Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Partridge Superthread - Sponsored by Dettol

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Thargor wrote: »
    "Mighty" :D

Coogan always seemed very knowledgeable about Irish stuff in his comedy.

He's one of our own, shure

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Was good alright. He broke out his brown stripy tie, that was actually fashionable back about 1974.

still is in mayo in 2019 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

alan-partridge-episode-4.jpg?w968

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Wont happen. Racism and stereotyping are fine when its as funny as that.

Also the wrong minority type and skin color to cause a rumpus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Noway that was coogan playing the Irish lookalike

How much money would you like to bet on that? Coogan is an incredible impersonator and due to his Irish connections and time spent here, he has Irish accents down to a tea. I'd go so far as to say he is best impersonator of regional Irish accents since Neil Tobin.

If you are in any doubt that this wasn't Coogan, watch this brief clip about his character in Moone Boy. The Martin Brennan character is an evolution of this.

https://youtu.be/pJNGfUYMJNY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

When You Were Sweet Sixteen was very funny to start with (and Martin Brennan did a nice version)

then they turned it up to eleven with the IRA Medley.

It was so well crafted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

“How long have you been an Alan impersonator “?

“‘‘Tis a weak Thuuurssadaaay”!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Lovely stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Very sexual. The shot of just her head bobbing up and down was also well done!

https://twitter.com/TobyonTV/status/1107770595213824006

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Brennan sketch classic case of pitfalls of live tv.

They think its a harmless segment about impersonators and it ends up propaganda for the IRA.

Has Alan learned nothing from shooting a man on live tv!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Wont happen. Racism and stereotyping are fine when its as funny as that.

Yep. That, and Irish people have a sense of humour and don't tend to cry victim. But there will be some beardy gender studies student feverishly hammering out his blog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Points of View this week should be interesting to see if anyone complains.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

lads that was one of the greatest 5 minutes of comedy humour you will ever see.
    p flynn wearing terry wogans jacket giving alan an illegal tortoise (named alun) nodding his head he can get more getting catchphrase wrong haha!! and then literally hijacks the show at the end with ira songs. genius.
    think how many times this has happened joe duffy ryan t etc. an all time classic clip.
    hopefully joe fateen duffy is outraged..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

a lovely irish jesture!

I see some sad Celtic jersey wearing ***** on Twitter are already trying to bait the "huns" as they refer to them as, over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭RickBlaine

The brilliant thing about that Irish character is that is comes from a place of truth and understanding. I definitely recognized a lot of traits of middle aged men from the west of Ireland. Contrast this with a lot of other "Irish" comedy characters, especially from America, which are mostly complete BS.

https://twitter.com/Bogus2387/status/1107816369230364672

Just rewatching the scene and it is just perfect. Up there with any of the best Partridge moments. An Irish rebel medley beside a figure representing MI5/6 British icon James Bond, who glances furtively at the presenters then shakes his head disapprovingly. Also at the end of the credits Partridge can be heard saying "Who are we going to blame. Find out who booked them and sack her"!

The CPR demonstration on a sex doll to the sound of Queen's Another One Bites The Dust was also genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Disgraceful ****e and you all lapping it up. If he'd blacked up you'd all be crying about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Disgraceful ****e and you all lapping it up. If he'd blacked up you'd all be crying about it.

Says old Mr Brennan

• Advertisement

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Says old Mr Brennan

That's a stupid thing to come back with. I'm not doing insulting bog-Irish sketches.

You can always bank on a british comedian to take it to the gutter when they're out of ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭jaykay74

That's a stupid thing to come back with. I'm not doing insulting bog-Irish sketches.

You can always bank on a british comedian to take it to the gutter when they're out of ideas.

I wasn't insulted and I know who the target of the joke was but carry on being offended. :D

Who was the target of the joke btw in your opinion ?

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I wasn't insulted and I know who the target of the joke was but carry on being offended. :D

Who was the target of the joke btw in your opinion ?

Like I said, if he'd blacked up or pulled his eyes wide and started saying ah-so there would be a flood of tears coming from this. We're an easy target, even to ourselves by the look of it the way this was lapped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Like I said, if he'd blacked up or pulled his eyes wide and started saying ah-so there would be a flood of tears coming from this. We're an easy target, even to ourselves by the look of it the way this was lapped up.

Relax

Relax

Of course, it's only the Irish after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

Steve Coogan's parents are Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Indeed. Coogan is known for his Irish impersonations for decades. Anyone remember his thinly-veiled Gerry Adams impersonation on The Day Today? Graham Linehan and Arthur Matthews had originally intended to have him play the role of Eurovision presenter that John Kenny did in Father Ted.

Your point? I've English cousins with Irish parents who are equally as big a disgrace at making a mockery of us for a laugh. Luckily they all don't have the same platform he does.

Anyway, I'll let you all back to your self loathing. Maybe he'll do a jig and some wife beating next week for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Another very enjoyable episode. How great is it to have regularly scheduled Partridge on TV again :D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Everything about the character seemed pretty authentic to me, everything down to the way he was dressed reminded me of several people from my own village. I thought it was fairly obvious it was created by someone who had spent a lot of time in this part of the country over the years.

Advertisement