial TV is a dead duck, and who watches a dead duck? Not even its mother. She just flies off depressed.

I want to show you an example now of the kind of sell through video that I make. By the way there are some strobe effects in this, so please, any epileptics get out now. Because statistically, one of you is...and two of you are gay. By the way guys, if you are gay, please remember…rubber up. At your age it’s still illegal. You don’t want to end up in prison. Because some of those guys don’t care how old you are, or if you’re gay. This was filmed two years ago, and I have let myself go a little.

Advertisement