Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Partridge Superthread - Sponsored by Dettol

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dan Snow was played by Simon or was it Garfunkel?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

"The great war of China."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,588 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thought I had the box set to record and I didn't!

Is it repeated at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

The tweets coming up in the background, 'he will be mist'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Bit of a ropey start but definitely found itself by the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

There were some amusing moments but nothing really laugh out loud. It's such a strange idea for a show. We have to spend so much time watching Alan and the co-host, who brings nothing to the show, apart from being a bit of eye candy. We don't get to see Alan interacting with Lynn or Simon much. What a waste of time this is. They're trying to be more clever funny, than just funny. Where are the laughs? With IAP they got criticised for having live audience laughter, but at least it showed them what the audience found funny. I don't know who they are trying to appeal to with this version of Alan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

There were some amusing moments but nothing really laugh out loud.

I love Partridge but for me it's been that way since I'm Alan Partridge.
    The movie, mid morning matters & this for me aren't on that level. Good but nothing more. I'm not sure if it's the show formats that don't click with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I was laughing throughout, better than last week's episode. The battlefield report was hilarious. I hadn't noticed the guy falling off the "tiered seating borrowed from Crufts" until someone put the clip on Twitter.

I assumed at the end Lynn was sending the slanderous tweets, maybe that will be revealed next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭brian_t

I read a review of episode one in the current Television Guide (not the RTE Guide).

I don't watch Newsnight but apparently the outfit that Emily Maitlis wore in the lift scene was the same one as she wore on Newsnight later that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

loyatemu wrote: »
    I assumed at the end Lynn was sending the slanderous tweets, maybe that will be revealed next week.

Hadn't thought of that! It absolutely makes sense though. The tweets sounded like something that Alan would dictate and he did make a point of drawing attention to them and reading them out even after the feed was cut.

Alan would want to be careful though, lest the episode where he chased three members of Pan’s People around Television Center in his underpants gets dredged up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

brian_t wrote: »
    I read a review of episode one in the current Television Guide (not the RTE Guide).

I don't watch Newsnight but apparently the outfit that Emily Maitlis wore in the lift scene was the same one as she wore on Newsnight later that night.

Ha, very good.

I didn't notice that at the time but she did sign off from Newsnight that evening by saying "and on that Bombshell ..." which I thought was a nice subtle nod to her Partridge cameo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I'll wait for the episode where he gets sacked and himself and Lynn are back in the Travelodge, or a mobile home....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I spend three hours in Newcastle, drinking, smoking and waiting.

I seen someone on Twitter say, this is the actually stop over time for the last train into Newcastle until the Metro starts again in the morning!

Really enjoyed last night...'He will be mist', the guy falling off the stage, Alan repeating that the other presenters father was head of factual programmes. Alan's little jog!!

Alan's pure joy in reading out those tweets!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I'll wait for the episode where he gets sacked and himself and Lynn are back in the Travelodge, or a mobile home....:)

i reckon his co-host will have a meltdown live on TV and turn on him...like the way the travel-lodge manager turned on him :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

now your talking!! missed the 1st week's episode havent seen it yet. i thought it was very poor last night. the only bits i found really funny was when he was talking to Lynn and the bit at the end with the tweets. The rest of it i thought was average. Those other characters added nothing really. Hope it improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Armando Iannucci's participation with Partridge has reduced over the years as he got more involved with other projects, but he wrote for MMM series one, gave Alpha Papa a quick polish, and was also involved with I, Partridge. Since then he has not supervised Partridge, and I think it has gone seriously downhill. The best of Partridge has had the core of Coogan and Iannucci with another writer/s (Marber, Baynham, Gibbons brothers). We need to get Iannucci back on board to steer the ship. Too many half ideas in the new show that don't work, and not enough big laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I thought it was a big improvement from the first episode. Loved the audience member getting pushed off and the anagram mix up. But the highlight was definitely the "Peasants' revolt". His line of the peasants being "razzed up on scrumpy and injustice" was gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭brian_t

I see the overnight ratings have Warren at 3.83m (20.7%)

and

This Time with Alan Partridge at 3.3m (18.2%)

This weeks overnight ratings. I don't think that having Warren on before it does Alan any favours.

Warren (BBC1, 9pm): 2.4m (12.8%)

This Time with Alan Partridge (BBC1, 9.30pm): 1.9m (10.5%)

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2302221/the-ratings-thread-part-72/p508

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

I enjoy this but its not near his best mainly due to the format of the show. Of all the Alan Partridge stuff my least favourite was the Knowing Me Knowing You series. This because it sets him on a TV show and I dont think we get the best out of the character in that setting. I think the best laughs for Partridge is stuff from his 'real' life. You truly get a feel for how pathetic an individual he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

excuse me,

but i'll have you know Alan is far from a pathetic individual..he's the main presenter of mid morning matters on north norfolk digital radio which has the third highest listenership on digital radio at that time of day in the north norfolk area

he's massive compared to you and you're nothing compared to him

now F,,k off!

(;))

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

fryup wrote: »
    but i'll have you know Alan is far from a pathetic individual..he's the main presenter of mid morning matters on north norfolk digital radio which has the third highest listenership on digital radio at that time of day in the north norfolk area
    (;))

2k less than Wally Banter tho' :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

lads i looked up the text from last night and this was the best line. only one that made me laugh out loud. Talking to Lynn..

"Have you ever seen the devil's nanny from the film The Omen?"

"No, why?"

"You remind me of her, that's all. Try saying 'have no fear little one, I'm here to protect thee.'"

"Have no fear little one, I'm here to protect thee."

"If you'd knocked on my door at Halloween I would have fouled my unders. And then given you some sweets."

That last bit was classic. Hah!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    lads i looked up the text from last night and this was the best line. only one that made me laugh out loud. Talking to Lynn..

"Have you ever seen the devil's nanny from the film The Omen?"

"No, why?"

"You remind me of her, that's all. Try saying 'have no fear little one, I'm here to protect thee.'"

"Have no fear little one, I'm here to protect thee."

"If you'd knocked on my door at Halloween I would have fouled my unders. And then given you some sweets."

That last bit was classic. Hah!

Lol, and shortly before that.

Alan moaning to Lynn. "Such a load of toss! Sigh...he was just a bore that ate too much sirloin till his colon fff threw in the towel" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I enjoyed the second episode. On my second viewing I noticed just before Alan finishes the peasant with his sword he pleads "I've got kids". Burst out laughing at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

This weeks overnight ratings. I don't think that having Warren on before it does Alan any favours.

Warren (BBC1, 9pm): 2.4m (12.8%)

This Time with Alan Partridge (BBC1, 9.30pm): 1.9m (10.5%)

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2302221/the-ratings-thread-part-72/p508

The ratings were a ninth of what we could have expected, they started badly, they got worse…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Morning brew

Funnily enough, (and lord knows we're searching for funny here), I thought the 2nd half of the episode this week was so much better than episode 1 and first half of episode 2- not saying a lot I know, but the tables turned at the end was a good twist.

As a few have said, he's totally constrained here in the TV studio- I think if they had done a Big Brother/reality TV sort of setting it would have given far more scope for something original- he's been here and done this before and it's just not as good second time around. Even in the original series he moved on to radio, guest appearances,hotels, caravans- all setting had their own unique characteristics for comedy excellence.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I bet the sparrow was written into the story because he pronounces it like a boss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The oul one in the audience with the mic :)

Advertisement